Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Won't happen. Just not the way Apple operates. They release products once a year basically on the same schedule every year. They have never released products based upon what other manufacturers do. Plus they wouldn't release new iPad's and iPhone's so close together. And the iPhone 5 will be released towards the Fall. Now I do think the rumor of keeping the iPad 2 around at a lower price is probably a good one. They have done this before.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't think this is true at all! It just doesn't make any sense. March would adjust the product cycle to the "traditional" 12 months and I don't think they would release another iPad 7 months later. It just doesn't sound very Apple. Digitimes has been reporting some crazy stuff lately. I think MacRumors should be more picky.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Won't happen. Just not the way Apple operates. They release products once a year basically on the same schedule every year. They have never released products based upon what other manufacturers do. Plus they wouldn't release new iPad's and iPhone's so close together. And the iPhone 5 will be released towards the Fall.

This is just not true. Apple updates many tech products more than once each year. And you can't recognize any pattern in only 2 iterations. For example, I know a woman who had a baby at 15 and another at 45. If she wants to have a third, it won't automatically- and only- make sense that she waits until she is 75.

Apple released the orig :apple:TV in 2007. We got a new one is 2011. Does it only make sense that the next one could not arrive before 2015?

I recall so many posts that pegged the iPhone as absolutely launching at WWDC in June. And then it didn't. Now it seems the crowd generally expects the new "annual" cycle to be Fall to Fall. How quickly that more than 2-time iteration has been evolved by Apple simply launching something when they want to launch it.

The pattern of Apple's product launches is no pattern. They launch when they want to launch. For what- 7+ years- Apple released a bunch of new tech at the Jan Macworld. As far as I know that was the most consistent pattern of product launches Apple has ever had. Then, it changed. In spite of 7+ consistent years of new Apple tech launched at MacWorld, does ANYONE think Apple will launch new tech at this years MacWorld?

There is a general perception that new stuff launches on TUE. But sometimes, it's WED. And sometimes FRI. I owned Apple Pages & Keynote '08 in 2008, and Pages & Keynote '09 in 2009. I can still only buy Pages '09 in 2012: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB942Z/A/iWork-09?fnode=MTY1NDA0OA

iPad 1 launched in March. iPad 2 launched the following March. There is no pattern there. If I flip a coin and get heads 2 times in a row, it doesn't means I'll get heads every time I flip it thereafter.

iPad 3 will launch when Apple wants to launch it. That may be in March, or sooner or later. iPad 4 will launch when Apple wants to launch it. That could be in 2011 or 2012. Sometimes Apple updates lots of tech in a short period of time and sometimes they wait (too) long to update stuff (I'm looking at you Mac Pro).

The possibility of 2 iPad models launched in one year is only "dumb", "they'll never do it", "it makes no sense", etc until Apple launches 2 in one year. Then, none of you will call Apple dumb, "it makes no sense", etc for choosing to do that. Our perception of a pattern will simply evolve.

Last edited:

Peteman100

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2011
Berkeley, CA
This would actually make some sense. If apple using the new Cortex A15 design for their upcoming A6 processor (which they should be), it won't be ready until the second half of 2012.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
It's astonishing to me that they think we have such a short memory that we won't recall that this has been predicted ever year since the introduction of the iPad. First, it was the iPad 1.5 in October 2010 that would have the missing features (i.e. camera) of the iPad 1, then it was the iPad 2.5 in October 2011 that would have a retina display. Now they're predicting an iPad 3.5 in October 2012? Please. Given that these rumors have never proven true, it would be the definition of insanity to pay any attention to them in the future without some seriously credible sources to back it up.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
TBH this makes sense with the Android tablets evolving faster than the iPad.

At this point Apple needs to speed up the pace a little. With more competition they need to be more competitive.

But I agree its kind of crappy to buy one knowing its obsolete in six months. So I would personally prefer a competitive edge via iOS updates every six months. THat would also extend the life of these devices.

But why not just make big yearly updates? I think that makes more sense

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Also, how the hell are they gonna add a retina display to the iPad WITHOUT upgrading the hardware? Does anyone really think the iPad can run a >1080p screen with the current hardware?

Anyone who has a brain does, sure. I'm running 1080p (1920x1080) resolution on a 14 year old computer. Do you really think the iPad will have much trouble? We aren't talking about 3D gaming, we're talking 2D iOS GUI. Get a grip.

----------

I'm sorry, but "proliferative???"

How about just "prolific?"

Because proliferative has a negative connotation.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
But why not just make big yearly updates? I think that makes more sense

Why not just make big yearly updates to Macs too then? Wouldn't that make just as much sense?

If we see a pattern in only 2 iterations, then we are practically certain that iPad3 launches in March. If you are in the market for an iPad right now, do you pay the full price of last March's iPad 2 or do you wait 2 months to spend the (pattern) same price for iPad 3?

