Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Just wondering why the site would let you report your own post. That is, if it does - because I was afraid to test it out on myself. :)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Just wondering why the site would let you report your own post. That is, if it does - because I was afraid to test it out on myself. :)

It's also probably easier to code the site that way and make it apply to all posts. Rather than having to code in exceptions.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Sometimes people post in error and want their post deleted.

Yes, you can report your own post if it needs to be deleted or moved
Sometimes users post in the wrong Forum and then repost in the right Forum
Reporting their original post allows Moderators to easily find and delete the duplicate
Or, they can report the post to have it moved instead of reposting

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Okay, that explains it. I might just grant the user the ability to delete it themselves, but I see how that could potentially be problematic/confusing.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Yes, you can report your own post if it needs to be deleted or moved
Sometimes users post in the wrong Forum and then repost in the right Forum
Reporting their original post allows Moderators to easily find and delete the duplicate
Or, they can report the post to have it moved instead of reposting

Which is more difficult for the mods? ;)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Which is more difficult for the mods? ;)

That depends. What is most a pain is when both threads have active replies by the time we get to it.

In which case, we (at least I) would have preferred that the OP had reported the dang thing in the first place. :p

Adding a poll after the fact is another one that we have to deal with every so often.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.