Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAG77

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Central Illinois
Yeah...no

Technology is advancing fast for tablet devices but not THAT fast.. (In an affordability sense)
Besides, anything Microsoft releases will probably have the same specs as the iPad 3 anyway.. With the added infrastructure of the app store and itunes it kinda throws out the rest of the competition on its own. The only main thing that will probably make people switch over is the cost or because its "not an Apple" product..

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Who would buy it? The vast majority of the consumer buying public who don't read this site. Plus, some people who do read this site and don't pay attention which is why there is always the refrain of "Damn I just bought an _ithing_ last week and now Apple release a new one!"
True, I saw someone buy an iMac last week or so in Apple store when the buying guide advises against buying one now.

5aga

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City
However I do think they will keep iPad 2 on the market for the rest of '12 and bring the iPad 3 in as the must have toy for the year. I'd probably go for it finding my first gen getting rather slow with frequent browser crashes etc.

yeah $399 iPad 2 make force me to finally buy one.. my first gen is slow, but my nephew (who is only 2) dropped it by accident.

even sweeter would be a $299 iPad 2

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X; en_US) AppleWebKit (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile [FBAN/FBForIPhone;FBAV/4.1;FBBV/4100.0;FBDV/iPhone3,1;FBMD/iPhone;FBSN/iPhone OS;FBSV/5.0.1;FBSS/2; FBCR/Three;FBID/phone;FBLC/en_US;FBSF/2.0])

This reminds me of the PowerBook G4 days when every other rumour was either about an upcoming speed bump or the now infamous " PowerBook G5 coming next Tuesday" rumours

xxplosive1984

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
Dallas, TX
These rumors get more ridiculous by the day. This doesn't make a bit of sense. Yet, I still come to this site like clockwork. I can't stay away!

glis

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2008
Simple, if the iPad 3 ships with an A5 chip then the iPad 4 will come later this year.

PhilSandifer

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
I don't buy it. A yearly release is about the fastest you can go without making people who bought the previous version feel "burned" by rapid obsolescence. For a company like Apple where a sense of cool and style is part of the appeal of their products you can't strip the cool factor away from a new release that fast without harming customer loyalty.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
OMG! I can believe a rag like Digitimes is throwing out this tripe again, but really MR! After last year you really deem this a Page 1 story? I understand that the site name is MacRumors but seriously, you need to discern between credible and realistic ones and unicorn laced ones.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
There must be support for ThunderBolt in iOS devices sometime soon... This will provide a huge leap in the sync speed of Pads and Phones.

iPad 4, iPhone 5, killer feature?

Doubt it. Do you think the sync speed now is limited by USB 2? I think the current bottleneck is the write speed of the storage in the iOS device.

webitorgal

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Don't think this is going to happen, especially if phones are now being launched in October.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Maybe they mean iPad 3 on ios 5, with the late year upgrade = iOS 6 debuting on new iPhone 5...or more likely maybe they don't know jack shh...squat.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I agree.
What advantage would there be to Apple doing this?

What advantage is there for Apple upgrading the laptop line more than once each year?

What advantage is there for Apple upgrading iMacs more than once each year?

I know that for many of us just 2 iterations of device denotes an absolute pattern (of once a year) and that such an absolute pattern is the only thing that makes any sense for anyone... until Apple actually alters the pattern and then THAT becomes the only thing that makes any sense for anyone.

I especially like this kind of (very common) reasoning...

Not a fan of that method. Just update it yearly. Two upgrades in a year. I would be jealous if it mine was no longer current in several months.

Think people. Maybe even 'think different'?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
These rumors are increasingly preposterous. This has going on for a couple of years, but it has really accelerated in the past six months.

A sad trend. It does not improve this site's credibility nor that of the initial rumor provider.

:(

If you are going to select rumors to report, why not pick one that is halfway plausible, not this blathering.

Oh well, a sign of the times, I suppose...

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Seems unlikely Apple would quadruple the # of pixels without significantly improving the CPU/GPU combo. Which makes this rumor a bit ridiculous.

About the only way it would make sense is if there are just some big, possibly iPad specific features planned for iOS 6 in late 2012.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
I'm using an iPad 1 and so depending on what the 3 has to offer will dictate whether I decide to buy when that's released or when the 4 is released later in the year.

As soon as the iPad 2 was released, I bought the iPad 1 at the reduced prices. I've been holding out for the higher rez screen. When that hits, I'm in for another iPad.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re tablet wars

ok so the hardware is decently workable

all we need now are insanely killer apps

pandamonia

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2009
STOP PRESS

Significant REDESIGN COMING.

Apple to make tablet computer look like.....

Yet another tablet computer....

rectangle with screen and no keyboard but this time has more "Magic"

Seriously how much milage is there in the future of a tablet PC to change.

the only thing that has changed in the last 15 years is the physical size and power. They still look like a tablet and they all look the same.

The iPad is the best of the bunch i doubt it has the need to change twice in one year. lets face it what exactly is there to change apart from yearly improvements in resolution / power / battery life.

Dionte

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Detroit
I guess that's the good thing about spreading rumors, the majority of it doesn't have to be true.

AtomicEdge

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2009
The more I hear these rumors, the more I think that they are spread by Apple's rivals in order to reduce the amount of people that buy the next version.

A pointless task, but it's the only reason this rumor patten has been so prevalent over the last year and a bit.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I'm thinking one iPad a year is enough. The only way this is true is if the iPad 3 arrives with no retina display, then I'll hold out for a version that does have it, as I suspect many will (I'm a current iPad 2 user).

The many versions of android devices is one point apple laughs about, so I doubt they will start coming out with more iPads and keep them on the market simultaneously.

Apple builds market share by providing a superior, well defined and controlled experience, not by releasing multiple products to appeal to every whim a customer may have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.