Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marktuk

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
I've never heard of the product, but reading the reviews it seems like a very poor design. I've got a screen protector on my iPad now and it didn't require any adhesive, it was just a piece of special material that is attracted to the screen (silicon based I guess).

I warn you though, it took me 4 attempts to get it on to the iPad without trapping dust underneath. I wasted 3 screen protectors at home, until I decided to try doing it at my office, the bright light and lower amount of dust there made it easier, but I still had trouble with a few specs of dust. Luckily I was able to remove them.

If I was to recommend a screen protector I would say look for one of the bubble free ones, they seem to be a much better design, I think MOSHI do one...

Not sure what to recommend for a rear, perhaps one of those Belkin hard covers?

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
your question answers itself....they really suck....

they keep selling becasue they have the Best Buy account and many simply don't know any better....

Reactions: Jalexa

jekyl

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Mid-Michigan
your question answers itself....they really suck....

they keep selling becasue they have the Best Buy account and many simply don't know any better....

Not sure I agree. I've never used ZAGG but have twice used Skinomi which I assume are the same thing. The protection to the back of my iPod Touch and iPad2 has been perfect. The front protection is complete and only very close inspection shows the shield is there at all. There is no difference in sensitivity to touch. Other "screen protectors" that I've used on other devices required replacement every few weeks do to scratching and "dulling" making the screens difficult to read and navigate. The Skinomi has never shown any wear at all. Some people prize the scratches on the backs of their "i" devices, I am not one of those people. Oh, I buy them for the rear protection, but since the kits come as either screen or full I use both.

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
I have one on my iPhone and I absolutely hated it at first. I even made a thread about it. It was all orange peely and bubbly. But after a few days it smoothed out and I've grown to love the rubbery texture. Now I love it and a bunch of my friends have got one after seeing mine.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Not sure I agree. I've never used ZAGG but have twice used Skinomi which I assume are the same thing. .

why would you write this when you do not have a Zagg?

Zagg's suck... search the entire internet for them...then are rubbery, they go on with water and don't last...plenty of other films that work better...period...I owned two a year apart on diff devices and ripped them off..Powersupport and Stenheil are two that are WAY better.

DIMEZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
MD
these are great if you get this done at a zagg booth or retail dealer. Looks like its not even there. you can even replace for $6 any time with lifetime warranty.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
ZAGG is thick and has some self healing properties. It is probably one of the most protecting screen protectors. It is hated for the rubbery texture and orange peel visual effect in the gloss, much like car clearcoat has.

Had a full body kit installed at mall booth on old WinMo phone, lasted life of phone, ~2yrs of use, and still on sitting retired in a drawer somewhere.

Its not that its bad, its personal preference. Fanboys and those who play company favorites and bash it for ***** and giggles.

I personally prefer Powersupport for their antiglare film (for my iPhone and iPad), and their crystal is very nice to if you want a perfectly clear glossy OEM glass type look and feel. Marks and what not on my PS protectors are there permanently, and don't heal back over, after 3mo the crystal PS rear could use replacing. Their thinness definitely doesn't feel like they give the same level of protection.

Last edited:

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Because most people that have had them or have them have the same opinion I do and that is that they feel horrible they dis color ,and expensive, the only positive is that they will protect your device against scratches. Power support are the best feeling and best wearing IMO and a little cheaper too.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Specifically on Amazon. Gets, on average, pretty bad reviews.
Please refer to the countless prior screen protector threads. And keep in mind that it is a subjective matter.

What is your experience?
Orange peel and tack that I didn't care for. I prefer PS and SGP. As with anything subjective, YMMV.

Its not that its bad, its personal preference.
How bad it is depends on personal preference.

SSpiro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Guys, does powersupport offer a full body protection?

That's what attracted me to Zagg, as well as the fact that you can get it installed at the mall and i dont have to try and do it myself.

Are the consumer products purchased online the same exact thing they install at the stores in the mall? I couldn't live with an orange peel or any distractions from the screen or colors..

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Guys, does powersupport offer a full body protection?

That's what attracted me to Zagg, as well as the fact that you can get it installed at the mall and i dont have to try and do it myself.

Are the consumer products purchased online the same exact thing they install at the stores in the mall? I couldn't live with an orange peel or any distractions from the screen or colors..
Powersupport, only front and back. A skin on the stainless steel band that forms the side frame...? I don't see the point.

Powersupport is easy to install. It's not a wet install. Both companies ship very clear easy to follow instructions. Find a clear, well lit work table and have at it.

What's sold in mall kiosks and online are the same thing.

Colors should not be distorted, it should be clear. How the orange peel and tackiness of their thick skin feels to you is personal preference. Maybe you have a friend with it on their phone? Maybe you goto the mall kiosk and they have some examples. Go try it, look and feel.

Billybaldin

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2011
Oregon
Fan of Zagg

I have been using Invisibleshield on my phones for years. I have NEVER had ANY problems with them. When it finally after almost a year starts to peel at the edges I simply take it to the kiosk in the mall and they hand me a new one.. Done and done. Sure, I could pay the 5 bucks to have them install it but its easy enough to put on.
I dont understand the negative feedback either. Maybe its just people who dont understand basic instructions and blame Zagg..

