Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theelysium

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
I got the Stem Time Command alarm clock for Christmas. It is a nice clock, has a lot of unique features, but in order to use them I have to open their app and leave the app running, which is fine for me to leave the app running, however it blocks the phone's screen from locking.

Apparently all iPhone alarm clock developers have to do this or the app won't work and in turn the alarm clock won't work. Some stupid flaw in iOS.

My concern is leaving the iPhone screen on 8 - 10hrs at a time. Won't that wear out the screen or cause burn in?

The apps dim the screen to the lowest, but in my opinion it is not enough. It's still so bright I have to put a rag over it so the light does not keep me awake.

What do y'all think of this?
Would you want your iPhone left on?
Do you think it could damage the screen after a long time?

:confused:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The iPhone's screen is LED backlit. It can stay on for about 5 years non-stop. As for screen burn in, modern LCD screens don't suffer from this, unless they present a static image for days at a time. As long as you use the iPhone normally for a few hours a day, the screen won't suffer any damage.

theelysium

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
The iPhone's screen is LED backlit. It can stay on for about 5 years non-stop. As for screen burn in, modern LCD screens don't suffer from this, unless they present a static image for days at a time. As long as you use the iPhone normally for a few hours a day, the screen won't suffer any damage.

Yes but we are talking over night.

Here is an image. The screen stays lit like this the entire time it's being used on this clock. You can lock the screen, but then none of the feature of the clock will work.

Attachments

• tc-1.jpg
    tc-1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 189
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.