Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaMaster14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Well, I know this is an apple forum, but there has to be SOME BlackBerry love. Maybe some BB users with Macs, iPods and/or iPads like myself?

Please, DO NOT use this as a flaming thread... if you don't have a BB, DON'T POST...

I'll start it off. Wallpaper picture taken with my Bold 9930 ;)

Capture18_38_29.jpg

Capture18_38_24.jpg

And some older screenshots:

Capture7_31_38.jpg

utf-8BQ2FwdHVyZTBfMjFfMjYuanBn.jpg

utf-8BQ2FwdHVyZTFfNDdfMTUuanBn.jpg

utf-8BQ2FwdHVyZTFfNDdfNTEuanBn.jpg

utf-8BQ2FwdHVyZTFfNDhfMTMuanBn.jpg

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
people still use blackberrys? :confused:

:p

couldn't help noticed that you've stayed at the grand wailea in maui; what did you think? I went twice and stayed at the villas across the street... amazing place!!! (loved the golf on maui too!)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Oh wow I didn't know bb's had widgets. is this something new? They don't look so bad.

SaMaster14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, I've been staying at the Grand Wailea every year since I was young. Been going to Maui pretty much my whole life (I'm only 18 though). The villas are awesome, we've had family and friends stay at the Ho'olei and the other villas next door. We are in the napua rooms at the hotel, just my parents and I. Love it here. ;)

And yes, there are many apps that allow for homescreen widgets on Blackberry. The one I'm using is called Fancy Widgets.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
people still use blackberrys? :confused:

Blackberries are actually really really amazing and stellar devices. The issues is that nobody bothers to support them and make apps for them. I would get a Bold 9930 but because it lacks major support (Facebook app hasn't had an update in years, for example), I'm just not getting one. Probably the best phone for e-mail and communication though.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Blackberries are actually really really amazing and stellar devices. The issues is that nobody bothers to support them and make apps for them. I would get a Bold 9930 but because it lacks major support (Facebook app hasn't had an update in years, for example), I'm just not getting one. Probably the best phone for e-mail and communication though.

Cant comment on the higher end blackberrys but I had a Bold (cant remember the model - I know its now about 2 years old) and hated it. You can tell that its a very old OS that's been patched like crazy to bring it up to date.

I've also had a small amount of development work on it and couldn't stand it - horrible devices to work with.

They are fantastic at email, but as a personal / non-work phone they may as well be a Nokia 3310.

(Note - I'm not taking anything away from people who like them here - just giving an experience of one of the lower end models, I paid about £150 for it IIRC)

Personally I'd like to see RIM start over with a new OS, instead of trying to bring the old one up to modern day requirements. It just feels like Symbian when using it, and its unnecessary.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
They are fantastic at email, but as a personal / non-work phone they may as well be a Nokia 3310.

It depends on the use, as always. If your non-work point of view relies on gaming, then I agree. But I find BBs to be great to stay updated, email, news and social medias wide. BBM is great, and having a physical keyboard makes the difference.

/Off topic

How did you take the screenshots? Also, are you on OS 7, or is that just a theme? :)

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Personally I'd like to see RIM start over with a new OS, instead of trying to bring the old one up to modern day requirements. It just feels like Symbian when using it, and its unnecessary.

BB10, the new QNX-based OS that no one knows much about, is supposed to be rewritten from the ground up.

It depends on the use, as always. If your non-work point of view relies on gaming, then I agree. But I find BBs to be great to stay updated, email, news and social medias wide. BBM is great, and having a physical keyboard makes the difference.

I'm a heavy texter/e-mailer/IMer, but I also need my app support, better internet browsing, and a good camera. If the BB had all of that I'd get one.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I'm a heavy texter/e-mailer/IMer, but I also need my app support, better internet browsing, and a good camera. If the BB had all of that I'd get one.

