Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ksizzle9

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

To answer your ? About needing the sim to activate on Verizon. no, u do not. It won't hurt anything to be in there. But isn't really a requirement.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
no is not an answer, and nothing is impossible. change your prospective and rethink a better answer.

here are a few question;

do you know how to access and edit the IOS5
if so, what programs can we use on a pc.

serious answers please

In your particular question, no is the right answer.
Now if you like to hear it or not that's another thing but I answered it correctly.
If you want to ask something else open your own thread/discussion and dont hijack someone elses thread.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I do have one other question, if I want to use it on verizon again, does it need the Verizon roaming sim back in it or will it work on Verizon with no SIM?
CDMA doesn't use a sim. Now, people have mentioned that the advanced tech in cdma will have a sim, but that's a ways off.

no is not an answer, and nothing is impossible. change your prospective and rethink a better answer.

here are a few question;

serious answers please
There isn't a jb for 4S even. So even if it were possible, you still couldn't do anything about it. Also, it's doubtful the dev team is going to waste their time on such a futile effort as this. Unless you know how to hack it, I suggest you abandon this idea.
FYI: No is an answer. It's not our fault you're like some thick headed, stubborn fool who doesn't understand the meaning of no. Perhaps you need to stop being so inflexible and purchase an unlocked phone that'll work with t-mobile or whoever else you want to use it with.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
CDMA doesn't use a sim. Now, people have mentioned that the advanced tech in cdma will have a sim, but that's a ways off.

There isn't a jb for 4S even. So even if it were possible, you still couldn't do anything about it. Also, it's doubtful the dev team is going to waste their time on such a futile effort as this. Unless you know how to hack it, I suggest you abandon this idea.
FYI: No is an answer. It's not our fault you're like some thick headed, stubborn fool who doesn't understand the meaning of no. Perhaps you need to stop being so inflexible and purchase an unlocked phone that'll work with t-mobile or whoever else you want to use it with.

Well what if he doesn't? :p

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut

here are a few question;

serious answers please

If you have a jailbreak and unlock for the 4S, we would love to have a copy. :rolleyes:

Nlynn527

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
no is not an answer, and nothing is impossible. Change your prospective and rethink a better answer.

Here are a few question;

do you know how to access and edit the ios5

Serious answers please

lol!

flak0x

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2011
The JB is coming in a few days according to pod2g. Check his blog.

I think a simple JB tweak can atleast allow data use with a TMobile SIM. At the activation screen it connects to Apples servers (I think; It connects somewhere) to check if the SIM is allowed. At this point the phone allows EDGE from any carrier, if there was a tweak that can let us bypass the activation screen, we'd be able to use EDGE.

Sort of like how this guy did it:

http://hhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF9hkZg-kBE&feature=related

I followed the steps but only got 2 secs before the T-Mobile logo dissappeared. Maybe a JB fix can make it stick?

Hopefully something like a full 4S unlock isn't out of this world.

Last edited:

flak0x

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2011
That methods works 100% as long as you only need T-Mobile service for a couple of seconds.

It actually lasts a few minutes. That's not my point though. I'm saying maybe there could be a JB tweak that would allow it to stick forever?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
It actually lasts a few minutes. That's not my point though. I'm saying maybe there could be a JB tweak that would allow it to stick forever?

An unlock its not just a simple JB tweak as you suggested above.
Without an unlock you cannot get another carriers data apn settings to work on a locked iphone. Neither voice, text messages or Edge data.
Takes tons of work, time and coding.
It would be great if things were as easy though.
And a JB tweak would never make something like that "stick forever" since its a software hack and will go away the minute someone updates or restores the iphone.
I wont go any further explaining but you need to research a learn more about the topic before you post any more assumptions.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009

here are a few question;

serious answers please

It is impossible to use a Verizon or Sprint iPhone on any other domestic carrier. There is absolutely no way you can do this. Sorry bro but your out of luck with that.

