Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
After being given an iphone for work, I can say that google cloud services are FAR better the apples, FOR NOW.

Who knows how apple will improve it, they just re-started this thing a few months ago.

derickdub

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
VA
If you want cloud texting that bad then stop crying about the lack of it on the iPhone and switch to a different OS that allows it. Pretty simple solution if you ask me.

I don't understand these threads constantly being posted on here where an iOS user has to whine about the incapability of their iOS device. I can understand a simple "is there an app that does so and so thread", but the consistent crying and drawing out all your problems is entirely unnecessary.

I'm contemplating changing devices now due to the amount crybaby lamer iOS users this forum exposes.:rolleyes: Thank God Android is so appealing to them, I can only imagine what Android forum users go through.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I'm not seeing where mysms has really anything to do with Google cloud services.

Like a dozen others, WhatsApp, etc, it is based on the small companies servers, not google.

There an mysms application on your phone that gets access to your carriers sms and passes it through. It just seems that Apple is not allowing that local connection.

Program seems buggy, delays in messages. Has Mac app in app store for iphone and mac. But doesn't do the snyching.

So it is not part of Google's cloud services, nor would it be part of Apple's.

BearerOBadNews

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
SIRI over BT for text?

Okay, I was wondering how you handle incoming voice phone calls when the phone is elsewhere in the house...as opposed to having a need to answer every SMS.

But why not use SIRI? With your BT headset, SIRI will read to you new SMS's, and ask you to reply, and/or create SMS via SIRI with the BT headset. Works great for me in the car. One reason I upgraded to the 4S.

For me, my phone goes everywhere in the house with me, so that I can answer the cell phone, for text or voice calls...and other reminders. I can be more than 30 away from my phone. BT goes only 30 feet or so.

It is not exactly what you are looking for...having the same limits that voice calls would have via bluetooth. But if you accept not being near your phone for new voice coming in...you get the same for new text.

Just a suggestion. Apple gave you SIRI over BT...use it!

P.S. I haven't kept up, since my phone is always with me...but weren't there solutions for SMS/computer via AIM or other IM protocols in the past?

P.P.S. Is it true the mysms can't send SMS to the US even with Android? http://www.mysms.com/en/faq/faqandroid

For one text over bluetooth doesn't work well consistenly. That alone is enough of a reason for me to not use it. Siri often makes mistakes when I'm creating a message. Furthermore, that still doesn't accomplish what I'd like to do which is be able to send and receive texts via the cloud.

As for the AIM question, I recall something to that effect but that still is not the same thing. Messages still would not be in sync, meaning some messages would be on the computer and some would be on the phone. I want all my messages kept in sync so that none are missing.

Regarding your last question, it sends SMS in the US just fine on Android. I've seen it done right in front of me, that's why I was so disappointed to find out that I couldn't do it on my iphone after seeing it demonstrated by a friend right in front of me on his phone and computer.

----------

I'm not seeing where mysms has really anything to do with Google cloud services.

Like a dozen others, WhatsApp, etc, it is based on the small companies servers, not google.

There an mysms application on your phone that gets access to your carriers sms and passes it through. It just seems that Apple is not allowing that local connection.

Program seems buggy, delays in messages. Has Mac app in app store for iphone and mac. But doesn't do the snyching.

So it is not part of Google's cloud services, nor would it be part of Apple's.

It isn't a Google Cloud Service. But Google allows apps to integrate cloud functions with different areas of the phone, unlike what Apple will allow on ours. As for you saying it seems buggy, how did you arrive at that conclusion if you have't used it? And how did you come to the determination that it has delays in messages? No it isn't buggy and if the delay for the message to show up on the computer is about less than a second (not much of a delay if you ask me). I'm aware the ios versions can't sync...that's my issue. They can't sync because Apple blocks it, yet Apple has no solution of their own to accomplish this. So in the end I'm left with no capability to do it at all.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
This is one of the selling points of iOS. Your messages are protected from random app developer boobs.

Years growing up with Windows taught me that unfettered access to any and all devs is a recipe for disaster. I whole heartedly embrace a few minor feature limitations. Have yet to have to go clear viruses and malware off family or friends iPhones and iPads, its freaking great.

