Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
Forgive me, but don't we get to a point where the source material will not be able to keep up with the hardware? I don't know if I want to see a random Kardashian in Super-duper high-rez plus X factor planet 9 at 216, 316, or 416 PP! or whatever is going to be available in the next five years.

Is there too much of a good thing?

When working with photos in Lightroom, the pixel count on my MBP display is like 5% of what's in the file, so yeah it'd be really nice to have those pixels.

illian

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Porsche-City, Germany
I don't understand why people are neg-ing you, because that is a good point of consideration. As awesome as a retina display on any MacBook Pro would be in of itself, who really wants to use an effectively 1440x900 screen workspace on a 15" or 17" MBP?

I was thinking the same...i don't want the screen workspace of a 13 MacBook Air on my 15/17 MacBook Pro. For me this would be step forward and two steps back.

Maybe we see this in Airs first and later with higher res in Pros?!

----------

Now do I sell my Macbook Pro Feb 2011 release (first with the Thunderbolt)? It's already had an update in between, and this one acts weird lately, some freezing, which I never had with my 2007 MBP. As I ponder this though, with how impressive the resolution is already on this current 2011 model, will retina really make that much of a difference? Also, am I gonna need my laptop that much? I use this one less and less as the months pass it seems. Man Apple, always putting pressure on me.. Sheesh

I'm in the same situation...with only one year warranty why not?
But my time as student is soon over..so do i need a notebook anymore? Perhaps it is time for a desktop and ipad combo? ;)

amitneo

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2012
Planning for a new MacBook Air

I am new to this forum.

I am planning to buy a new MacBook Air for my wife very soon. But these rumours are compelling me to wait on it. As such there is no absolute need to buy it right now, we can wait if there will be a significant change.
What do you guys suggest; will it be worth waiting for few months?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

illian

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Porsche-City, Germany
I am new to this forum.

I am planning to buy a new MacBook Air for my wife very soon. But these rumours are compelling me to wait on it. As such there is no absolute need to buy it right now, we can wait if there will be a significant change.

Thanks in advance.

Since i'm not elrond lord of rivendell, blessed with the gift of foreseight, i don't know what apple is up to and if it is worth waiting for ..sry ;)

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
I am new to this forum.

Thanks in advance.

If your wife doesn't need it now you will be better off waiting if you are going to buy a new one. Even the 2010 Air's screen resolution is great though. I'd get a refurb or used one if I were you.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
That says it all.

Another Apple-led initiative.

I see you get a lot of down votes but I can see where you are coming from. In fact it is very obvious. Sure Apple might not be the first to invent this stuff but this stuff would never be dusted off if it were not for Apple.

It is amazing how many times competitors release products just after or slightly before (knowing Apple's plans) that take rumors of Apple leaks and implement them for their own company. Think back a few years ago when the iPad 1 released. All the competitors were laughing at it calling it a big joke. A few months later they were working 25/7 trying to make their own to take some of Apple's insane profits. People still say Apple does not revolutionize things after so many examples of it. Astounding how many Apple haters are on this forum these days. It is like they all come here to see the Apple leaks so they can develop their own products over night with cheap materials and 10th classed hardware to gain a small profit. Good business skills to leach off someone who is leading the tech industry but bad moral skills. I was always told in college that work satisfaction is so much more a priority than money and will gain you greater rewards later on.

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
I see you get a lot of down votes but I can see where you are coming from. In fact it is very obvious. Sure Apple might not be the first to invent this stuff but this stuff would never be dusted off if it were not for Apple.

It is amazing how many times competitors release products just after or slightly before (knowing Apple's plans) that take rumors of Apple leaks and implement them for their own company. Think back a few years ago when the iPad 1 released. All the competitors were laughing at it calling it a big joke. A few months later they were working 25/7 trying to make their own to take some of Apple's insane profits. People still say Apple does not revolutionize things after so many examples of it. Astounding how many Apple haters are on this forum these days. It is like they all come here to see the Apple leaks so they can develop their own products over night with cheap materials and 10th classed hardware to gain a small profit. Good business skills to leach off someone who is leading the tech industry but bad moral skills. I was always told in college that work satisfaction is so much more a priority than money and will gain you greater rewards later on.

