Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronene1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Hello,
I have Iphone 3gs, with IOS 5.01,
BUT - I also have modem 05.16.05.

I moved to other country where I can't use AT&T anymore, I spoke with them and offered them money for unlocking my Iphone, unfortunately they don't provide this kind of service, therefore I stuck with great iphone that can't use SIM card...

Can you please provide me a solution?
I understood I can hack the modem but then I'll ruin my GPS :(
Any suggestion?

Thanks!

ronene1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Why not sell it and buy an unlocked iPhone?

Because where I am right now I can get $100 for this phone. Any other phone will cost me at least 5 times more.

AND - nobody will buy this locked iphone :(

scottieprior

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2012
If you are using higher than the 5.13 baseband, then you will have the 6.15 update to the iPad use the redsn0w. If you want to jailbreak an unrestricted, then you will really is 4.3.3 or earlier. 4.1 is still signed, so you can not any problems.Once escape to the installation and correct baseband downgrade, and then you only need to use Cydia and download ultrasnow unlock.

normanbates

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2011
Everyone that is having this problem :-

Are you on contract that has expired? Or Pay & Go?

If the contract is up then you are entitled to have your phone unlocked, your carrier cannot restrict this.

If you're on Pay & Go you will need to check to see if you meet the requirements to having your handset unlocked to all carriers. Again if you do then your carrier cannot restrict which network you use it on anymore.

iOS devices do not unlock in the same way that phones such as Nokia etc etc.

The carriers have to send a request to Apple, who then change a value on their iPhone database. What happens then is your network advises you when Apple have informed them this has been done. You then plug it into iTunes with a SIM card of a different provider and select 'Restore' it will then download and install the latest iOS available to that device and proceed with the unlock. It will take a little while longer than a normal update but after that it will be fine.

Remember to do a backup of your handset BEFORE you click the restore button. However if you're going from 4.x.x to 5.0.1 it will not restore from a backup at a later stage as they are not compatible so backup your contacts to something like Outlook or another compatible program

Check your country's laws on SIM carrier locking if your carriers still refuse to contact Apple, failing that see if Apple will do it direct for you.

Just checked the oracle that is Wikipedia and in the US AT&T have stated that they will refuse to unlock any iPhone regardless of whether your contract has ended or not. My understanding of how contracts work is that during the contract period you are paying for the handset in addition to the airtime, thus by the end of the term you have paid for the handset in full (at least what they paid for it). By definition of ownership they surely have no legal power to be able to dictate what network it is used on and if you wish to remove their personalistion of YOUR then you should be allowed.

As I have said above if they still refuse you should contact Apple and demand that your iPhone is unlocked to access which ever network you want as effectively you have paid the price of the device had it originally been 'generic'

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.