Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Hi All,

I guess not many people would post on a Mac forum a question about shoes - but what the heck, you won't find out if you don't ask. :p

I am just looking for some very comfy shoes, going to be heading to Japan for the 2nd time in January, alot of walking around Tokyo last time and my feet were killing me. I was just wearing some old skate shoes, had to stop and get a foot massage. Haha

So what are your suggestions? Looking for something with very good foot support since I've got a bit of a high arch in the middle of my foot.

Cheers for any suggestions.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Some of the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn are Asics gel nimbus. They are pretty heavily padded and are good for high arches as well. I wore a pair for working last summer, and I was on my feet 8 hours a day, and while my feet were still a bit tired afterwards, they were much better than other shoes I have had.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Anything Keen makes. They're more comfortable than any tennis shoes I've ever worn (Nike, Addidas, New Balance). The most comfortable I've worn from Keen is The Austin. I can work on my feet all day and still love having them on at night. They hold up too. I've had my Austins for four years and they haven't lost a stitch yet. Expensive but totally worth it.

Last edited:

harrisondavies

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Handmade Alden 405's from Alden in SanFrancisco. Best boots ever.

Forgot to add: Tailor made and orthopaedic.

http://www.aldenshoes.com/Store/DrawProducts.aspx?CategoryID=109

Expensive but so worth it. and they will resole and fix upper inners for like $40 I think down the line.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I've been buying mostly Ecco shoes since I found out about them a few years back.

My chosen travel shoe (well, I wear them every day too) is the Ecco Chiltern. These are leather waterproof breathable gore-tex lined shoes, with solid outdoor soles. They're fine for walking all day, and they're still smart enough to go out in for the evening. They're ideal for one bag/lightweight travel as you don't need to carry other shoes with you.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I have several foot problems. I forget what the terms are but I have to wear orthopedic inserts when wearing boots.

The most comfortable tennis shoes I have worn are made by Saucony. They actually make shoes to the correct size. So with them I can get a 13D which is my actual size on one of those foot measuring devices. With other brands I have to get a 14D or bigger and they are usually uncomfortable with the heel slipping or toes pinching.

As for boots I could not really say. My Wolverines with my insert are pretty comfortable. Because of the orthopedic insert I have to get size 15E boots. So I take what I can get.

d0ster

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
You can try checking out some KangaROOS on zappos.com. They are relatively cheap and feel like you are walking on air :)

keekl

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
PA
These Red Wing boots are pricey but excellent~I've owned several over the past quarter-century...I've tried cheaper brands (Timberland, Wolverine, etc) but end up going back to Red Wing~I'll wear cheap jeans and cheap shirts--save the money for good boots:cool:

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I've been wearing ONLY Merrell Ventilators for the past several years. It doesn't matter if I'm at a fair, being a tourist, going out to dinner, or on my feet for 14 hours at work...same shoes (yeah, I know...). Unless I'm doing something that requires a nicer shoe, which is about 4 times a year for me, I'm always wearing them. Too damn comfy.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Thanks for all the tips, it's good to know what's out there. I'm thinking I'll just take my Dr Martens and wear a few pairs of socks with them, I'm also going to try and find one of those gel inserts - can't hurt to try.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The boots I found are amazing. Wide fitting. Comfort king.

Meindl Dovre Extreme GTX Mountaineering & Hiking Boots 8, Brown https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002GI8H36/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ud8Gxb49P7MAP

Firstly, to note that this is a resurrection of a long dormant thread. (Check the dates). In itself, that need not be an issue, because the topic of comfortable, stylish, and well made shoes is a perennial one.

Anyway, another fan of Meindl here, I have had their boots and can attest to the fact that they are excellent.

I also wear Church's shoes (and boots) and, while they somewhat expensive, they are superb.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Weird. I got a message today from Macrumors saying someone had replied. Haha

Well, someone - a spammer - had resurrected the thread - but when I saw you had mentioned Meindl shoes, I thought to add my voice in support of that, as I have always found them excellent shoes - and boots (and I have had both).

Someone did, but it was spam. The moderators deleted it.

Yes, I reported the post in question.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
delete this post, this is an old thread...

An instruction, or a suggestion?

Anyway, while it is an old thread, it is not an old topic. People will always seek advice on what are the best ad most comfortable shoes for walking.

Since it was first started, certain shoe (or boot manufacturers) have become better known, while, conversely, others which used to enjoy an excellent reputation no longer really can be said to do so.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
An instruction, or a suggestion?

Anyway, while it is an old thread, it is not an old topic. People will always seek advice on what are the best ad most comfortable shoes for walking.

Since it was first started, certain shoe (or boot manufacturers) have become better known, while, conversely, others which used to enjoy an excellent reputation no longer really can be said to do so.
Well I made a genuine and honest recommendation here but quickly realized this thread was from 2012 so I deleted my answer. However my initial recommendations were Hoka One One & Altra. 2 brands the average person here won't be familiar with but are popular within running and ultra running communities.http://www.hokaoneone.com http://www.altrazerodrop.com These shoes offer maximum cushioning for maximum comfort. Hope that helps!

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Well I made a genuine and honest recommendation here but quickly realized this thread was from 2012 so I deleted my answer. However my initial recommendations were Hoka One One & Altra. 2 brands the average person here won't be familiar with but are popular within running and ultra running communities.http://www.hokaoneone.com http://www.altrazerodrop.com These shoes offer maximum cushioning for maximum comfort. Hope that helps!
Not exactly adherents to the barefoot running movement or the ideals that more cushioning leads to more problems, are they?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.