Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soulvoid

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
Upgraded my iPhone 4 to 5.0.1 a week or two ago.

I only showed 1 signal and the version of ultrasn0w available at the time 1.2.4 didn't support 5.0.1. No worries I waited.

Now ultrasn0w is at 1.2.5 and supports 5.0.1.

I installed it and it fixed the signal problem. Cool right? Well later that night I pick up my phone and it shows no service. A respring didn't fix. And only after 2 reboots did it show signal again.

It happened again like 10 min ago and I couldn't fix the problem.
So as it stands now I have uninstalled ultrasn0w 1.2.5 and seeing if anyone else has this problem.

soulvoid

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
I'm on AT&T. Have been always will be. I just use it to fix the signal bars.

ylerT

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
Las Vegas
My wife's 4 is on 5.0.1 with the 1.59.00 baseband. She's on H2O but I had to install ultrasn0w to fix the signal bars also. I installed the update the day after it was released and she hasn't had any problems.

I could be wrong but you may be having issues due to the huge amount of traffic Cydia is probably getting right now. With the untether just being released, people are downloading off Cydia like crazy. I know I was having some issues installing something on a customers phone earlier. Cydia was loading really slow and I was getting some errors basically telling me a package didn't install fully. I would try to download it again later in the night or just hold off a few days for traffic to die down.

soulvoid

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
I'm not having an issue or error on the install reinstall or uninstall of ultrasn0w.

All that works fine. It's ONLY the signal that I'm having an issue with.

It will show signal. Then No Service. Rinse repeat. So I uninstall ultrasn0w, only get 1 bar of signal, but it's consistent.

soulvoid

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
I'd just leave it off then.
It's just for looks anyway.

Ehhhh I know but it would be nice for it to correctly show me my signal strength. Especially when I might actually need to know if I have signal. Haha

mrJnC

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2007
To avoid losing mms and vvm, the "fix" is to automatically reinstall ultrasn0w after a reboot. This can be done with a little scripting, an example of which can be found here:
http://jailbreakqa.com/questions/32589/no-mms-or-vvm-after-ultrasn0w-update

Keep in mind, should you need to update ultrasn0w to a later version, you will also need to place the new .deb file in the Autoinstall folder.

It's a bit of a kludge, but until a proper fix it seems to work well most of the time.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Looks like I'm having this same issue. I can't figure out if there's a pattern to it but my phone will also just go to "No Signal" and the only way I can bring it back is to toggle Airplane mode on and off until the signal comes back. I'm guessing that ultrasn0w is the culprit but good luck getting the dev team to fix it. I hate that I even have to install ultrasn0w since I really don't even need it right now but I can't stand only seeing one bar of signal strength when I know damn well that I'm getting a strong signal.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I said screw it. VVM and mms (mainly vvm) are more important than having a visual representation of signal bars. When I do install ultrasnow to use my phone in another country, it's not like vvm or mms will really be needed anyway.
Looks like I'm having this same issue. I can't figure out if there's a pattern to it but my phone will also just go to "No Signal" and the only way I can bring it back is to toggle Airplane mode on and off until the signal comes back. I'm guessing that ultrasn0w is the culprit but good luck getting the dev team to fix it. I hate that I even have to install ultrasn0w since I really don't even need it right now but I can't stand only seeing one bar of signal strength when I know damn well that I'm getting a strong signal.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World

That does sometimes happen in low signal area's. Airplane mode on/off or respring should solve it.

Its the only nag, pit i prefer this over the 1 bar or no phone at all :)

vong

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
Dang it... I am thinking about just updating my baseband [1.59.00 BB is the reason for all this right?]. I am on AT&T but I plan to sell my iPhone to my friends afterwards since they're on T-Mobile.. Might just sell it to another AT&T user or something. I am personally anal about these type of things. Everything must be perfect. This is a bad trait of mine :(.

nfrs2000

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2009
Yup. Same issue here. iP4 5.0.1 1.59.00. I usually have to reboot my phone to get the bars back. It seems to happen when i lose reception and it wont pick it up again til a reboot. Sux.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
This is becoming a huge problem for me. My phone froze up and was displaying "No Service". I rebooted and it came up with "Searching". Uninstalled and reinstalled ultrasn0w, toggled airplane mode on and off, resprang multiple times, etc. and still no signal. Ultrasn0w is a real problem. I'm considering upgrading my bb or just removing ultrasn0w altogether since I don't even need it - it's completely unstable.

headcase

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
As I like having the signal strength visual indicator on my iPhone, I depended on ultrasn0w. But unfortunately, I too was seeing constant "no signal" problems with ultrasn0w 1.2.5 when running my iPhone 5.0.1 with 1.59.00 baseband. So after numerous custom builds of my iOS with the 1.59.00 baseband rolled in, I did the unthinkable, and did a standard upgrade to the latest baseband... so no more unlocking for me on this phone (which I never needed -- just kept it for resale value).