You remind me of a story I read a few months ago about upcoming displays from companies who do make them. Displays that will be in future cell phones, like the iPhone, etc. And in the comment section some Apple fanboy says, that he loves trains, and started talking about how these companies are copying/reacting to Apple. He was just so ignorant and smug, not even realizing that those screens were going to be part of the iPhone.

There were iPad devices introduced before the iPad, but you wouldn't know that if you don't follow technology news. You will only see the intense hype, all day on every channel that Apple had when they introduced the iPad. That's a luxury that other companies don't get. One of the funniest things was reading a comment of someone saying that the HP slate was a copy of the ipad. This tablet form factor was something that had been talk about for years in the PC industry before the ipad was release. I saw Gates talking about it in 2005, and in 1998 in his book. In 1998 talking about an iPad like device, not a tablet PC, but iPad like device. The technology wasn't there back then.

Now for the display. Apple doesn't make displays. If there's a rumor that Apple might get a high resolution display for the Mac, then that's because the companies who do make the displays, like Panasonic are developing them. GPUs are now more than powerful enough to handle them, it's been known that 4k resolution videos will soon come, even youtube has them. When did this rumor that Apple were going to come out with a high res sceen start? Wasn't it like a few months ago? Do you think Panasonic heard of the rumor and suddenly were able with a snap of a finger develop this screen? I've been hearing for a couple months Samsung developing a really high resolution screen, but you wouldn't know about it if you only follow Apple news. You have to use your common sense.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Truly amazing. Never in my life (which started in the first half of the last century!) have I encountered such absolute, unquestioning, unconditional, blind devotion to anything or anyone.

It's astounding!!

"Pathetic" is the word that comes to my mind . . .

:cool:

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
You remind me of a story I read a few months ago about upcoming displays from companies who do make them. Displays that will be in future cell phones, like the iPhone, etc. And in the comment section some Apple fanboy says, that he loves trains, and started talking about how these companies are copying/reacting to Apple. He was just so ignorant and smug, not even realizing that those screens were going to be part of the iPhone.

There were iPad devices introduced before the iPad, but you wouldn't know that if you don't follow technology news. You will only see the intense hype, all day on every channel that Apple had when they introduced the iPad. That's a luxury that other companies don't get. One of the funniest things was reading a comment of someone saying that the HP slate was a copy of the ipad. This tablet form factor was something that had been talk about for years in the PC industry before the ipad was release. I saw Gates talking about it in 2005, and in 1998 in his book. In 1998 talking about an iPad like device, not a tablet PC, but iPad like device. The technology wasn't there back then.

Now for the display. Apple doesn't make displays. If there's a rumor that Apple might get a high resolution display for the Mac, then that's because the companies who do make the displays, like Panasonic are developing them. GPUs are now more than powerful enough to handle them, it's been known that 4k resolution videos will soon come, even youtube has them. When did this rumor that Apple were going to come out with a high res sceen start? Wasn't it like a few months ago? Do you think Panasonic heard of the rumor and suddenly were able with a snap of a finger develop this screen? I've been hearing for a couple months Samsung developing a really high resolution screen, but you wouldn't know about it if you only follow Apple news. You have to use your common sense.

First of all, I did read your whole post. I can see where you are coming from. I don't feel like replying to every point you made but I will pick one that I thought stands out a bit. You claim that Apple rumour for high res screen leaked a few months ago? I didn't realise the iPhone4 was only a few months old. Thanks for the laugh

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
"Pathetic" is the word that comes to my mind . . .

:cool:

The push in earnest for high ppi displays - both in terms of the shortened timeframe to bring such products to market and consumer expectations about them, were driven by the success of Apple's retina display.

