Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigdee81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
This is a follow up to an earlier question I posted:

I have a Macbook Notebook and am running OS 10.6.8. I recently rearranged my office and need to connect with my two printers and external hard drives through my Airport Extreme 802.11n which I am using as a wireless router.

My printers and external hard drives are connected to the router via a powered hub.

My printers include a Brother HL 2040 and an HP Officejet 4215v.

My hard drives include a Seagate and a Western Digital. The Seagate is designated has my Time Machine and is the only one of these devices that shows up on my network. It works as it should.

The first suggestion I got was to connect my printer directly to my Airport via the USB port on the back of the Airport to see if the problem begins at the router or with the hub. The printer shows as "offline" and does not print when plugged directly into the Airport. I know I could probably research this answer and find a remedy but am currently under a great deal of deadline pressure on 2 different projects and as such am appealing to people who know more than me and can help me narrow my search for a remedy.

Any suggestions about what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit

I have a Macbook Notebook and am running OS 10.6.8. I recently rearranged my office and need to connect with my two printers and external hard drives through my Airport Extreme 802.11n which I am using as a wireless router.

My printers and external hard drives are connected to the router via a powered hub.

My hard drives include a Seagate and a Western Digital. The Seagate is designated has my Time Machine and is the only one of these devices that shows up on my network. It works as it should.

The first suggestion I got was to connect my printer directly to my Airport via the USB port on the back of the Airport to see if the problem begins at the router or with the hub. The printer shows as "offline" and does not print when plugged directly into the Airport. I know I could probably research this answer and find a remedy but am currently under a great deal of deadline pressure on 2 different projects and as such am appealing to people who know more than me and can help me narrow my search for a remedy.

Thanks in advance.

Are you using a powered USB hub? The Apple support article on this issue says that if you want to use multiple printers and hard disks you need a powered usb hub. Powered USB hubs are cheap and are easy to find (the last time I looked).

bigdee81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Are you using a powered USB hub? The Apple support article on this issue says that if you want to use multiple printers and hard disks you need a powered usb hub. Powered USB hubs are cheap and are easy to find (the last time I looked).

Thank you for your quick response. If a powered hub is one that draws power from it's own transformer/outlet thing then yes.

When I connect directly from my mac to my hub then everyone get's along fine. I can print and retrieve until the cows come home.

samh

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009

Thanks in advance.

How were the printers connected to your computer before you rearranged? Typically a USB printer requires different setup on the software side than connecting over the network. Even though your printer is connected by USB to the airport, as far as your computer is concerned this will be a network printer.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
How were the printers connected to your computer before you rearranged? Typically a USB printer requires different setup on the software side than connecting over the network. Even though your printer is connected by USB to the airport, as far as your computer is concerned this will be a network printer.

Good point. I haven't used any usb printers in a long time but whenever I add a network printer, it "just shows up" when I go looking for it in system preferences. Hopefully the OP sees their printer on the NW being shared by the AEBS when they go looking for them using add printer in system preferences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.