Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Lately I've had nothing but trouble with Safari and YouTube! Videos play but my CPU usage has spiked anywhere from 80-100% during even a 240p video! Its crazy! :/ I have the latest software updates too. Also I can't go full screen, only standard or large player in YouTube...not cool...anyways I posted my activity monitor screenshots of when it was happening a few minutes ago again...its just frustrating...my computer gets really slow...I mean I can encode a BluRay and work fine but YouTube makes my MBP crawl! :O Help?

Attachments

• usagewtf.png
    usagewtf.png
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,377
  • useagewtf2.png
    useagewtf2.png
    113.6 KB · Views: 954

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
I can watch Youtube videos all day long without the computer heating up or the fans going crazy. I'm watching one as we speak and my CPU is 90% idle.

iforbes

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
I can watch Youtube videos all day long without the computer heating up or the fans going crazy. I'm watching one as we speak and my CPU is 90% idle.

I just watched about 5 minutes worth of Will it Blend on youtube.com...activity monitor was always around 90% idle for me too...

hmmm...how do you tell if you are watching the flash version or the html5 version?

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Lately I've had nothing but trouble with Safari and YouTube! Videos play but my CPU usage has spiked anywhere from 80-100% during even a 240p video!

1. Quit/restart the Finder. It robs 80 percent of one core. QuickLook and other Finder processes/plugins can cause such high CPU usage.
2. Make sure you use at least Mac OS X 10.6.3 or better 10.6.8. Mac OS X 10.6.3 includes the VDA framework, which newer versions of the Flash Player use to decode H.264 data streams (GPU hardware accelerated). Even a 9400M IGP is enough for 1080p H.264 YT-videos (tested). Video-stuttering is mostly a bandwidth problem, not a GPU problem.
3. Make sure you have the latest Flash Player, because it supports hardware acceleration and multithreading.
4. If you use Safari v5.x.x, go to http://youtube.com/html5 to enable the HTML5 H.264 video decoder for YT-videos within Safari. Safari uses then the GPU to decode the H.264 stream.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Nonsense. Not 100% anyway.

There's something wrong with the OP's system.
It's not nonsense, and I didn't say anything about specific percentages. It's common knowledge that Flash content on websites is demanding on CPU resources.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
That is how flash works. It's outdated and there's nothing you can do about it. This is why HTML5 is so much better.

Yeah no ****! Haha I hate Flash and HTML5 is the new wave but that doesn't change anything. The fact of the matter is 3 weeks ago YouTube's flash wasn't even a blip on the radar....now it freezes my computer up? I can play 130mbps ProRes video files with FAR less lag as well as just about any other video file...it doesn't make sense. Especially since I now have 8gigs of RAM...why would going from 6gigs-8gigs make it slower? It doesn't make sense....

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
1) Go to youtube.com/html5 and deactivate the html5 trial. That fixes the fullscreen issue

2) Try Chrome instead of Safari.

3) I don't know why Flash is acting up suddenly for you.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
This is really good for me!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-01-07 at 10.56.00 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-01-07 at 10.56.00 PM.png
    550.4 KB · Views: 1,584

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
It's not nonsense, and I didn't say anything about specific percentages.

Exactly. Did you even see the OP's claimed CPU load?

No. Instead you once again chose to respond with one of your canned responses implying that all is well in Apple Land and the OP's plight is basically "in his head". :confused

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Of course I did, and such a load under Flash is not uncommon.
No. Instead you once again chose to respond with one of your canned responses implying that all is well in Apple Land and the OP's plight is basically "in his head". :confused
Wrong. In no way did I imply that it was "in his head" or that "all was well", which is why I posted suggestions on how to mitigate the problem, rather than say "there's nothing you can do about it" or "get used to it." My post was completely accurate and appropriate for the OP's situation.

ljones

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
92 to 96% idle for me, and thats with a number of apps open and active.

Flash can cause this, if the app is poorly written, but I am not seeing this with youtube in Safari. Bad developers need to be pointed out just as much as flash, given they cause most of the issues most people complain about. Its not all the tech. I've developed a number of apps and I've only seen high CPU usage when i used realtime 3D in full screen mode, and some videos playing full screen.

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
The problem...core 2 duo. I've used both the i5 and core 2 duo mbp's and the icore handles flash and hd video without breaking a sweat.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
With chrome flash, I've noticed that the CPU demand is very high (20% load/80% idle on quad core i7) when part of the video is still downloading in the background. This is almost independent of the video resolution. Once the video has finished loading the CPU load goes down to 5% or less.

Safari with html5 playback behaves much better, the load always stays around 5% or less. Unfortunately fullscreen playback is broken currently.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

Nothing to do with Apple land. High CPU usage when using flash can be reproduced in Win 7.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Nothing to do with Apple land. High CPU usage when using flash can be reproduced in Win 7.

Yeah, but if you look at the OPs post in detail, there are two issues:
- significantly increased CPU load during video playback compared to the situation a few weeks ago on the same machine
- fullscreen video playback not working

The standard response that Flash is resource hungry is really useless here. Recommending the html5 player is also counter-productive, since this is the one that actually is responsible for breaking full-screen.

If one does not want to take time and identify the problem of the OP, then sometimes it's better not to reply.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Yeah, but if you look at the OPs post in detail, there are two issues:
- significantly increased CPU load during video playback compared to the situation a few weeks ago on the same machine
- fullscreen video playback not working

The standard response that Flash is resource hungry is really useless here. Recommending the html5 player is also counter-productive, since this is the one that actually is responsible for breaking full-screen.

If one does not want to take time and identify the problem of the OP, then sometimes it's better not to reply.
Fair enough, but I was replying to a specific post that really needed a response. It's a disease I have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.