Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aznjonny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
California
Is it possible to activate Find my iPhone without an iCloud account? I have a 4S on 5.0.1 but iCloud is causing massive battery drain and excessive data usage on T-Mobile. I've tested for a few days after deleting my iCloud account off my phone and the battery life is much better.

Is there any way to have Find my iPhone activated without iCloud? I really have no use for iCloud except for Find my iPhone.

AlPlPlLE

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
Is it possible to activate Find my iPhone without an iCloud account? I have a 4S on 5.0.1 but iCloud is causing massive battery drain and excessive data usage on T-Mobile. I've tested for a few days after deleting my iCloud account off my phone and the battery life is much better.

Is there any way to have Find my iPhone activated without iCloud? I really have no use for iCloud except for Find my iPhone.

Well the culprit to your battery and data usage probably is not iCloud. iCloud requires wifi which does not use 3G data which doesn't rack up your usage. As for iCloud using the battery even when on wifi, just go to Settings > Mail,Contacts,Calenders > Fetch New Data. You need to then select "Manually". Hope this solves your issue or helps in some way. :D

aznjonny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
California
Nah, I just deleted the entire iCloud account off my phone. I really have no use for it since I use google/Microsoft Exchange for my email, calendars, and contacts. I'm just wondering if there's a way to use Find my iPhone without having the iCloud account.

I did try turning everything off in the iCloud menu except Find my iPhone, but the battery life wasn't that much better :(

clark85

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2011
Nah, I just deleted the entire iCloud account off my phone. I really have no use for it since I use google/Microsoft Exchange for my email, calendars, and contacts. I'm just wondering if there's a way to use Find my iPhone without having the iCloud account.

I did try turning everything off in the iCloud menu except Find my iPhone, but the battery life wasn't that much better :(

Unfortunately it does not work anymore without iCloud. I tried and wasn't able to acomplish it, but that might have been my personal failure as well.

thunderbunny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Cheshire, UK
Well the culprit to your battery and data usage probably is not iCloud. iCloud requires wifi which does not use 3G data which doesn't rack up your usage. As for iCloud using the battery even when on wifi, just go to Settings > Mail,Contacts,Calenders > Fetch New Data. You need to then select "Manually". Hope this solves your issue or helps in some way. :D

Errr, iCloud does use 3G (other than photostream which is wi-fi only). Shouldn't use much data at all if it's working properly. Try restoring iOS

aznjonny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
California
I already restored, but there were still jumps in data usage. There were a couple megabytes used at 3am for example. Why would my phone use cellular data when I'm at home with wifi?! After searching aroun various forums, it seems there is some kind of data glitch.

AlPlPlLE

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
Errr, iCloud does use 3G (other than photostream which is wi-fi only). Shouldn't use much data at all if it's working properly. Try restoring iOS

Opps! Completely right and thank for correcting me. Just looked at my wording, didn't mean required wifi in the original post. Meant to word it as if you don't want to use the 3G, then wifi for iCloud will stop that.

My bad. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.