If I'm Apple I don't want the public to be able to predict when my products come out. I want people buying full steam ahead right up to the day that I want to roll out the new version. Thus, if I'm Apple, I do NOT launch iPad3 in MAR just so that those who can see a pattern in only 2 iterations don't gain even greater confidence in some pattern in 3 iterations. I don't want iPad3 sales to trail off starting next JAN while people wait for iPad 4 that is certainly arriving in March 2013.

There is no patterns at Apple. They just launch when they want to launch. The only thing we can say for certain about iPad 3 is that it definitely will not launch in late 2011. In 2012, we could get iPad 3 and/or iPad2s, iPad 3 & 4, iPad 3, 4 and 5, iPad mini, iPad Maxi, iPad HD, etc. Whatever is coming will arrive when Apple chooses to release it/them and then we'll all perceive we know when the next one is coming based on the pattern (or evolved pattern) of the first 3.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
...And you can't recognize any pattern in only 2 iterations. ...

While, at one level, you are correct, at a deeper level you are quite off base. When looking only at the iPad, yes, there are only two data points. However, Apple's track record extends well beyond just the iPad launches. If the release record of all of the iDevices are considered, then the idea of an annual release cycle is pretty well established.

Does that mean that such a schedule is never modified or adjusted? Of course not, but in data analysis having one data point that doesn't mean that the pattern isn't valid. Such a data point is called an outlier.

Will Apple release their products when they want to? Of course. Will they generally follow a pattern with such releases? Well, based on their historic track record, for the most part, yes.

In short, when critiquing someone else's approach to data analysis, you might want to take a little more care with your own...

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
California
BS.

Apple's logistics alone relagates such a concept to the realm of pulp fantasy. They're simply isn't enough time in the day or manufacturers in China. And Apple is incapable of putting out quick massive upgrades nor should it be. A better approach is an annual one with popping your product as close to the bleeding edge as feasible. That makes your consumers happy and about the time they are ready to start considering another investment, there you are with another product. Doing 6 month upgrades begs the question of why one didn't upgrade the damn thing all the way the first time. I think it would just piss people off.

As far as a good upgrade plan, they do this on the iPad as evidenced by the terrible tech performance (software + hardware) of other tablets. They are fair on the iPhone, could be better hardware at this point. They are poor on the Macs - the hardware specs are way behind the industry levels. I would feel less raped by the price premium if the specs were unbeatable.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
In short, when critiquing someone else's approach to data analysis, you might want to take a little more care with your own...

I didn't critique someone else's approach to data analysis. These "someone elses" are swearing by a pattern based upon 2 iterations. Apple has repeatedly demonstrated that they generally do NOT follow patterns- at least for very long. We just saw that with no new iPhone at WWDC after a fairly regular, apparent link to launching new iPhones there. Now, they make one change, and this crowd has pretty much adopted a Fall to Fall "pattern" for iPhones.

I am not predicting when it/they will launch. I'm suggesting there's no pattern.

There's a buying guide on this site. Note how it doesn't predict specific dates or even a specific month for product launches. What it does do is generally estimate when a new model is likely based on past releases. A new model can be likely for many months. Based on your post, I went to it and looked at iOS devices in search of a pattern vs. outliers. It shows iPhones as 2/08, 7/08, 6/09, 6/10, and 10/11. What's the pattern there?

Please take your superior:rolleyes: approach to data analysis and show me the pattern and then please use it to correctly call when an iPad 3 will be launched and whether an iPad 4 will launch this year or next. We all want to know for certain.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Maybe now is the point at which MR stops posting all the random BS Digitimes shoots out.

Really, what's the point? With their history of accuracy, they're obsvioulsy just making this stuff up.

MR might as well post random speculations from members... Probably be more creative.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Why do these sources continue to push these "interim release" rumors crap? Its getting tiresome already. I can't believe Apple would ever find it cost-effective to release a new iPad/iPhone six months apart. Quick refreshes of laptops happen because its not very expensive for Apple to do it as its technically not a "new" product. But an iPhone/iPad release, even a minor upgrade, is a major event (see iPhone 4 -> 4S) and they can't afford to do it four times a year, twice for iPads and iPhones. Its ridiculous.

But sure enough, in another month or so, a new slew of these stupid rumors about mythical new iPhones and/or iPads released on the heals of a recent release will deluge us.

pcharles

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2003
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
And don't forget the iPad 5 to be released in December 2012 in time for the holiday season.

Then get ready for 2013. "The Year of the iPad". New iPads every month!

Ah! Yes, it is that time of year when every conceivable iPad prediction comes out of the anal-ysts office. This year is my year for a new iPad. I bought version one the moment pre-orders were available and skipped the iPad 2 because I was happy with my iPad 1 and the cameras sucked so much I was repelled by them. So, this year is a good time to upgrade because then I can pass the old one on to my 6 year old nephew to play with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.