Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Is there any way to enable the "natural" scrolling in Lion for the trackpad, but enable the "reverse" scrolling for a plugged in USB mouse?

I've already adjusted to natural scrolling, and in fact prefer it, but on my mouse, not only is "reverse," or the normal method of scrolling, much better (for me), but I'd rather not get used to using a mouse the wrong way when all Windows PCs and work computers I'd have to use scroll differently.

I tried looking in BetterTouchTool but that does not work. And while in preferences, there are two differently worded checkboxes in the Mouse and Trackpad preferences that seemingly would allow this, they are linked, and checking/unchecking one does the same for the other.

Thanks!

Reactions: Eduardo Forneck

henz

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
I have the same problem... and although there's two tick boxes (either one in trackpad and mouse settings) they are hooked up to the same global switch as it looks like. Has anyone manged to retain the mouse scrolling behaviour and only use the natural scrolling for the trackpadk?

eyespii

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
if you download steermouse, you can change the scroll wheel behavior to do what you want. If in the OS settings you have "natural" scrolling enabled, just flip the mouse wheel scroll direction. Only thing is steermouse isn't free - costs $20.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
Either change it in mouse settings in preferences, use natural scrolling or just get a program:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37872/scroll-reverser

here you go for free :)
The screen shot of Scroll Reverser makes it look like it reverses scrolling for all devices instead of keeping natural scrolling for the trackpad and reverse scrolling for a mouse wheel. Is that accurate?

I'm in the same boat as dotdotdot. I enjoy using natural scrolling on my trackpad but I don't think it makes sense for wheel scrolling.

eyespii

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
Steve Jobs must have forgotten that mouse wheels still existed. It makes absolutely no sense to have the screen scroll DOWN when you roll a mouse wheel UP.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Steve Jobs must have forgotten that mouse wheels still existed. It makes absolutely no sense to have the screen scroll DOWN when you roll a mouse wheel UP.

well seeing as they have the magic mouse and the magic trackpad.. i really don't think they care for any other product then their two favorites :p

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
well seeing as they have the magic mouse and the magic trackpad.. i really don't think they care for any other product then their two favorites :p

Talk about refusing to play nicely with other products. Once I installed Lion, my Logitech scroll wheel started behaving in reverse and there is no way to put it back.

Here's my Mouse settings after installing Lion:

Nothing to disable natural scrolling.

Attachments

• OS X Lion Mouse settings.png
    OS X Lion Mouse settings.png
    166.9 KB · Views: 3,061
Last edited:

mikeytwice

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2005
I'm in the same boat here... I'd love to be able to assign different behavior to my mouse than to my trackpad.

Greedylittle

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Either change it in mouse settings in preferences, use natural scrolling or just get a program:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37872/scroll-reverser

here you go for free :)

(preface: new mac owner- so excuse the ignorance)

I down loaded this software and the forward/back gesture in safari stopped working. Not sure the root cause- but when I close to program the gesture works and when I run the program the gesture doesn't work.

I did solve the natural/normal scrolling issue though!

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Talk about refusing to play nicely with other products. Once I installed Lion, my Logitech scroll wheel started behaving in reverse and there is no way to put it back.

Here's my Mouse settings after installing Lion:

Nothing to disable natural scrolling.

Your screenshot is in "More Gestures" pane. Switch it to point and click...its the first option.

mc-dov

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
Scroll reverser

I ran the Scroll Reverser but it just doesn't work.
I am using a USB mouse (some old Dell mouse).
How can I get it to work ?

Jomatt98

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2012
How to make the scroll reverser work

I ran the Scroll Reverser but it just doesn't work.
I am using a USB mouse (some old Dell mouse).
How can I get it to work ?

In order to get the scroll reverser to work in a way that lets you have natural track pad scrolling and normal mouse scrolling do the following:

1. download scroll reverser program from http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37872/scroll-reverser

2. go into system preferences and make sure the box that enables natural track pad scrolling is NOT checked.

3. turn on scroll reverser

4. click on the icon on the toolbar, go to preferences, and un-check the reverse mouse option

5. This is an optional step for convenience. click on the icon on the toolbar, go to preferences, and check the option that says "Start at Login." This will make it so you do not have to turn on and configure the scroll reverser each time you log in.

I use an old dell mouse as well, and this worked perfectly.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Mac OS X Hints mentioned using USB Overdrive to accomplish this. I can't test it out right now, but it sounds like it works.

I've used USB Overdrive but it appears to be a dead product. Emails to the developer go unanswered and the last update appears to be pre Lion. I had hoped it would restore the ability to use my tarsus bluetooth presenter; but it didn't and as I said the developer appears unreachable.

While Steermouse doesn't support the Targus Presenter, it works nice with my Dell mouse and the developer answers questions quickly.

Try both and see which is best for you; I went with steer mouse because of the developer's responsiveness.

----------

I disagree - wheeling up, to me, logically pushes the screen up so the screen scrolls down, and vice versa.

Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference. Since the old convention was the reverse we tend to prefer it simply because we are loath to change.

It is good to have the ability to adjust its behavior to match our preferences.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona

It actually does make sense. The first time I tried using the mouse wheel on my Windows laptop, I tried to scroll the natural way and I thought the wheel was not functioning until I remembered that Windows uses the old way. After using my Magic Trackpad for so long with natural scrolling it just became natural to scroll that way regardless of the input device being used. Also using an iPad for so long has helped train my mind that I am moving the content and not the scrollbar anymore.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
Scroll Reverser seems to be working for me as well. Thanks for posting that.

I was having the exact same problem as the OP. I have to use Windows computers for work, and it's too confusing for me to switch scroll directions between work and home.

It would be nice if Apple woke up to this issue and made the "natural" scroll direction separate for the mouse and trackpad.

p.s. seems to work for Mountain Lion as well.

Reactions: liran

TriWinning

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
Scroll reverser works perfect for me.

I want one setting for my mouse scroll wheel, that has been hardwired into me, and a different one for my trackpad.

I understand Apple's decision to not have two different settings for simplicity and the fact that their own products (trackpad, jumbo trackpad and magic mouse) are all multitouch, but it would be nice to see them add a new option.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
Agreed. Scroll Reverser has been working perfectly for me since July 2011 and I'm not sure I'd be happy to this day with OS X while switching between my trackpad and a mouse if I didn't have it. In fact, I'd like to donate to the developer if anyone of you see a way to do so.

MysticCoder

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2013
ScrollReverser is definitely the solution. Works for me on Mountain Lion 10.8.2.

My settings:

- Scroll Direction natural in System Trackpad preference settings.
- Reverse Scrolling enabled in ScrollReverser.
- Reverse Vertical, Reverse Mouse, Start at Login ENABLED in ScrollReverser preferences.
- Reverse Trackpad DISABLED in ScrollReverser preferences.

I think those settings make the most sense.

It's the perfect app to achieve this solution, free and you can hide it from the menu bar if you don't like clutter. Apple should definitely have this option in their preferences though...

Reactions: mike_flames

MikBe

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
I disagree - wheeling up, to me, logically pushes the screen up so the screen scrolls down, and vice versa.

Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference. Since the old convention was the reverse we tend to prefer it simply because we are loath to change.

It is good to have the ability to adjust its behavior to match our preferences.

A sufficiently plastic brain will allow you to see either way as "natural," the problem comes with ergonomics. Pulling the mouse wheel towards you is much easier and less stressful on your hand. This is the no-quotation-marks-natural ergonomic for the human body.

The new Apple "natural" functionality is like handing you a delicious ice cream (trackpad use) with one hand while the other smacks you in the back of the head (mouse use).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.