Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
You still can restore but you will need a customs firmware to restore it to. You can use sn0wbreeze (if you have PC) or Pwnage tool (if you have Mac) to cook a customs 4.2.1 firmware to restore it to.

Does restoring a jailbroken 4.2.1 iPhone 3G with the 6.15 baseband follow the "normal" jailbreak procedures with sn0wbreeze/Pwnage Tool?

In other words, if I want to restore then re-jailbreak and unlock such a device would I need to save the SHSH blobs through TinyUmbrella, preserve the baseband, or do anything like that?

CHINABEE

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
I need some help with unlocking my phone!

I have a iphone3g , 4.2.1 , 05.15.04 . I had a friend try and unlock it so I could use a t-mobile sim but he clearly didnt know how to do just that. I (think) I did jailbreak the phone .. but as far as unlocking .. I failed. Things are a mess and I do not know what I am doing. Could anyone give me step-by-step easy instructions on how to unlock my phone so I could use a t-mobile sim card. Also the links to where I can download for windows. I do not mind if I have to use the Ipad baseband . Can someone please help me?

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
I have a iphone3g , 4.2.1 , 05.15.04 . I had a friend try and unlock it so I could use a t-mobile sim but he clearly didnt know how to do just that. I (think) I did jailbreak the phone .. but as far as unlocking .. I failed. Things are a mess and I do not know what I am doing. Could anyone give me step-by-step easy instructions on how to unlock my phone so I could use a t-mobile sim card. Also the links to where I can download for windows. I do not mind if I have to use the Ipad baseband . Can someone please help me?

1. install fuzzyband from Cydia to check to see if your phone has 05.08 bootloader. If it does, then you can downgrade its baseband to lower version and and it can be unlocked with ultrasn0w. If your phone bootloader is higher than 05.08, then go to step 2.

2. The only option for you to unlock your phone is to install an Ipad baseband. Once you put this on, it will kill your phone GPS. If you decide to do it, then follow the following;

a. Download redsn0w 0.9.6rc16
b. run redsn0w, click on "install ipad baseband" and follow it instruction.
c. install ultrasn0w 1.2.5 from Cydia to unlock your phone.

Good luck.

CHINABEE

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
Where can I download the redsnow ? Every website I try to download it from for windows it either said page not found or this download has been removed.

hartscape

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
i phone 3

hi crystal i have jailbroke my iphone installed cydia ...i,m having problems unlocking but now know after reading here why...it was on orange network i used ultrasnow now its t mobile...my question is my baseband version is 05.15.04.....bootloder version is 06.04{g2m3s2}...0s version 4.2.1.......
got all this from tiny umberella like you suggested but the fuzzyband app did just as well though it can,t downgrade it still gives all this imformation...so i take it that the only way to unlock this phone is upgrade to i pad software?..i,m doing great at moment and even though its only 15 pound to unlock i feel like i,m acheiving something and learning fast so i look forward to some advice thanks and happy xmas :eek:

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
hi crystal i have jailbroke my iphone installed cydia ...i,m having problems unlocking but now know after reading here why...it was on orange network i used ultrasnow now its t mobile...my question is my baseband version is 05.15.04.....bootloder version is 06.04{g2m3s2}...0s version 4.2.1.......
got all this from tiny umberella like you suggested but the fuzzyband app did just as well though it can,t downgrade it still gives all this imformation...so i take it that the only way to unlock this phone is upgrade to i pad software?..i,m doing great at moment and even though its only 15 pound to unlock i feel like i,m acheiving something and learning fast so i look forward to some advice thanks and happy xmas :eek:

If you can ask your carrier to unlock it, then it would be great. Otherwise, the only way to unlock your phone is to put Ipad baseband on it.

hartscape

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
unlocked it

hi upgraded to 6.15 ..re installed cydia ...then used ultrasn0w to unlock it ..put a contract virgin sim card in it but didn,t work ..checked the carriers and they were all there and i ticked the vodafone one...it still kept saying no service...i thought it was my area so went for a drive to see if i could pick up a signal but no luck...anyway checked the general settings and then about...at the bottom it said T mobile which i thought was a bit strange..so i went back to carriers and chose T mobile instead of vodafone and then voila virgin mobile came on and signal strenght perfect.made a few phone calls works perfectly...somehow the carrier list was switched about to the actual sim cards you can put in...lateral thinking and deduction helped me as well as advice on here ..the other thing i instantly noticed is the wi fi signal meter is grey now and only turns blue when using an app same with power battery bar its grey then only turns green when using an app...thats it ..now some advice how to get my paid apps off itunes which i stored on there without affecting my phone would be great...thanks every one

Jayson Wonder

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2012
Check Bootloader Version

Is there a way to check the bootloader version on a 3g without being jail broken?

Want to find out what my options for unlocking but have yet to jailbreak.

Any advice is helpful.

Thanks,

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Is there a way to check the bootloader version on a 3g without being jail broken?

Want to find out what my options for unlocking but have yet to jailbreak.

Any advice is helpful.

Thanks,

download tiny umbrella, run it and it will tell you what bootloader your phone has. Look at the bottom section of tiny umbrella where it displace the info.

Jayson Wonder

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2012
download tiny umbrella, run it and it will tell you what bootloader your phone has. Look at the bottom section of tiny umbrella where it displace the info.

Thanks for quick reply.

I did Tiny Unbrella, this is what I get:

Device Model: MB629C/B - iPhone3G
Installed Firmware Version: 4.2.1
Installed Baseband version: 05.15.04-6.4_M3S2

I assume this means I an have to do the iPad BB method loosing GPS? :(

What else will I loose? There was a posted here that said he never lost his GPS, is there any way to save the GPS?