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I wouldn't say there is anything "wrong" with Zagg skins. They work as advertised assuming you install them correctly. However, my problem with Zagg is that of all the "self-healing" skins, they are probably one of the worse due to the issues mention (tacky feel and orange peel effect). IMO, Zagg is only popular due to their retail presence. If more people were aware of the other, and IMO better options, like PhantomSkinz, Wrapsol, Ghost Armor, and BSE then Zagg would not be as popular.

As for the bad reviews on sites like Amazon, I would assume some of that it partly due to bad self installations... Either too much liquid used or not enough patience.

----------

I have been using Invisibleshield on my phones for years. I have NEVER had ANY problems with them. When it finally after almost a year starts to peel at the edges I simply take it to the kiosk in the mall and they hand me a new one.. Done and done. Sure, I could pay the 5 bucks to have them install it but its easy enough to put on.
I dont understand the negative feedback either. Maybe its just people who dont understand basic instructions and blame Zagg..

As I said, Zagg works as advertised if installed correctly, but if you have never used anything else then you don't know what you are missing. :p I used Zagg for the first couple times until I learned about other options and they turned out to be better and in most cases cheaper.

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Zagg skins

There are different types of them. I recently purchased a "HD" screen protector, which does not have the orange peel feel. It is shiny and extremely clear. Goes on with a liquid spray, but I had it installed at a kiosk, money well spent.

I also purchased a Leaatherskin which are dyed to match the Apple leather smart over and it makes for a nice "outfit". The Leather skin has developed a nice patina just one the Smart Cover with use.

They now have a glass screen protector, but it is only for the iPhone and quite spendy.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
There are different types of them. I recently purchased a "HD" screen protector, which does not have the orange peel feel. It is shiny and extremely clear. Goes on with a liquid spray, but I had it installed at a kiosk, money well spent.

I also purchased a Leaatherskin which are dyed to match the Apple leather smart over and it makes for a nice "outfit". The Leather skin has developed a nice patina just one the Smart Cover with use.

They now have a glass screen protector, but it is only for the iPhone and quite spendy.

The "HD" version is rather new and I have not used that, but from what I seen is something similar to what Phantomskinz and Ghost Armor already do, but at a higher price. However, I believe we are speaking about the standard "Invisible Shield" which when compared to the competition is sub par.

Vinny096

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
Zagg - screen protector

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

told me that my order was on its way then almost 3 weeks after ordering they informed me was discontinued and rudely offered only a gift card and not a refund.... if my complaints are listened to then I will amend my review of this (thus far) at best inefficient cowboys and at worst scurrilous company.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I used a few of them long ago back when I used to think iPhones needed screen protectors. They work very well provided you can properly get them on. I just didn't like the way they felt. The rubbery feeling. I prefer the feel of the actual phone screen.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
its not that they suck its just they are more expensive and inflated then they need to be, for what you get with $20 you can get a full body for like $5 off amazon for the basically the same quality.

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

told me that my order was on its way then almost 3 weeks after ordering they informed me was discontinued and rudely offered only a gift card and not a refund.... if my complaints are listened to then I will amend my review of this (thus far) at best inefficient cowboys and at worst scurrilous company.

Chargeback on them. :cool:

CrimsonKnight

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Denver, CO
I bought a zagg invisible shield for my iPhone 6 plus and removed it after a few weeks. It has a horrible rubbery feel to it.

I enjoyed the power support anti glare protectors they sell at the apple stores a lot more.

johnc22

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Atlanta
I've got Zagg glass on my iPhone 6 Plus and I like it though I suppose the fit could be more accurate. I did have a Zagg wet-install full body kit on my iPhone 4 and it sucked. It had an orange peel texture and impeded easy gliding of your finger across the screen (a key feature of touch phones). I ripped it off after a few weeks.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
I dont know why but most are saying their protector sucks for iPhone 6 just dont know about the iPad

The zagg original/HD is the one that feels really rubbery and suffers from the orange peel effect.

The HDX is still rubber in design (I thought it might have been PET, but it is not) but of much higher quality. Best on the 6 so far. It is case friendly right now and that will cause normal users to give bad reviews. The rubber on it will always cause Glass users to give bad reviews, just ignore that.

The zagg glass has the same coverage as the HDX, best feel to it. There are three issues with them:
1) no full coverage yet...bad reviews, not justified for case friendly
2) cracks...this is probably caused by those going naked or have a flush face for the screen protector
3) edgelift...the edges don't adhere...I've only seen one other poster say this happens, zagg says it is a defect and shouldn't have. I went to BB today to confirm this...theirs are perfect, and am getting a replacement ordered from zagg. I'll have BB install it this time so they can go through their endless supply.

tonybot3

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2017
tonybot3 matters
Its a scam in the sense that the customer sees "lifetime warranty" and figures, "hey these things must be pretty tough", when in reality, they are as easily scratchable as a 2 dollar generic version. They actually WANT you to pursue the warranty, because they make more money when they charge you 10 bucks for shipment. Its a never ending cycle. Charge the customer 50 bucks for a $2dollar screeen, then charge them another $10 everytime they want to refresh it when it gets scratched.

Reactions: Jalexa
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.