Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

born4sky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
I have two iPhones that I am using using under one iTunes account... (mine and wife's)

1) So with a release of iCloud I have to get another iTunes account? so it will work properly

2) whats happens with all purchases? can I share them under two accounts?

3) if I wont get 2nd itunes account all two phones will have same content on them due auto syncing?

can somebody explain this to me... I am confused

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I have two iPhones that I am using using under one iTunes account... (mine and wife's)

1) So with a release of iCloud I have to get another iTunes account? so it will work properly

2) whats happens with all purchases? can I share them under two accounts?

3) if I wont get 2nd itunes account all two phones will have same content on them due auto syncing?

can somebody explain this to me... I am confused

1) no

2) yes

3) no

get an icloud acct for your wife. Share the same itunes account on both.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
These questions are explained well on the website but to answer:

1) you can have same iTunes/appp store IDs on both your phones so you can share purchases
2) You can have separate iCloud accounts (set up new @mes for both of you) so your personal info (photos, calendar, email, contacts, etc) remain separate.

rwb1921

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
So if you are sharing an Itunes account for two Iphones, how can you have both phones have different content from the same music library? Icloud would auto sync the content from the library to both phones would it not? How would you select some songs for one phone and another set of songs for the other phone from that same library?

Also, if using two libraries with same account ID, how do you select the libraries for each phone? Have to use cable and not Icloud?

Maybe doing it the old fashioned way with cable is the best way to go for both phones for music content?

Thanks

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
So if you are sharing an Itunes account for two Iphones, how can you have both phones have different content from the same music library? Icloud would auto sync the content from the library to both phones would it not? How would you select some songs for one phone and another set of songs for the other phone from that same library?

Also, if using two libraries with same account ID, how do you select the libraries for each phone? Have to use cable and not Icloud?

Maybe doing it the old fashioned way with cable is the best way to go for both phones for music content?

Thanks

Different question. First, iCloud does not auto sync your music libraries. You are referring to iTunes Match. When this goes live, which it isn't for a month or so, you can upload music to it from multiple computers etc. Then, on your phone, you tell it to use iCloud. All your current music, playlists, etc is erased. All music in iTunes Match is then presented on your phone for download. You both can then download any music you want. You will have to reset up playlists.

rwb1921

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Different question. First, iCloud does not auto sync your music libraries. You are referring to iTunes Match. When this goes live, which it isn't for a month or so, you can upload music to it from multiple computers etc. Then, on your phone, you tell it to use iCloud. All your current music, playlists, etc is erased. All music in iTunes Match is then presented on your phone for download. You both can then download any music you want. You will have to reset up playlists.

Ok, I think I got it. I will just not use Itunes match and sync via cable as we do now. That will work best for us.

Thanks for the reply.

born4sky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
thanks everyone for clarifying this for me... this will make my life so much easier

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Does getting a new separate icloud account mean getting a new appleId for that phone (just for icloud)?

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Does getting a new separate icloud account mean getting a new appleId for that phone (just for icloud)?

Yes and thats the point. I don't like using the term Apple ID now as its confusing.

I say iCloud ID and App Store/Itunes ID (although there are more as you could also have one for FaceTime that is different but...)

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Yes and thats the point. I don't like using the term Apple ID now as its confusing.

I say iCloud ID and App Store/Itunes ID (although there are more as you could also have one for FaceTime that is different but...)

Thanks,
Can the new icloud id be set up directly on the phone?

naples09

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2011
Following this theme. I get my new phone on Friday and my wife already has an iPhone 4.

We both use a single iTunes account (me email address) on our Mac for music and apps.
We both use google gmail for email, but our own addresses.
We both use google calendar for our calendar (we share my gmail address for this) and the macs iCal is setup to sync with google cal under my email address.
We do not share contacts, but the mac is setup to sync with my google contacts.

How should I setup each of our iCloud accounts?

Thanks

JP

barebackbadger8

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Wolverhampton, UK
so lets get this straight
my girlfriend can still use my apple id for her iTunes etc but can set her up individually on the iCloud?
if not, i create her an account in iTunes but then how does she get the apps I've paid for, for both of us to use i.e angry birds?

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Following this theme. I get my new phone on Friday and my wife already has an iPhone 4.

We both use a single iTunes account (me email address) on our Mac for music and apps.
We both use google gmail for email, but our own addresses.
We both use google calendar for our calendar (we share my gmail address for this) and the macs iCal is setup to sync with google cal under my email address.
We do not share contacts, but the mac is setup to sync with my google contacts.

How should I setup each of our iCloud accounts?

Thanks

JP

Continue to use Google for mail/calendar/contacts. Use the same AppleID on both phones for iTunes. Use unique AppleID's for iCloud.

----------

so lets get this straight
my girlfriend can still use my apple id for her iTunes etc but can set her up individually on the iCloud?
if not, i create her an account in iTunes but then how does she get the apps I've paid for, for both of us to use i.e angry birds?

That is correct she can use your same AppleID for iTunes and it will share music, apps and movies between the devices. She will create a new AppleID for iCloud that will sync her personal stuff.

barebackbadger8

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Wolverhampton, UK
Continue to use Google for mail/calendar/contacts. Use the same AppleID on both phones for iTunes. Use unique AppleID's for iCloud.

----------

That is correct she can use your same AppleID for iTunes and it will share music, apps and movies between the devices. She will create a new AppleID for iCloud that will sync her personal stuff.

cheers mate!

iamartimus

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
Sorry, I'm confused. :confused:

My wife and I both have iPhone 4's. (not 4S) I had mine since it came out and always update. My wife got hers a couple of months ago and have not even sync'ed it yet. We will be using the same iTunes account to load the ios5, and it's on a Dell computer.

I have only a couple hundred songs on my phone, and my wife's is empty. We mainly use our phone for everything else, but not really listen to music.

When I sync mine, I know what I will get, because basically, all the info is mine. When I do my wife's phone, how do I sync and leave our contacts and everything else separate? Sorry, beating a dead horse here, i'm just confused. I read that it can be done on the MAC, but can this contact folder separation thing be done on a Dell? Help please!:eek:

Valroyce

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
Iphones can only be synced with only one iTunes library at a time?

Erasing & syncing replaces the contents of this iphone with the contents of this iTunes library? Should I go ahead to erase & sync as i've just restored & updated to ios 5.0.1?? quick reply appreciated. TIA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.