That's too vague.
Applications are not even close in quantity to iOS' App Store's, but support is not an issue for the existing ones. As for internet browsing, that too is ok, even though it depends on the OS. And finally, 5 MP camera is not bad actually.
I'd suggest you to try a BB out. As I stated, the physical keyboard is a must if you type a lot!
But again, this is off topic. There must be other threads where Apple fans can show their closed minds. :)

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
That's too vague.
Applications are not even close in quantity to iOS' App Store's, but support is not an issue for the existing ones. As for internet browsing, that too is ok, even though it depends on the OS. And finally, 5 MP camera is not bad actually.
I'd suggest you to try a BB out. As I stated, the physical keyboard is a must if you type a lot!
But again, this is off topic. There must be other threads where Apple fans can show their closed minds. :)

The app quality on the BB is terrible though. The Facebook App and the twitter app are so horrid. The Bold 9930 just isn't built to take advantage of touch sites either.

SaMaster14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Screenshots guys...

But ya, I love my BB, compliments my iPad and iPod touch. It does lack apps, but that's why I have the iPad. (and games on my iPod). But the basic apps are there. Facebook 2.0 is actually decent on BB. And I honestly would miss the universal inbox and LED notification system that iOS lacks at the moment. Also would miss the amazing keyboard and ability to theme/customize without a jailbreak.

BB10, if RIM implements it correctly should be amazing. Ground up OS, running on the QNX core.

Leet Apple

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2009
Canada
How do you Take screenshots on a blackberry without the screen muncher app, My Bold 9790 is not compatible with Screen muncher

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Screenshots guys...

But ya, I love my BB, compliments my iPad and iPod touch. It does lack apps, but that's why I have the iPad. (and games on my iPod). But the basic apps are there. Facebook 2.0 is actually decent on BB. And I honestly would miss the universal inbox and LED notification system that iOS lacks at the moment. Also would miss the amazing keyboard and ability to theme/customize without a jailbreak.

BB10, if RIM implements it correctly should be amazing. Ground up OS, running on the QNX core.

I switched from a BB to an iPhone 2 years ago and I do miss the physical keyboard and LED notifications but isn't Notification Center like a universal inbox but? I actually hated how everything went to Messages on my BB. It was too messy.

SaMaster14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Message center is kinda like a universal inbox, but it's different. BB also has a notofication drop down. And I guess it's just preferences. I personally love the universal message app that has everything together.

SaMaster14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
honestly a lot of people have unlimited text messaging these days so BBM and iMessage don't really matter.

True. But BBM, for me, is a bit different. I love the status updates, profile picture, easy way to share location/pictures/videos/files, plus apps are integrated (foursquare, games (like game center), etc). iMessage is more like free texting and it gives the iPad and iPod Touch the ability to text (I LOVE this feature for my iPod and iPad... fun to connect with my iPhone friends that way).

But, Blackberry definitely still has good stuff to offer. Keyboard and LED are probably the main things, but I personally feel as though browsing and speed is up to par with iOS... only problem is the lack of apps.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
Or on a Curve 9300?

I hate my BlackBerry. As soon as possible I'll change it for anything else, Android or iOS. I don't care, as long as it's a decent smartphone as opposed to the crap RIM produces.

(Sorry for the rant :eek:)

Theres actually an app for that on the BB appstore.

Im neutral about my Blackberry, but i have to pay 35 CAD for unlimited BBM and text messages and thats it. And my BB wont even do 3G. EDGE only.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
The only thing that's keeping RIM above water is BBM.

...And now that iMessage has come out... ;)

iMessage is a nice concept, but BBM eats its lunch. Not only is BBM's message delivery more reliable, but it is far more secure than iMessage.

And, FYI, I say this with a 64GB iPhone 4S sitting next to me.

SayMilesAway

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2011
Florida
True. But BBM, for me, is a bit different. I love the status updates, profile picture, easy way to share location/pictures/videos/files, plus apps are integrated (foursquare, games (like game center), etc). iMessage is more like free texting and it gives the iPad and iPod Touch the ability to text (I LOVE this feature for my iPod and iPad... fun to connect with my iPhone friends that way).

But, Blackberry definitely still has good stuff to offer. Keyboard and LED are probably the main things, but I personally feel as though browsing and speed is up to par with iOS... only problem is the lack of apps.

Ah, okay. I didn't realize it was that involved. I have never even used a blackberry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.