I also heard there was suppose to be away to downgrade back to iphone BB later, have you heard if there is any truth to this?

Thanks very much great forum!!!

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Thanks for quick reply.

I did Tiny Unbrella, this is what I get:

Device Model: MB629C/B - iPhone3G
Installed Firmware Version: 4.2.1
Installed Baseband version: 05.15.04-6.4_M3S2

I assume this means I an have to do the iPad BB method loosing GPS? :(

What else will I loose? There was a posted here that said he never lost his GPS, is there any way to save the GPS?

I also heard there was suppose to be away to downgrade back to iphone BB later, have you heard if there is any truth to this?

Thanks very much great forum!!!

Yeah. Your phone bootloader is 06.04 and therefore, the only option if you want to unlock your phone is to have ipad baseband on it.

Here is the full post from Dev Team relate to ipad baseband on 3G/3GS for your reference;

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/1718400992/ultra-recycle

I am sure there is exception to the GPS's issue. However, I think it is safe to assume that once you put an Ipad baseband on your phone, you will kill it GPS, if it doesn't great, if it does, then you have anticipated it already. :)

Jayson Wonder

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2012
Yeah. Your phone bootloader is 06.04 and therefore, the only option if you want to unlock your phone is to have ipad baseband on it.

Here is the full post from Dev Team relate to ipad baseband on 3G/3GS for your reference;

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/1718400992/ultra-recycle

I am sure there is exception to the GPS's issue. However, I think it is safe to assume that once you put an Ipad baseband on your phone, you will kill it GPS, if it doesn't great, if it does, then you have anticipated it already. :)

Ok thanks, I read that, pretty helpful. I just do not understand if this is a tethered method. I need to do a untethered method.

My only goal is to unlock a 3g so she can use Telus instead of Rogers. What do you recommend? I will go with the option you mention as you seem really know what you are talking about.

Thanks,

Ksizzle9

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Guy posting about 3G, I would go ahead and downgrade the 3G to 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 if u know how, the phone will run much, much better. Won't look quite as good but will def be smoother

Jayson Wonder

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Guy posting about 3G, I would go ahead and downgrade the 3G to 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 if u know how, the phone will run much, much better. Won't look quite as good but will def be smoother

Don't know how can you tell? Also will this allow me to unlock without iPad BB?

Thanks, I am new to all of this. :(

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Ok thanks, I read that, pretty helpful. I just do not understand if this is a tethered method. I need to do a untethered method.

My only goal is to unlock a 3g so she can use Telus instead of Rogers. What do you recommend? I will go with the option you mention as you seem really know what you are talking about.

Thanks,

Jailbreak with redsn0w for your phone now is untethered. That post was old.

dj29152

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2010
Crystal-RX- seems like you know this in and out.

I have been reading this and have been on researching for the past 2 hours.

need your advice i have a 3GS 8GB on 4.2.1 with BB 5.15.04, is it possible to upgrade to 5.0.1 and unlock? If not, what is my option to jailbreak and unlock the phone?

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Crystal-RX- seems like you know this in and out.

I have been reading this and have been on researching for the past 2 hours.

need your advice i have a 3GS 8GB on 4.2.1 with BB 5.15.04, is it possible to upgrade to 5.0.1 and unlock? If not, what is my option to jailbreak and unlock the phone?

look at the 3rd digit (year), 4th and 5th (week) of serial # of that phone and let me know what is it? 3gs made in 2011, week 35 and above will have problem with iPad baseband.

If your phone makes before that time and you understand the consequences, then you can upgrade to 5.0.1 and unlock it if you put iPad baseband on your phone.

dj29152

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2010
So i have two 3GS 8Gb

iPhone 1.) 3rd Digit: 1 4th: 0 5th: 8
iPhone 2.) 3rd Digit: 9 4th: 1 5th: 8

seems like it is before, is there an alternative to the iPad baseband upgrade? Even if that means not going to IOS 5.

Last edited:

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
So i have two 3GS 8Gb

iPhone 1.) 3rd Digit: 1 4th: 0 5th: 8
iPhone 2.) 3rd Digit: 9 4th: 1 5th: 8

seems like it is before, is there an alternative to the iPad baseband upgrade? Even if that means not going to IOS 5.

If baseband on these phones is higher than 05.13, the only option you have is an iPad baseband if you want to unlock then. Unless your phones not in the US and carrier can unlock that for you.

For 3GS that does not have blobs save, it can either go to 4.1 or 5.0.1 now.

dj29152

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2010
If baseband on these phones is higher than 05.13, the only option you have is an iPad baseband if you want to unlock then. Unless your phones not in the US and carrier can unlock that for you.

For 3GS that does not have blobs save, it can either go to 4.1 or 5.0.1 now.

The baseband is higher then 5.13, its 5.15 right now.

Well these two phones would be used over seas eventually, not sure if they would unlock it there either.

I don't think the blobs were saved online.

Seems like iPad BB is the only way to go?

dj29152

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2010
So I tried to restore using iTunes but kept getting error 3194. I thought this was the host file issue and even resolved it, but it still wouldn't work.

Then I gave up that and started right at redsnow, I jailbroke the phone which upgraded the BB to 6.15 and installed cydia. However cydia was a white icon and wouldn't start up. so i went through the jailbreak installing only cydia, this completed but cydia was acting the same way.

So now I have a 3GS with 6.15 BB jailbroken kinda and to unlock

Also the other 3GS is really a 3G (not S) ... That one is not activated and stuck on it. I tried restoring via iTunes in recovery mode but faced the 3194 error.

Btw I was using Windows 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.