Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
I was wondering if there's a way to add ringtones using a program like iexplorer without having to sync them in itunes. I can't just sync ringtones alone without syncing music and videos (which I've always found to be a bit annoying), so I was looking for a workaround.

Any suggestions?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Can't you buy it directly on the iPhone - that should install it and not need to sync it, or am I incorrect

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
You are correct, but I also recommend setting up the iPhone to be Manually Managed (because then all you have to do is drag and drop without syncing).

Managing content manually on iPhone, iPad, and iPod
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1535

I was aware that ringtones can be purchased and downloaded right from the iphone, but the thought of buying one seems a bit crazy to me since they're so easy to make and readily available online.

I do have my iphone set up to be manually managed, but for some reason, the ringtones I dragged over to it didn't show up on actual phone so I thought it had to be synced. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Ah, I do see now how to do it ...... thanks.

Last edited:

dtbratt

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2011
Amherstburg, ON
I want to manually manage my iPhone but when I click apply it wants me to erase my iphone.

I have a few ringtones id like to add but cannot without itunes having to erase my content?

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
If you buy them you can. But they will sound just as bad as custom tones do. There is a bug with 5.XXX on this.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
I want to manually manage my iPhone but when I click apply it wants me to erase my iphone.

I have a few ringtones id like to add but cannot without itunes having to erase my content?

There's a trick to this. You say ok and then unplug your phone before iTunes has a chance to remove all your apps. You have to be fast but it tricks iTunes into thinking it worked and all your stuff stays on your phone and you are now in manual mode.

Edit: Also make sure you have WiFi sync turned off for this. That could be messy.

vdubbeet

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2012
Newbie here-trying to transfer previous Android

ringtones which are now in iTunes under music to become iPhone 4s ringtones. I'm completely lost. Any help would be much appreciated.

cdfegab

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2013
There's a trick to this. You say ok and then unplug your phone before iTunes has a chance to remove all your apps. You have to be fast but it tricks iTunes into thinking it worked and all your stuff stays on your phone and you are now in manual mode.

Edit: Also make sure you have WiFi sync turned off for this. That could be messy.

OMG i registered just to thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

meriel

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2015

:) Just registered a new account on this forum to Thank you as well!, you Sir... tha' best!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

What content is it wanting to erase? If you mean your albums, yes it will unless they are purchased or residing on your itunes computer.

aaroman

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
AL
Win!

Took me 3 tries to get the timing right; first time was about 1/10th second after I hit the Erase button, second about 1/4 second, third about 1/2 second. Each time I sat there staring at my screen, half expecting apps to start disappearing off it as the phone erased itself... but nope. After the 3rd try, when I plugged it back into iTunes, the Manual button had stuck, and I was able to transfer my ringtone!
Thanks for this tip!

mauro_roldan

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2015

THREE YEARS AND THAT TRICK STILL WORKS! Thank you so much for sharing that trick it was the only way to make it work. And thanks to @aaroman for his tip, I waited 1/2 second (like you did on your third try) and it worked on the first try.

ps: I also just registered so I can personally thank you.

pisczum

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2017
I was aware that ringtones can be purchased and downloaded right from the iphone, but the thought of buying one seems a bit crazy to me since they're so easy to make and readily available online.

I do have my iphone set up to be manually managed, but for some reason, the ringtones I dragged over to it didn't show up on actual phone so I thought it had to be synced. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Ah, I do see now how to do it ...... thanks.

please share what you figured out, I'm having the same problem
[doublepost=1504097063][/doublepost]please share I'm having the same problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.