Apple showed us the possibilities before anyone else did, and quite frankly, there is still nothing quite like the iPhone's retina display currently on the market in terms of handheld devices.

Add to that Apple's stated (or implied) plans to bring retina display tech to the iPad (for months now) and their line of notebooks, and you've just read the roadmap for the rest of the industry, set again by Apple.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
The push in earnest for high ppi displays - both in terms of the shortened timeframe to bring such products to market and consumer expectations about them, were driven by the success of Apple's retina display.

Apple showed us the possibilities before anyone else did, and quite frankly, there is still nothing quite like the iPhone's retina display currently on the market in terms of handheld devices.

Add to that Apple's stated (or implied) plans to bring retina display tech to the iPad (for months now) and their line of notebooks, and you've just read the roadmap for the rest of the industry, set again by Apple.

Actually, there are only a few phones with high ppi displays and there were also a few phones before the iPhone 4 with high ppi displays, so that is false.

I'd agree with you if a lot of phones came out with high ppi displays after the iPhone 4, but there aren't many phones with high ppi displays.

Last edited:

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
First of all, I did read your whole post. I can see where you are coming from. I don't feel like replying to every point you made but I will pick one that I thought stands out a bit. You claim that Apple rumour for high res screen leaked a few months ago? I didn't realise the iPhone4 was only a few months old. Thanks for the laugh

Obviously I wasn't referring to the iPhone, but rather MacBook Pro, iMac, etc. The iPhone was mentioned, but as an example describing an Apple fanboy that is not aware of current technology trends, and then quickly assume that other companies are copying Apple.

johnnyinternets

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
UK

Congratulations!!

You just brought this forum down to a new level of low.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

This is a monitor - not a phone. And monitors, as I said previously in this thread have always been released with better resolutions and specs from the very beginning. This has nothing to do with Apple. Nothing.

Keep reaching, LTD.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Explain. Do you mean to say Panasonic is making these for Apple. Or that Apple is leading the way for higher res screens.

If the latter - your assertion is ridiculous. Companies have always increased resolution (among other things) with each new class of monitor. That roadmap has NOTHING to do with Apple.

Geez, so many people think and post 'Apple did nothing', no idea's, no innovating, did any Apple ever do anything good? The way some of you write you wouldn't think so.

You're all working for Samsung and Google aren't you ... I knew it!

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
Geez, so many people think and post 'Apple did nothing', no idea's, no innovating, did any Apple ever do anything good? The way some of you write you wouldn't think so.

You're all working for Samsung and Google aren't you ... I knew it!

I just don't believe Apple is leading the way anymore like it used to.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada

Congratulations!!

You just brought this forum down to a new level of low.

I just don't believe Apple is leading the way anymore like it used to.

List some examples of how Apple has lost their way. Who's out innovating them?

Augure

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2009
As long as the Air gets ivy bridge, the additional power saved the new processor can certainly power a higher resolution laptop.

But since its in Apple greedy strategy not to update when they can or even should but only when they can make more money, don't except a higher resolution on MBA

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
Hopefully they can also make a 3360x2100 15" screen (i.e. 1680x1050 doubled). I am not really interested in a 2880x1800 15" which has the same real estate as the existing MBP.

They don't have to double any existing resolution, they might go for something inbetween, like 3200x2000 (which is the wallpaper size in Lion)

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
List some examples of how Apple has lost their way. Who's out innovating them?
He's talking about leading. Innovation == improving existing ideas/concepts/products. By definition, that is not leading. That's letting someone else do the head work, and then stepping in to take that work say thank you and making it better (and in Apple's and the fanboys case, then claim it was their invention all along). Leading would be inventing and Apple does not invent.

They are however, extremely good at innovation and design. Arguably the best in the world.

realmike15

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
Super excited about Retina displays coming to computer monitors and eventually TV's. I was appreciative of the current lineup of HD products, but always felt like even the best displays were a little too pixelated. Can't get enough of that ultra crisp display :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.