Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themoffster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Hi.
I have a 2011 21.5" iMac which i have recently made dual boot by installing Windows 7.

Do i need to install antivirus on the Windows OS?
I'm aware there aren't viruses for macs, but as i am now running windows for a few hours each day should i install some antivirus for the windows partition?

Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Any Windows installation should run antivirus software to protect itself, even though Windows malware cannot affect Mac OS X.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
IMO running security essentials is the same as running nothing at all. Its worse than nortons at protecting your system. If you really want protection its going to come at a cost, it will eat some resources and some of your wallet. There is no better protection than kaspersky internet suite, period. Some folks like AVG because its free but i've seen plenty of virus's and malware make it through that i personally would never use it. Its better than nothing, but still why bother? Imo either don't use windows for emails or web browsing (basically anything internet related) or use some good protection. I've had pcs running for years with kaspersky and never needed an os reinstall. My personal best was 5 years with my last dell, its still virus free and running smooth. I use kaspersky on all windows pcs in my home and office and recommend it to anyone else who uses one as well.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
IMO running security essentials is the same as running nothing at all. Its worse than nortons at protecting your system. If you really want protection its going to come at a cost, it will eat some resources and some of your wallet. There is no better protection than kaspersky internet suite, period. Some folks like AVG because its free but i've seen plenty of virus's and malware make it through that i personally would never use it. Its better than nothing, but still why bother? Imo either don't use windows for emails or web browsing (basically anything internet related) or use some good protection. I've had pcs running for years with kaspersky and never needed an os reinstall. My personal best was 5 years with my last dell, its still virus free and running smooth. I use kaspersky on all windows pcs in my home and office and recommend it to anyone else who uses one as well.

Yep, it sucks... :rolleyes:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/172958/independent_tester_security_essentials_very_good.html

Keep paying for your software that can be had for free. It may not be the best, but I have been running it for years and not had a single problem.

Last edited:

waynep

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009

Viruses are not the only reason for reinstalls. That's not a good indicator that the anti-virus program is doing it's thing.

The best anti-virus strategy is using common sense. You can avoid most thing by simply using your brain.

MS Security Essentials works fine. It's free and light weight. You don't need the heavy weight programs and their marketing. I have been using MS-SE since it's introduction. Never had a virus or any malware. It works fine.

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
Viruses are not the only reason for reinstalls. That's not a good indicator that the anti-virus program is doing it's thing.

The best anti-virus strategy is using common sense. You can avoid most thing by simply using your brain.

MS Security Essentials works fine. It's free and light weight. You don't need the heavy weight programs and their marketing. I have been using MS-SE since it's introduction. Never had a virus or any malware. It works fine.

I would have to disagree with your comment about 'common sense', I have had several clients get infected with nasty malware from simple casual browsing, not going to sites they shouldn't have. I would never let a PC on the internet without some form of AV and most protect against malware these days as well. MSE is better then nothing, although I believe 'you get what you pay for' rings true with MSE, its free, so don't expect much.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
I would have to disagree with your comment about 'common sense', I have had several clients get infected with nasty malware from simple casual browsing, not going to sites they shouldn't have. I would never let a PC on the internet without some form of AV and most protect against malware these days as well. MSE is better then nothing, although I believe 'you get what you pay for' rings true with MSE, its free, so don't expect much.

Well then you contradicted your own comment. Common sense would dictate that you don't go to sites that you shouldn't.

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
+1 for Microsoft Security Essentials. Nice and lightweight and out of the way on a dual boot system. It doesn't scream at you just cause you've been on the 'other side' and haven't used the windows machine for a while, and overall is less of a performance drain that AVG can be. (Don't get me wrong, I do love AVG and have used it for years, but MSE has been slowly taking over my machines :p )

jwm2

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
Well then you contradicted your own comment. Common sense would dictate that you don't go to sites that you shouldn't.

You can get viruses from perfectly respectable websites that have been compromised. You can also get them from emails which look perfectly normal. I'm giving him sound advice on protecting his system, you do whatever it is you do.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
You can get viruses from perfectly respectable websites that have been compromised. You can also get them from emails which look perfectly normal. I'm giving him sound advice on protecting his system, you do whatever it is you do.

No, you are giving him a biased opinion. There is nothing wrong with what you said, minus the fluff about MS Essentials. Why pay for expensive software when the MS package works just fine and will do what he needs to for the limited amount of time that you will be in Windows?

Your advice is sound, you opinion is not. MS Essentials has scored well against other companies. What you are saying above indicates that I said not to use any virus software but that simply isn't the case now is it?

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
Most of you will probably flame me for it, but I run windows without any virus scanner at all. No problems whatsoever. Ok, the only thing I do, is use solid works (and use Chrome to check my mail and stuff while on the windows partition). I've been doing this for years. Never had a virus. Only cookies from websites.

Then again, most of you would say "you got a virus, you just didn't know". Well, don't know, don't care. As long as performance is good enough.

(btw I was just curious whether I really didn't get a virus, so I installed AVG and it showed none, this was a few years however).

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
(btw I was just curious whether I really didn't get a virus, so I installed AVG and it showed none, this was a few years however).

So you just check on a windows system every few years???

Seriously anyone running any version of windows needs to be constantly checking status and making sure everything is patched ... and well keeping our fingers crossed.

That's just win life in the 201x's ...

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Then again, most of you would say "you got a virus, you just didn't know". Well, don't know, don't care. As long as performance is good enough.

Bet you would care if your PC was turned into bot and then used to attack some government site. The feds would be knocking on your door wanting that carefree PC of yours.

Yes, you could possibly have a virus and not even know it. It is cheap and easy to run Microsoft Security Essentials so why not do it?

For the life of me I don't understand why you wouldn't.

----------

That's just win life in the 201x's ...

That is PC life period! Even Apple patches its system from time to time. No system is completely failsafe but Apple does a pretty good job and MS has come a long way as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.