Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

backbeats

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Would anyone else be interested in the Whatsapp iPhone messaging app making it's way to the mac?

It seems like a natural move imo, partly thanks to the mac app store. I realise things like MSN etc basically offer the same service, but prefer whatsapp due to it's seemless integration.

ssdeg7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
It would be nice, but I doubt they will release a Mac version, because they first said they would not support the iPad because it is not a mobile device, and later they said the iPod Touch was no longer supported either.

backbeats

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
I emailed the whatsapp team, and they said no to a mac version. Perhaps if enough people harass them with emails it will eventually materialise?

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I need a desktop solution. The internet is spotty at best in China on my iphone and I'd like the option to keep chats going when I'm forced onto my air... like right this moment I'm in a cafe that has wifi and my stupid phone won't connect but my air is on the network just fine and all my conversations have stopped. I'd say the air is a portable device... lazy fellows :D

kinetik87

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2011
I've tried doing it on win and ubuntu for few days without succeeding. If there's someone that has basic knowledge in telnet and programming who want to help me let me know privately. I'll be glad to share my progress so far.

Nikh

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Kyiv
Downloaded android version, and took a look over executable code. Seems that WhatsApp (as I guessed) uses XMPP protocol (i.e. Jabber) for communication with it's server. Google Talk does the same.

So, you should be able to use other Jabber client to connect to WhatsApp service, if they didn't add a lot of changes to the protocol.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Downloaded android version, and took a look over executable code. Seems that WhatsApp (as I guessed) uses XMPP protocol (i.e. Jabber) for communication with it's server. Google Talk does the same.

So, you should be able to use other Jabber client to connect to WhatsApp service, if they didn't add a lot of changes to the protocol.

interesting... any idea what you would use for server settings, username etc?

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
sorry to revive an old thread. but I'm quite interested in knowing whether someone has actually succeeded in porting WhatsApp to the mac? since now more and more people are using it. it would be logical to do it.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Wikipedia says Whatsapp uses proprietary messaging protocol, but others here have said it uses XMPP.

If the latter, there are plenty of XMPP clients available for Mac that should be able to talk to their server. Is there something special about Whatsapp?

bender o

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Wikipedia says Whatsapp uses proprietary messaging protocol, but others here have said it uses XMPP.

If the latter, there are plenty of XMPP clients available for Mac that should be able to talk to their server. Is there something special about Whatsapp?

Any of those clients work with Jabber or iChat :)??

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
I guess you haven't used it. Whatsapp is a messages application (like BBM and iMessage) but its available on all mobile operating systems. so iPhone users can chat with BB users and nokia users, etc...
and its killer feature is that it uses your phone number, not emails or pins, so you dont have to "add" people, as long as you have them on ur contact list, you have them in whatsapp (of course, they should have it too :p )

Ruthka

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2012
Whatsapp for mac

Hi there,

i would like to find out if it is possible to download the whatsapp application on my MacBook Air.

please help, if so, how do i do so?:confused:

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
iMessage for Mac might convince them to bring out a Mac version as well. Besides group chat functionality iMessage killed whatsapp for me. Actually not quite yet, some of my friends need to get their act together and update their iOS devices.

MacAttack85

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
Gold Coast
I tried to install WhatsApp through Adium as WhatsApp uses Jabber and XMPP. I do believe it is possible and a matter of getting the settings right.

Here is my attempt, didn't spend much time on it, if anyone wants to try to build upon my work you can: http://tinyurl.com/7muf846

I believe the developer is holding back as it would probably flood the servers.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.