Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Hi all.

Up until the iPhone hit Verizon I thought I would never be an iPhone owner, until Feb 2011. But come my upgrade date I didn't buy an iPhone I bought an HTC Thunderbolt LTE Android phone. Was my first Android phone ever, and my first smartphone ever.

I have owned every generation of iPod touch(incl. the 4th gen) since day one and found Android to be highly superior due to its customization and handset options, including the LTE data speeds which you really don't love until you've experienced it.

SOOOOOOO my question is, my line in particular is eligible for an upgrade and I wanna know from you guys why you like the iPhone? Verizon 3G isn't fast as heck, but it's not slow. Also I've dreaded the iTunes requirement since my iPod classic from 2003. But maybe I'm missing something. Open my eyes, why should I switch to iPhone?

Will listen to reasonable comments/reasons.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Sounds like you shouldn't
Not everybody has to have an iPhone

Why are you even considering it?
You should just use the phone that meets your needs best
Sounds like that is the one you have

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Sounds like you shouldn't
Not everybody has to have an iPhone

Why are you even considering it?
You should just use the phone that meets your needs best
Sounds like that is the one you have

Because there's some things about iOS that I like and some things about Android that I like. iCloud, for one, helped me recover iTunes music that would have been long gone. Just looking for opinions...

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
if you are dreading iTunes ... stick with the Android.

Personally I couldn't imagine not having iTunes on my phone

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011

My problem with iTunes is that I had music on one iTunes library that I didn't have on another. I made several music purchases on my iPod Touch and wanted them transfered to the computer.... well okay, how do I do that? It wouldn't let me drag and drop. When iTunes works... it's not bad.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
My problem with iTunes is that I had music on one iTunes library that I didn't have on another. I made several music purchases on my iPod Touch and wanted them transfered to the computer.... well okay, how do I do that? It wouldn't let me drag and drop. When iTunes works... it's not bad.

iTunes is more of a check and sync system rather than drag and drop. iCloud has since solved many of those issues.

Duckit

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2011
NJ, USA

Same here. I love being able to buy music straight from iTunes on my phone. If you really hate iTunes then maybe you should stick with Android, but now with iOS you don't have to use iTunes as much anymore.

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
If you need someone to convince you that you should buy an iPhone...you probably shouldn't.

If I can make it work to my liking, I would love to use an iPhone. Someone named LTD was hyping about the 4S a few months ago and wanted to see if it's that great.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
the iPhone gives me more than everything I need in a phone ... iTunes alone is a good reason to own an iPhone

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Alright then.

I've decided to wait until after Macworld and WWDC to see if any new iPhone changes could be coming, including that newly designed, rumored iPhone 5.

Thanks for all the input.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
If I can make it work to my liking, I would love to use an iPhone. Someone named LTD was hyping about the 4S a few months ago and wanted to see if it's that great.

I love my 4S. That being said, I don't feel the need to try to convince anyone else to switch to it. If you research it and think it's right for you, that's great. If you have specific questions about it, that's fine...people here will generally try to help you out. But if you want us to try to convince you to switch...that's something that most people here don't seem to want to get involved in.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Seems like you would be happier with Android. I love the iPhone and since getting a MacBook Air everything just seems to work the way I want it.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
1) you don't need iTunes anymore
2) plug your iPod touch into the computer you want to transfer the music to and go to Transfer Purchases. I think it's under the file menu. If not, it's under one of those menus.
3) if all of your music was purchased under the same Apple ID, just put the music on a thumb drive or something and transfer it over to the computer you want it on.
4) Androids customization is nice, but it's overdone IMO. iOS is fluid, fast and consistent throughout. Android fans don't like to hear this, but specs aren't everything. All I want is a nice fluid UI and that's what I get with iOS. I've used them all, from the old school Palm OS, Windows Mobile, Blackberry, WebOS, and Android (along with some weird Chinese imports) and none of them hold a candle to iOS. Again, these reason are all my opinion. Honestly, I'd choose Windows Phone 7 over Android.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
If you are asking for people on an Apple iPhone forum to give you reasons why you should get an iPhone, you probably shouldn't get one. I'm not saying that we're going to skew our thoughts, but we're certainly fanboys/fangirls of Apple products.

That being said, choose the phone that works best for you because YOU think so, and don't let anyone else convince you otherwise. I had an original Motorola RAZR for the longest time just because it was the best phone for ME, but certainly not the best one out there.

You're the one that pays YOUR bill. So, make your own decisions.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
OP: I have used many, many Android devices and I always go back to the iPhone because of the quality of it. Let me explain... I just tried out the Samsung Galaxy S II and even though many argue its better, I didn't find that to be the case. I was completely blown away by the Super AMOLED Plus display, but what's the point when it drains 75% of your battery? Zooming in on text looked pixelated. Of course, this won't be an issue for some. I figured an AT&T HSPA+ 21Mbps phone would be a tad faster than the 14.4Mbps iPhone 4s, this was not the case, in fact it was slower. I would average 3.4Mbps at home, and on the GSII I'd average 1-2Mbps. I installed an official update which kind of f'd with the phone and significantly delivered even poorer battery life. My phone would also completely lockup when I changed keyboards which was a major headache when your're expecting a important text or call.

I am NO Apple Fanboy and really despise them BUT I believe at the end of the day, the iPhone wins in the STABILITY category and NOT the PERFORMANCE category. Typing on the AT&T Galaxy S II's 4.3" screen was so nice but it felt nowhere as sturdy as the iPhone's 3.5" display.

I'm NOT saying Android is bad, in fact, I really like Android and some of the features it offers, but what I am saying is it just isn't as stable as iOS. I didn't like the fact that I had to root my phone in order for it to feel more smooth. With the iPhone you will see much more accessories for it. My car stereo has a USB port which works wonderfully with my iPod and iPhone. I am able to stream Pandora on my iPhone and have it play through my car speakers. I could never achieve this through any android device, unless I purchased additional equipment.

At the end of the day, it comes down to stability and which device works better and without any special tweaking for me. I do believe its more difficult for those to go iPhone when they've already experienced Android. Though, I don't regret buying a GSII and trying it out. It just made me realize more why I prefer the iphone so much. :D

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Alright then.

I've decided to wait until after Macworld and WWDC to see if any new iPhone changes could be coming, including that newly designed, rumored iPhone 5.

Don't even wait for that. Stick with Android.

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia
Why are all of OP's comments getting down liked? I don't get it. Poor guy/girl was just trying to ask a question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.