Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daTrini

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2004
KingSleaze said:
Even under a new name? We've gained about 5,000 points on the team ahead of us today.

Maybe its just new participation.

I had added 1170 points to the project since the 7th, just when we lost 300000 pts. I cannot bring it all back but I am doing what I can to help us catch Sudhian Media.

(the two middle performance machines i use may go very soon so dont expect this kinda production all the time from me)

I saw that LethalWolfe had an entire thread dedicated to him/her and was hoping to have a little friendly competition between a couple new starters but alas I have tore past LethalWolfe and about to enter the top 500 on Macrumors team. About 55 places separate us, so we may still have a little scrap before any one of us establishes dominance over the other.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Thanks to those who contribute!

Those of you who are inactive, please consider helping too.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
daTrini said:
Maybe its just new participation.

I had added 1170 points to the project since the 7th, just when we lost 300000 pts. I cannot bring it all back but I am doing what I can to help us catch Sudhian Media.

(the two middle performance machines i use may go very soon so dont expect this kinda production all the time from me)

I saw that LethalWolfe had an entire thread dedicated to him/her and was hoping to have a little friendly competition between a couple new starters but alas I have tore past LethalWolfe and about to enter the top 500 on Macrumors team. About 55 places separate us, so we may still have a little scrap before any one of us establishes dominance over the other.

I had the wonderful luck of getting a bunch of Tinkers right out of the gate so most of my points have come from one machine. I think I'm Tinker free now (one machine might be crunching a Tinker right now, not sure). The coming week should be a better indication of what I can do while Tinker free. Although I don't think I'll be able to match your current output. But if you lose those two machines... ;)

Lethal

daTrini

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2004
hmm.. you may still catch up thats why i said that we never knwo what is in store. I am going to try to keep those two machine running for as long as possible though. I dont see any runnign beyond the 25th.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Chip NoVaMac said:
Anyone care to answer concerns about "longevity" of a PB while doing folding?

I don't know, but I know that I'm on frame 119 out of 400 on my first WU :)

My PB COOKED while folding, but I got a cheap chillpad from Staples for $29 which is doing a remarkably good job of keeping my temp down. I thought "who would use that stupid gadget?" when I first saw one, but now I am a true believer.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
keysersoze said:
I don't know, but I know that I'm on frame 119 out of 400 on my first WU :)

My PB COOKED while folding, but I got a cheap chillpad from Staples for $29 which is doing a remarkably good job of keeping my temp down. I thought "who would use that stupid gadget?" when I first saw one, but now I am a true believer.

I am using the iCurve for my PB, and I am running in the 120 to 130 degree range.

Just want the most lfe with my PB.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Chip NoVaMac said:
Anyone care to answer concerns about "longevity" of a PB while doing folding?

I'm still concerned about the heat with G4 laptops and Gromacs work units. Without some air circulation or cooling pad, they could be too hot and shut down. As for the long term, we need to find those with PB 550 and 667 MHz machines. I only have desktop machines. While I appreciate anyone wanting to use a laptop computer to help, I caution them about the heat.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
wowser said:
I have just started running the text console on my eMac - is it safe? Will folding killit? :confused:

It should do quite well. As always, keep it ventilated well.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
wowser said:
well, it's fan at the back is opnly about 2 inches from a wall. is this enough ventalation?

That should be sufficient as long as you don't have a pipe carrying heat through that wall. I like more of a safety net, though. ;)

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
Stumbling block!

Damn! I should have forseen this! Until October, i will have NO net access on my eMac. It has finished the work it had downloaded previously, and now can't either upload the finished work, or download a new set! Is it OK to wait till October when i regain access?

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
no, there is a time limit on those things... I it expires, you won't get a lot of credit for it. You can however email/copy the finished WU to another mac and upload it from there. And get a WU from that mac and upload to your emac. But to burn every time a cd just for folding...

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
Dreadnought said:
Is that tax deductable?!?!?! ;)

hehe - good point! When the iPod minis hit the UK I may well be in the market for one (the grren one!). When do they hit the UK, anyway? I see adverts in magazines, but no word on Amazon's site (sorry for veering the topic towards iPods :( )

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
This is good valid research, and whilst I can't dedicate my iMac, I may be able to set this up on my MBP. Will it mess things up if I suddenly need to grab my Pro and take it out for work?

Can't find anything in the FAQ about this specifically. If its ok, then I will set it up tonight.

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
This is good valid research, and whilst I can't dedicate my iMac, I may be able to set this up on my MBP. Will it mess things up if I suddenly need to grab my Pro and take it out for work?

Can't find anything in the FAQ about this specifically. If its ok, then I will set it up tonight.

Hi, I've not tried it, but it should work.

There is a 'pause on battery' option that will do what it says and prevent you draining your battery in 30 minutes.

As long as you connect to power to let it complete and submit results before the deadline (typically 4 days) then you should be OK.

Good to have you onboard!

praetorx

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
We could use a boost in our folding@home output.

Many of you have contributed at one time, but have gone inactive because of the demands on your machines. Please consider adding at least one of your machines to do one work unit a month each.

We could use more regular folders, of course, but this would be an extra boost to shore up the team. I know that many of you are happy to devote time to MacRumors and would probably feel that this is not the huge drain that doing folding@home regularly causes.

To lessen the frustration factor--"When is this !@#$ thing gonna finish?"--it would probably be best to ask this of people with 700 MHz or faster machines.

Please consider helping. We need you.

I've been folding 24/7 for about a month and racked up about 200.000 pts. Will continue folding at night only to keep electricity costs down.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

as someone has already stated, you should be fine. if in doubt, you can always stop folding for when you need to, and start it again when you can.

let us know if you need help. and thanks for joining!

I've been folding 24/7 for about a month and racked up about 200.000 pts. Will continue folding at night only to keep electricity costs down.

i can't blame you there. sometimes it can have a huge effect on the power bill

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.