Obviously, the messages that you can't send are the best protected ones.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
For one text over bluetooth doesn't work well consistenly. That alone is enough of a reason for me to not use it. Siri often makes mistakes when I'm creating a message. Furthermore, that still doesn't accomplish what I'd like to do which is be able to send and receive texts via the cloud.

As for the AIM question, I recall something to that effect but that still is not the same thing. Messages still would not be in sync, meaning some messages would be on the computer and some would be on the phone. I want all my messages kept in sync so that none are missing.

Regarding your last question, it sends SMS in the US just fine on Android. I've seen it done right in front of me, that's why I was so disappointed to find out that I couldn't do it on my iphone after seeing it demonstrated by a friend right in front of me on his phone and computer.

----------

It isn't a Google Cloud Service. But Google allows apps to integrate cloud functions with different areas of the phone, unlike what Apple will allow on ours. As for you saying it seems buggy, how did you arrive at that conclusion if you have't used it? And how did you come to the determination that it has delays in messages? No it isn't buggy and if the delay for the message to show up on the computer is about less than a second (not much of a delay if you ask me). I'm aware the ios versions can't sync...that's my issue. They can't sync because Apple blocks it, yet Apple has no solution of their own to accomplish this. So in the end I'm left with no capability to do it at all.

Just trying to help out. It is basically an app/server/PC application, not really a fancy cloud service, IMO. and it can cost euros to sent messages in some cases...read the FAQ's

From negative reviews on the web of course. And the mysms.com web site (see below). This company is based in Austria.

I don't think that I would give up all the things that I like with the iPhone (iTunes, hardware, etc, etc) because I don't wish to carry the phone in my pocket inside my own home. My phone is glued to me. ;)

This is an app that is pretty new (nov-dec 2011). It took nearly 2 years for Android to get a wall street journal app. The app stores on both platforms can be unbalanced. Clearly at this time, Apple is not sharing network SMS with this app.

Well, if this one feature is very important (synching sms from the carrier, instead of mysms iPhone app), then sell the iPhone, get an android and go for it. Let us know how you enjoy it.

from mysms.com (http://www.mysms.com/en/faq/faqweb)
Why is there sometimes a delay in receiving messages?
"The cloud-to-device functionality is only supported for Android OS 2.2 and greater. If you’re using a previous version of Android, there are some things you should know.

When using mysms Web to send a text message via your network service provider, mysms has to be manually started on your Android device in order to ensure the timely sending of your texts.

There can also be a delay when sending messages when using mysms friends.

If you’re using Android 2.2 or later and the person you’re sending text to is using an Android version prior to 2.2, receipt of the text message can be delayed. If you’re getting a text message from such a contact, it should be transmitted without delay."

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Unfortunately that seems to be the only solution since Apple still has yet to understand what cloud is. They talked so much about cloud but in the end their cloud capabilities are quite limited. Like I can't even store my videos in the cloud. I can't push pages and text from computer to the phone through the cloud. I can't install apps to my phone from the cloud (initiated from computer). I can't update my phone from the cloud. Now I find out I can't even text from the cloud. What the heck is the point of them pushing all this cloud talk if all they were going to do was give me a gimped rendition of the cloud?! One of the main things that had me excited about iOS 5 was the fact that this was supposed to be the update that brought us into the cloud. Guess not. :mad: I didn't buy this phone because it could do less, I bought it because it was supposed to be able to do everything the others could and then some. As time goes on I notice more and more that it really isn't true.

And here we get to the real reason the OP came to these message boards... to show how superior Android is!

OK, that may be the cynic's view of this thread, but I'm one of those people who hates when people try to prove "my phone is great, yours is a piece of junk" because of one or two apps or features.

It's the old Chevy vs. Ford debate, and it gets tiresome quickly!

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
Just trying to help out. It is basically an app/server/PC application, not really a fancy cloud service, IMO. and it can cost euros to sent messages in some cases...read the FAQ's

From negative reviews on the web of course. And the mysms.com web site (see below). This company is based in Austria.

