Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
The more I hear these rumors, the more I think that they are spread by Apple's rivals in order to reduce the amount of people that buy the next version.

A pointless task, but it's the only reason this rumor patten has been so prevalent over the last year and a bit.

Maybe competitors find it hard to accept that Apple can release one product a year and have it sell well all year where as they have to release a new iteration every few months to stay "fresh."

jll62

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
What will happen? They'll release the iPad 3 (or 2s) (with or without retina screen) in the spring like they have for the last 2 years. In the autumn, they'll update it. With iOS6, not hardware. And there's a reasonable chance it'll have new killer applications, because they update those too.

Bingo. iPad 3 this spring. iOS 6 upgrade around the time of the next iPhone launch in the fall.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
STOP PRESS

Significant REDESIGN COMING.

Apple to make tablet computer look like.....

Yet another tablet computer....

rectangle with screen and no keyboard but this time has more "Magic"

Seriously how much milage is there in the future of a tablet PC to change.

the only thing that has changed in the last 15 years is the physical size and power. They still look like a tablet and they all look the same.

The iPad is the best of the bunch i doubt it has the need to change twice in one year. lets face it what exactly is there to change apart from yearly improvements in resolution / power / battery life.

The iPad Carbon. Now as thin as a carbon 13 isotope. Apple: Think Really Different:apple:

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
What advantage is there for Apple upgrading the laptop line more than once each year?

What advantage is there for Apple upgrading iMacs more than once each year?
Well you've replied to my question with two questions.
It still begs the question, what advantage would there be for a twice yearly iPad release?

Think people. Maybe even 'think different'?
:rolleyes:

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Seems unlikely Apple would quadruple the # of pixels without significantly improving the CPU/GPU combo. Which makes this rumor a bit ridiculous.

About the only way it would make sense is if there are just some big, possibly iPad specific features planned for iOS 6 in late 2012.

Well, they did actually significantly improve the GPU with the A5. (9x or so? It was immediately dismissed as unimportant to anyone but gamers. Maybe it will be useful to those higher resolution displays. It's almost as if Apple plans these things in advance! :))

The rumor is still ridiculous though.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
No don't. Don't do an Android and release a new tab/phone every 3-5 days. You'll just end up confusing customers and irritating them in the process

Paradox of choice.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
No don't. Don't do an Android and release a new tab/phone every 3-5 days. You'll just end up confusing customers and irritating them in the process

Paradox of choice.

this

the reason samsung is so successful is they have one flagship phone/tablet per year. unlike HTC which has a different name phone which is the same hardware every other week

coltman75

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I think we can look at the iPhone 4S to see that Apple would rather hold off for a few months than release a "interim" product.

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
Does anyone else feel like some undercover Android/Microsoft PR people are pushing these "rumors" out there to scare people into not buying the next Apple product? People are already mumbling about iPhone 6 and iPad 4. It's dumb and it's not going to happen. Buy the next Apple product, enjoy it for a year, get hyped for the product that comes out the following year, rinse and repeat. That's Apple's tried and true cycle, and they're not going to abandon that.

One of the reasons Apple's products are so successful is because of the general mystery and hype that surrounds them for an entire year leading up to their unveiling at the huge keynote events. If they're releasing products every 6 months, a lot of that mystery and hype just won't be there and/or nobody will care.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
This doesn't make any sense. To release an iPad 3 and outdate it right before the holiday season? That would be incredibly stupid.

The iPad 3 will have high demand from the early adopters in March/April, and demand will increase again with iOS 6 later in the year and the holiday season of 2012.

To release an iPad 4 in October would only serve to piss off iPad 3 early adopters and guarantee that they don't have enough units to keep stores stocked over the holidays, meaning they will miss out on a lot of sales.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Why this is "news" is anyone's guess.

This "news" item is posted to MacRumors because DigiTimes reported it on their site. Since this is all a numbers game (whoever gets the most hits gets the most advertising $) MacRumors has to waste our time with it in order to stay in business.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
This rumor really sucks! This rumor doesnt encourage me to believe it one bit.

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
This rumor really sucks! This rumor doesnt encourage me to believe it one bit.

Indeed. Can we have a little filtering between anything vaguely plausible and "random words put out by someone who has never seen an apple product"?

There aren't going to be 2 new iPads in 2012, or 2 new iPhones, just as there weren't 2 of either in 2011. There will not be a 'pro' iPad with "insert feature here". Apple hasn't done that in years. They will introduce a new iPad in the first quarter, it will be the same basic size, it will be more powerful, it will come with a few different onboard memory sizes and a choice of 3G or WiFi. The iPad2 will continue to exist for a while at a lower price point.

That is it for iPad for 2012.

GunZi

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2012
iPad 3

if the iPad 3 has a rentina display and same 10 hour battery. that would be enough for me to buy it! :)

and then maybe wait for iPad 5?

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
What advantage is there for Apple upgrading the laptop line more than once each year?

What advantage is there for Apple upgrading iMacs more than once each year?

I know that for many of us just 2 iterations of device denotes an absolute pattern (of once a year) and that such an absolute pattern is the only thing that makes any sense for anyone... until Apple actually alters the pattern and then THAT becomes the only thing that makes any sense for anyone.

I especially like this kind of (very common) reasoning...

Think people. Maybe even 'think different'?

1. Laptops and desktops have competition they have to keep up with and it's been like this for quite a while. Even so they don't always update more than once a year (how many updates did the 2010 13" MBP have in 2010?).

2. Look at Apple's pattern, iPhones have competition these days and they still are only updating it once a year.

3. Why would Apple update the iPad twice a year when it still is very much the dominant tablet? Especially when they've shown they don't even update more than once a year when the competition really has caught up?

Given those three reasons I think this rumor really is grasping at straws and I agree it really shouldn't even be front page news. Hell, we had a similar rumor last year, and it didn't even come close to happening (I mean, by it we should have had the iPad three months ago! Like around when the iPhone 4s came out).

I won't say it won't happen unless Apple outright says it won't happen (after all, unless you personally know their plans all of us are just guessing), but I would be shocked if it did.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
lol @ this rumour.

Everyone knows that what will really happen is the iPad 3 in the next few months, iPad 4 in the summer, and then iPad 5 in November.

I've heard that the iPad 6 is due in December though, so everyone might want to wait until mid-2013 when the iPad 12 comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.