Ksizzle9

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have the same question in a different context...I guess. So my vzw 4S has been unlocked by vzw, and I have used it outside the US w/o problem, on other carriers than vzw. So, the phone is clearly compatible with using any GSM service as long as it isn't domestic. So we wouldn't technically need an unlock, only a way to get around that no domestic carrier BS. That may be what one of the posters was asking. If it wasn't, it's what I'm asking. This has never been a question when talking about a unlock, because there has never been a world phone iPhone on Verizon. So this likely isn't something that has been thought about a whole lot.

The better question would be, if we have a unlocked Verizon iPhone, once jailbreak is available, how the hell do we get it on domestic carrier? It shares the same BB as all other 4S' so why can't this be possible?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

The better question would be, if we have a unlocked Verizon iPhone, once jailbreak is available, how the hell do we get it on domestic carrier? It shares the same BB as all other 4S' so why can't this be possible?

It will still need a software unlock in order to work with any domestic GSM carrier.
The same way all other locked iphones would.
But we just gotta wait and see how it plays. They said they were working on one for the 4S.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
If somehow making that temporary unlock "stick", someone would have figured it out.

Maybe Dev Team or someone else will eventually figure out an unlock for a 4S, but it's a ways off, as they would, in all likelihood, need a Jailbreak first, and that's not out yet.

Ksizzle9

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2011

Well then the last time I posted that exact same scenario in a thread I was Misinformed. The person who answer my question(I wasn't the OP) told me that no Vzw 4S could ever work on domestic GSM. to which I responded that I've seen it work, at least roam on AT&T with the other sim. Thanks for clearing that up, maybe we will get a chance to find out.

IMHO, that would make the sprint or Vzw iPhone even more valuable than any regular software unlocked phone. The ability to be on Verizon, or AT&T. Man, that sounds pretty sweet.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut

Well then the last time I posted that exact same scenario in a thread I was Misinformed. The person who answer my question(I wasn't the OP) told me that no Vzw 4S could ever work on domestic GSM. to which I responded that I've seen it work, at least roam on AT&T with the other sim. Thanks for clearing that up, maybe we will get a chance to find out.

IMHO, that would make the sprint or Vzw iPhone even more valuable than any regular software unlocked phone. The ability to be on Verizon, or AT&T. Man, that sounds pretty sweet.

Jailbreaking to unlock it isn't as valuable as a factory unlock.

The Verizon iPhone cannot be used on AT&T or T-Mobile without a jailbreak and unlock, both of which do not currently exist. Roaming on them with a foreign SIM is totally different. It's fine to test if you're about to go to Europe or something to make sure it works, but it's not really useful for anything.

flak0x

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2011
An unlock its not just a simple JB tweak as you suggested above.
Without an unlock you cannot get another carriers data apn settings to work on a locked iphone. Neither voice, text messages or Edge data.
Takes tons of work, time and coding.
It would be great if things were as easy though.
And a JB tweak would never make something like that "stick forever" since its a software hack and will go away the minute someone updates or restores the iphone.
I wont go any further explaining but you need to research a learn more about the topic before you post any more assumptions.

You misunderstood what I wrote. I know all of this crap, what I said was that when you put in a T-Mob SIM, it gives you a EDGE connection for a few mins (stated by MuscleNerd himself and I personally have confirmed this). This is not a bug, glitch, or anything. Apple allows a temp EDGE connection for every locked 4S. Google it. There could be a tweak that changes this and possibly allow EDGE (this is not on the baseband, this is soft-based) at the LEAST. That's what I meant by forever. Obviously an unlock is not something that is easily done, never said it was.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
You misunderstood what I wrote. I know all of this crap, what I said was that when you put in a T-Mob SIM, it gives you a EDGE connection for a few mins (stated by MuscleNerd himself and I personally have confirmed this). This is not a bug, glitch, or anything. Apple allows a temp EDGE connection for every locked 4S. Google it. There could be a tweak that changes this and possibly allow EDGE (this is not on the baseband, this is soft-based) at the LEAST. That's what I meant by forever. Obviously an unlock is not something that is easily done, never said it was.

There could be a hack/unlock but it will never be a forever type of thing.
It will need to be installed on a JB iphone and once restored or updated will be gone.

Vic3261

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2013
Yes u can unlocked but u need a hardware unlock I'm using a veriZon iPhone 4S right joe with tmobile I used the GPP sim u can buy it on eBay

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.