I don't think that I would give up all the things that I like with the iPhone (iTunes, hardware, etc, etc) because I don't wish to carry the phone in my pocket inside my own home. My phone is glued to me. ;)

This is an app that is pretty new (nov-dec 2011). It took nearly 2 years for Android to get a wall street journal app. The app stores on both platforms can be unbalanced. Clearly at this time, Apple is not sharing network SMS with this app.

Well, if this one feature is very important (synching sms from the carrier, instead of mysms iPhone app), then sell the iPhone, get an android and go for it. Let us know how you enjoy it.

from mysms.com (http://www.mysms.com/en/faq/faqweb)
Why is there sometimes a delay in receiving messages?
"The cloud-to-device functionality is only supported for Android OS 2.2 and greater. If you’re using a previous version of Android, there are some things you should know.

When using mysms Web to send a text message via your network service provider, mysms has to be manually started on your Android device in order to ensure the timely sending of your texts.

There can also be a delay when sending messages when using mysms friends.

If you’re using Android 2.2 or later and the person you’re sending text to is using an Android version prior to 2.2, receipt of the text message can be delayed. If you’re getting a text message from such a contact, it should be transmitted without delay."

With all due respect, you're attempting to address something that you really don't have any knowledge about. It isn't a app/server app, if that were the case you'd have to have both your computer and your phone on the same network for it to function. The pc app and the phone communicate with each other via the cloud, hence why the phone can be on the data network and still communicate with the computer. As for cost, it doesn't have to cost anything if you don't want it to. You can send texts via their servers or through your carrier. For people with unlimited texting, obviously it makes more sense to go through the carrier, but for people who pay per text or don't have many text messages in their plan it might be cheaper to go through their servers.

BTW, this app is not new. It's been around since 2010, not sure where you got that from, but you're definitely off on that one too.

Also, I'm not sure why you bothered pasting the FAQ that talks about needing 2.2 and having a delay with versions prior to that if texting via mysms friends...WHICH IS AN INSTANT MESSENGER. He's not talking about using the instant messaging part of the app (probably because then everyone you communicated with would have to have it).

In the future if you don't have knowledge about something, it's best you just don't address it. At this point the information you gave has either been inaccurate or irrelevant.

BearerOBadNews

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
And here we get to the real reason the OP came to these message boards... to show how superior Android is!

OK, that may be the cynic's view of this thread, but I'm one of those people who hates when people try to prove "my phone is great, yours is a piece of junk" because of one or two apps or features.

It's the old Chevy vs. Ford debate, and it gets tiresome quickly!

If that's what you got out of all this then you obviously have only been reading what you wanted to read.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
With all due respect, you're attempting to address something that you really don't have any knowledge about. It isn't a app/server app, if that were the case you'd have to have both your computer and your phone on the same network for it to function. The pc app and the phone communicate with each other via the cloud, hence why the phone can be on the data network and still communicate with the computer. As for cost, it doesn't have to cost anything if you don't want it to. You can send texts via their servers or through your carrier. For people with unlimited texting, obviously it makes more sense to go through the carrier, but for people who pay per text or don't have many text messages in their plan it might be cheaper to go through their servers.

BTW, this app is not new. It's been around since 2010, not sure where you got that from, but you're definitely off on that one too.

Also, I'm not sure why you bothered pasting the FAQ that talks about needing 2.2 and having a delay with versions prior to that if texting via mysms friends...WHICH IS AN INSTANT MESSENGER. He's not talking about using the instant messaging part of the app (probably because then everyone you communicated with would have to have it).

In the future if you don't have knowledge about something, it's best you just don't address it. At this point the information you gave has either been inaccurate or irrelevant.

Er, Cloud = servers that are land based somewhere, communicated with via internet from carrier data services or wifi. In this case, it uses servers operated or leased by the mysms company, based in Austria.

The Mac computer version (to be used with Android phone) is updated Nov 21, 2011.

For this to work, you must have the computer version (MAC or PC) installed
AND the Android version on your phone, to send text through your carrier's network, and to snych messages, as the OP wishes.

As said before, this has nothing to do with Apple's iCloud ideas being not up to par...it is just the limitations of what apple is allowing for comm between the mobile phone mysms application and the native carrier's SMS service.