Sucks.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
As I like having the signal strength visual indicator on my iPhone, I depended on ultrasn0w. But unfortunately, I too was seeing constant "no signal" problems with ultrasn0w 1.2.5 when running my iPhone 5.0.1 with 1.59.00 baseband. So after numerous custom builds of my iOS with the 1.59.00 baseband rolled in, I did the unthinkable, and did a standard upgrade to the latest baseband... so no more unlocking for me on this phone (which I never needed -- just kept it for resale value).

Sucks.

Same exact boat I'm in! I preserve my bb for resale value only but I'm beginning to wonder if it's even worth the aggravation, especially when you need ultrasn0w to "fix" your signal strength (it seems to break more than it fixes).

Was your phone freezing up at all when you had the 1.59.00 bb and did you use pwnage tool?

headcase

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Same exact boat I'm in! I preserve my bb for resale value only but I'm beginning to wonder if it's even worth the aggravation, especially when you need ultrasn0w to "fix" your signal strength (it seems to break more than it fixes).

Was your phone freezing up at all when you had the 1.59.00 bb and did you use pwnage tool?

Yeah, I found my iPhone was getting slightly buggy with 5.0.1 and 1.59.00, so between that and the "no signal" issue, I decided to update with a standard build.

vong

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
Is this a known problem that the devs cannot fix? I am debating either to:

A) Downgrade to back to 4.2.1
B) Update baseband.

I am leaning towards A more since I really do not use the notification center much for my phone.

Yup. Same issue here. iP4 5.0.1 1.59.00. I usually have to reboot my phone to get the bars back. It seems to happen when i lose reception and it wont pick it up again til a reboot. Sux.

Also, when you are taking about reboot, do you mean holding down power and shutting the phone off correct? Not respring.

americaroma

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
so how how did it work out for you guys?

Im on 5.0 thetered and was planning tu upgrade to 5.0.1 unthetered but i do depend on my unlock since i use a mexican carrier. I do have the 0.1.59 baseband and was almost ready to create a custom ipsw with reds0w until i saw this thread...

So for now should i wait until ultrasnow is more stable, please let me know how this goes for you guys if the signal issue gets fixed or not.

vong

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
so how how did it work out for you guys?

Im on 5.0 thetered and was planning tu upgrade to 5.0.1 unthetered but i do depend on my unlock since i use a mexican carrier. I do have the 0.1.59 baseband and was almost ready to create a custom ipsw with reds0w until i saw this thread...

So for now should i wait until ultrasnow is more stable, please let me know how this goes for you guys if the signal issue gets fixed or not.

Did what work, ultrasn0w? I do not have that installed on my iPhone simply because I am on AT&T. I keep the low baseband just for resale value.

americaroma

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Did what work, ultrasn0w? I do not have that installed on my iPhone simply because I am on AT&T. I keep the low baseband just for resale value.

Well aparently ultrasn0w is what is causing the problem (based on what im reading) The latest version was supposed to work for 5.0.1 but this is exactly the problem that its not working or its giving some users problems with signal, thats why i havent tried it yet, im tethered rigtnow but wont go to unthetred 5.0.1 until the signal issue gets fixed.

vong

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
Well aparently ultrasn0w is what is causing the problem (based on what im reading) The latest version was supposed to work for 5.0.1 but this is exactly the problem that its not working or its giving some users problems with signal, thats why i havent tried it yet, im tethered rigtnow but wont go to unthetred 5.0.1 until the signal issue gets fixed.

Well the problem is that iOS 5.0.1 gives signal problems for users with BB 1.59.00 [I think it is 1.59.00 BB only]. In order to fix this problem, you COULD install ultrasn0w but installing ultrasn0w would cause another problem. The user not being able to receive/sent MMS/VMM. this problem can be fixed simply by turning on/off airplane mode multiple times or reinserting your sim card. Although you would have to do this every time you reboot.

americaroma

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Well the problem is that iOS 5.0.1 gives signal problems for users with BB 1.59.00 [I think it is 1.59.00 BB only]. In order to fix this problem, you COULD install ultrasn0w but installing ultrasn0w would cause another problem. The user not being able to receive/sent MMS/VMM. this problem can be fixed simply by turning on/off airplane mode multiple times or reinserting your sim card. Although you would have to do this every time you reboot.

Yea thats the thing, im on 1.59.00 BB and 5.0 thetered jailbreak but wanted to go to 5.0.1 because its unthetered but if that baseband is gonna give me issues with signal then i wont even risk it for now... So im probably staying on 5.0 until i see theres a solution for the signal problem on ultrsn0w for users with 1.59.00 bb.

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Jan 26, 2010
you anal ocd people really do irritate me

you would rather have a phone that loses signal all together over having one that shows a single bar but mantains a consistent signal ?

like others i have the single antenna bar and just don't worry about it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.