Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
What ever happened to "boy, have we patented it"?

And, while current Android phones may resemble the iPhone, that shot of the G1 looks nothing like an iPhone. What a ridiculous statement. First, it is white, iPhone was black only at that time. It has a track-ball and 5 separate buttons at the bottom. iPhone has 1 home button and no track-ball. The G1 is not flat, but actually angles out near the mouth piece. The iPhone is completely flat. The G1 has a slide-out QWERTY keyboard, iPhone does not. The G1 has a crowded menu bar (more like Windows Mobile if anything), not so with iPhone. There a huge widget (a clock) in middle of G1 screen, no widgets on iPhone. G1 has some kind of pop-up menu on screen, not so with iPhone (yet, ironically, iOS would add this later). And lastly, they both have folders/apps on the screen. What a novel concept for both of them there.

There should be a minimum IQ for posters here.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
When will Google settle copying iOS?

I wish Apple sue the hell out of Google, they stole a whole operating system.

The pictures that you posted don't show any similarity in the design at all. I think you are confused because Apple is suing _one_ manufacturer for _one_ tablet design that is too close to the iPad and conclude wrongly that _every_ Android device must be the copy of an Apple product. That is not the case.

Just because you have patents, even lots of patents, doesn't mean you aren't infringing on someone else's patents. And even if you aren't infringing, doesn't mean someone else can't sue you.

And, while current Android phones may resemble the iPhone, that shot of the G1 looks nothing like an iPhone. What a ridiculous statement. First, it is white, iPhone was black only at that time. It has a track-ball and 5 separate buttons at the bottom. iPhone has 1 home button and no track-ball. The G1 is not flat, but actually angles out near the mouth piece. The iPhone is completely flat. The G1 has a slide-out QWERTY keyboard, iPhone does not. The G1 has a crowded menu bar (more like Windows Mobile if anything), not so with iPhone. There a huge widget (a clock) in middle of G1 screen, no widgets on iPhone. G1 has some kind of pop-up menu on screen, not so with iPhone (yet, ironically, iOS would add this later). And lastly, they both have folders/apps on the screen. What a novel concept for both of them there.

Absolutely correct. I'm not sure about the colour, but each single one of the other differences would be enough to make it different enough from the iPhone.

Last edited:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Since everyone is ok with Apple infringing on the patents of others I'm sure that being rational men you'll feel the same when someone else is accused of infringing on Apple's patents too. I know that no one would be hypocritical about that.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Not knowing the details or depths of the infringement on the surface it looks like Apple got off real cheap.

What makes you say that? Five million dollars pays for a few dozen good engineers for a year (with quite a bit of additional cost beyond salary and taxes).

razmage

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
What makes you say that? Five million dollars pays for a few dozen good engineers for a year (with quite a bit of additional cost beyond salary and taxes).

I wonder if this opens the way for them to go after other companies for multi-touch. Pretty sure it would.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

They did. It's just that one of the patents required to get it to work belonged to someone else, and they have reached a mutual settlement. It happens all the time.

It isn't as if the iPhone or even multitouch relies on a single patent. There are often hundreds of patents involved with a modern device.

There are also multiple ways to develop similar techniques. Note that Apple has not gone after Microsoft, even though Windows Phone also uses multitouch and other elements that debuted on the iPhone. The difference is that Microsoft apparently uses different methods, and they also use a different UI.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Tim Cook: Hey Scott, we're settling with Elan. It's for 5 million. Have you got any change on you?

Scott Forstall: Uh yeah, just hang on a sec. I think I had a few mil on me when I went to get coffee this morning. *fishes around in his pocket* Ok, here's around 4. Bum the rest off Jony.

Tim Cook: k.

Tim: Hey Scott, we're settling with Elan. It's for $5 mil. Have you got any change on you?

Scott: no... get Eddie to send them a $5 mil iTunes gift card.

Tim: k.

:)

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
The five million reportedly coming from the loose change in Tim Cook's pants pocket.

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
Apple has gotten into so many legal tangles that I can't keep them straight. I'm glad to finally see some progress. I wonder if 2012 is the year of legal settlements or if Apple's legal team is going to crack up the case load?

Mr Bigs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Bklyn N.Y
When will Google settle copying iOS?

I wish Apple sue the hell out of Google, they stole a whole operating system.

This is what makes all these small lawsuits a joke, Apple have had their iOS inside developers taken by Google in 2006 and all of a sudden, Android looked like iOS copy rather than Blackberry copy.

GO AFTER THE THIEVES APPLE - GOOGLE

Android before poaching Apple iOS employees 2006/early 2007:

Android post poaching iOS employees:

As soon as Apple settles copying Google :rolleyes:

----------

What in Android actually belongs to Google? That's the question, and the issue hasn't been scrutinized. Yet.
Ummm same thing with Apple as were slowly finding out but they're much more arrogant about it.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.