So one cool feature is missing - synching - otherwise there are many ways to receive/send text from your computer.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
Er, Cloud = servers that are land based somewhere, communicated with via internet from carrier data services or wifi.
And that is exactly what it is.....

The Mac computer version (to be used with Android phone) is updated Nov 21, 2011.
Keyword there is UPDATED. An app being updated doesn't mean it is new. If you paid attention you'd notice there are reviews of this app dating back to 2010.
For this to work, you must have the computer version (MAC or PC) installed
AND the Android version on your phone, to send text through your carrier's network, and to snych messages, as the OP wishes.
And your point is what? As was stated in previously in the thread. The computer application communicates with the phone VIA THE CLOUD. The phone sends the messages out, and the phone, website, and computer app all stay in synch VIA THE CLOUD.
As said before, this has nothing to do with Apple's iCloud ideas being not up to par...it is just the limitations of what apple is allowing for comm between the mobile phone mysms application and the native carrier's SMS service.
Nobody said this had anything to do with icloud. The OP stated that it was a limitation by Apple. It seems the OP's position is that Apple limited functionality of the phone thus making it incapable of performing this function.
So one cool feature is missing - synching - otherwise there are many ways to receive/send text from your computer.
If you think the ability for it sync is the only thing that is making it fall short here you are incorrect. If not, then please inform the OP of how he can go about not only sending but also receiving his text messages from his computer. Also, don't forget it needs to come from and be delivered to his phone number. Syncing is only part of it, the base functionality is indeed absent. But since you say the only thing missing is syncing, then I'm sure you'll be able to tell the OP how to do it.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Well, if this one feature is very important (synching sms from the carrier, instead of mysms iPhone app), then sell the iPhone, get an android and go for it. Let us know how you enjoy it...

If you want cloud texting that bad then stop crying about the lack of it on the iPhone and switch to a different OS that allows it. Pretty simple solution if you ask me....

MacBookPro13";14129921 said:
Buy an Android phone then sunshine & quit complainin'.

Erm...

Lots of bad karma in this thread. Like many people who use MR, I too grow tired of 'my-Android-is-better-than-your-iPhone' trolls, but I don't think that there has been trolling here.

Let me put it another way: Suppose somebody posted a thread saying 'I have a great idea! iOS should allow third party apps to synch messages.' Would it be appropriate to tell them that if they didn't like iOS they should use another operating system? I don't think so.

Drop any mention of Android from the OP's post and one is left with an example of a lack of integration between iOS and MacOS X.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

BearerOBadNews said:
Then make your Google Voice number your main number.

No offense but that is a horrible solution. Why would I want to change my number from a number that I've used for 10 years so that I can use my computer to send a receive texts? That makes no sense. This is a capability the iphone should have. There's no reason that it shouldn't be capable of cloud text.

Actually it is a very good solution. Your old number still works. You just migrate people over. I don't think you understand how google voice works or can work.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just learn how google voice works and close this thread

jsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
Coming from Nokia and symbian, still miss where all you had to do was plug in computer and text as much as you wanted.

BearerOBadNews

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011

Actually it is a very good solution. Your old number still works. You just migrate people over. I don't think you understand how google voice works or can work.

It is you who doesn't seem to understand how google voice works. As stated before, porting over to google voice would require me to have two phone numbers. The only carrier that has GV integrated into their actual system is Sprint. I am not willing to go through having two phone numbers and have to use apps to make outgoing calls on the number I'd like. Also, in case you didn't know, Google voice does not have mms capability either.

----------

Just learn how google voice works and close this thread

Reference the above response and feel free to take your condescending attitude elsewhere.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Erm...

Lots of bad karma in this thread. Like many people who use MR, I too grow tired of 'my-Android-is-better-than-your-iPhone' trolls, but I don't think that there has been trolling here.

Let me put it another way: Suppose somebody posted a thread saying 'I have a great idea! iOS should allow third party apps to synch messages.' Would it be appropriate to tell them that if they didn't like iOS they should use another operating system? I don't think so.

Drop any mention of Android from the OP's post and one is left with an example of a lack of integration between iOS and MacOS X.

Except the OP does mention Android (a lot) while making numerous comparisons between (even old, outdated) Androids and the iPhone.

He began with a rant against Apple and the iPhone, not with a simple question asking if it was possible or if anyone knew of a workaround.

If someone starts a thread angry and heated, they should expect similar responses against them in return.

nixforfun

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2010
Fishtext

Okay so a friend of mine showed me an app on his android phone called mysms that does cloud text messaging. It was pretty cool. It allowed him to be able to read, reply, delete, and compose text messages all from the computer. The whole time whether he did it on his computer or his phone the text messages stayed in sync. Since I use my computer a lot this would be pretty convenient to not have to go get my phone every time I receive a text message. I look on the mysms site and they state that the iphone app can't do cloud texting or sync any of that because Apple doesn't allow it! Then I look in the app store for other solutions and I literally could not find one single cloud texting solution. Hell the mangy old sidekick 4g comes with cloud texting stock! If a crappy phone like the sidekick 4g is capable why can't my iphone?! This is a feature that I would find very useful and see no reason why my iphone isn't capable of doing this.
*rant off*

There is an app called fishtext which allows you to do that. Its a cheap text messaging app which you can use on your iphone and also on your computer. Its a paid app beyond some free sign up texts and works quite reliably. I regularly send text messages to the UK and India and they all deliver instantly from my configured number. There is one time authentication requried to configure your number.

The only disadvantage is- its not integrated with Apple's messages app and so you will still receive texts in normal inbox.

Not sure if this fits what you want !!

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
If that's what you got out of all this then you obviously have only been reading what you wanted to read.

Don't misunderstand me, there are features/apps on Android that I would love to have on the iPhone, and you have found one in particular that you would like to have on the iPhone.

My frustration comes from many posters on this message board who want to say their phone is superior based on one simple feature/app. If that feature/app is essential for you, great! But that in no way means it is essential for everyone and does not make my phone terrible and yours great. Yet, people try to mistakenly make this argument all the time.

And yes, I do only read those posts I think are worth my time. There is no way I could have enough time to read every single post on this site. :D

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Bluetooth Elite used to do what the OP wants - though it requires a BT with the phone.

It was a pretty good application, unfortunately the author decided to discontinue the product, he didn't think v3 would sell very well.

A shame.

BearerOBadNews

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
There is an app called fishtext which allows you to do that. Its a cheap text messaging app which you can use on your iphone and also on your computer. Its a paid app beyond some free sign up texts and works quite reliably. I regularly send text messages to the UK and India and they all deliver instantly from my configured number. There is one time authentication requried to configure your number.

The only disadvantage is- its not integrated with Apple's messages app and so you will still receive texts in normal inbox.

Not sure if this fits what you want !!

Thanks, but it's more of a workaround really. For one it requires a paid service that charges per text message (they can't actually send them via the carrier) because it requires using their server. And to receive messages, you have to set the app to a preset polling time, which means two things, lag time in receiving the text message and an impact on battery life. I guess it is better than nothing (to a degree) but it isn't really the same thing though. Thank you anyway though. It really just appears that this is a limitation set forth by Apple. My prediction is they will bring cloud text as a feature in a future ios version (though it should already be there or at least the ability for other people to implement it).

derickdub

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
VA
Erm...

His original post didn't really stir any reactions from users. At least not me. It was the continual ranting about Apple's cloud service and how Android is better. That and refusing to accept other forum users advice on alternate solutions.

It gets to the point where his ranting is just annoying, and whether or not he is trolling doesn't matter. If you have to constantly say something sucks, you should just shut up, get over it, and move on. It's sort of like those people who come to the same restaurant over and over again and say "every time I come to this restaurant there is an issue with my food". The issue isn't the food, it's the customer.

TL;DR
People hate complainers.

----------

My prediction is they will bring cloud text as a feature in a future ios version (though it should already be there or at least the ability for other people to implement it).

I doubt it. I can't see Apple themselves creating such a service due to the lack in demand, and Apple's strict app policies probably won't change anytime soon. iMessage is as good as it's going to get.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.