Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmreyes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Hi,

As stated in the title, what unlocking options do I have for an iPhone 4 running iOS 5.0.1 with the 4.11.08 baseband?

If it isn't unlockable, what's the latest unlockable iOS and baseband combination I can use to unlock this device?

Is it possible to downgrade the baseband?

Thanks to anyone who can help out.

:)

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Hi,

As stated in the title, what unlocking options do I have for an iPhone 4 running iOS 5.0.1 with the 4.11.08 baseband?

If it isn't unlockable, what's the latest unlockable iOS and baseband combination I can use to unlock this device?

Is it possible to downgrade the baseband?

Thanks to anyone who can help out.

:)

With the information you provide, there is no option for you to unlock this phone. So, enjoy your ipod touch for now.

1. Ultrasn0w works on Iphone 4 with 01.59 baseband. Yours is 04.11 and therefore, it does not work.
2. Gevey sim only work on Iphone with baseband of 04.10 or lower. Yours is 04.11 and therefore, it does not work.
3. Iphones's baseband can't downgrade (Period), except small quantity of 3G phone with 05.08 bootloader.

jmreyes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2010
With the information you provide, there is no option for you to unlock this phone. So, enjoy your ipod touch for now.

1. Ultrasn0w works on Iphone 4 with 01.59 baseband. Yours is 04.11 and therefore, it does not work.
2. Gevey sim only work on Iphone with baseband of 04.10 or lower. Yours is 04.11 and therefore, it does not work.
3. Iphones's baseband can't downgrade (Period), except small quantity of 3G phone with 05.08 bootloader.

Too bad... Anyway, thanks for the info!

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Zero options now and most likely forever. So your only option is to sell it and buy a factory unlocked device.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
How are you so sure that an unlock will never come out?

Simple, common sense. Both the software unlock was developed when unlocked phones were rare, particularly in the US, and getting them unlocked was impossible. Now there are factory unlocked phones on multiple carriers for people who really need them. Why would the Dev Team devote scarce resources, i.e., people, to look for exploits in the newer basebands when they are having increasing trouble finding iOS exploits? But feel free to wait for a software unlock.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
How are you so sure that an unlock will never come out?

How are you sure that an unlock will come out? It has been a long time since the dev release an unlock for iPhone 4 and it's not as easy to unlock than to JB.

djmac7

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2010
So I tried jailbreaking my 04.11.08 Iphone 4 with redsnow 0.9.10.b3 and was able to it to install cydia, but when i try to install tetherMe i get the error message "subprocess extra-installation script killed by signal (Abort trap). So i am guessing the jailbreak was a failure? What exactly does this mean?

thanks

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
So I tried jailbreaking my 04.11.08 Iphone 4 with redsnow 0.9.10.b3 and was able to it to install cydia, but when i try to install tetherMe i get the error message "subprocess extra-installation script killed by signal (Abort trap). So i am guessing the jailbreak was a failure? What exactly does this mean?

thanks

No, the JB wasnt failed or has nothing to do with a cydia package not installing right.
Are you installing the legit Tetherme package for 5.0.1 or any other older or hacked version?
Stick with the official tetherme from its proper repo. It installed fine on my i4 on 5.0.1

djmac7

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2010
No, the JB wasnt failed or has nothing to do with a cydia package not installing right.
Are you installing the legit Tetherme package for 5.0.1 or any other older or hacked version?
Stick with the official tetherme from its proper repo. It installed fine on my i4 on 5.0.1

thanks. are you also on 4.11.08 or some other baseband. Also, how do i find the proper version?

djmac7

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2010

I must have assume it did'nt work the first time. I went back to settings and TetherMe was right there, which I edited to fix my mms. My question now is why did it work for me and not others. Everyone is saying there is not jailbreak for the 4.08.11 baseband. Still I'm not complaining.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I must have assume it did'nt work the first time. I went back to settings and TetherMe was right there, which I edited to fix my mms. My question now is why did it work for me and not others. Everyone is saying there is not jailbreak for the 4.08.11 baseband. Still I'm not complaining.
Thanks.

The baseband version has nothing to do with the jailbreak.
Bb has to do with unlocking. 2 different things.

Mr. Blonde

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2012
I have been waiting since October and it's looking like there won't be any unlocks until a different firmware version comes out.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
I have been waiting since October and it's looking like there won't be any unlocks until a different firmware version comes out.

My recommendation is to sell your phone, put money toward buying a factory unlocked phone. There are lot of people waiting and waiting long before you. Last software unlocked on Iphone 4 baseband 01.59 was more than 1 year ago.

Mademan

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
Option

I have the same problem, mine is locked to at&t. But I am using H2O wireless which runs on At&t's network, might want to check into it if u are on AT&T network. $60 a month unlimited talk & text with 1 gb data a month. It is not a lot of data but it works until a unlock option is available.

djmac7

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2010
I am using Straight Talk, which is also on at&t. so i was only successful in jailbreaking my 4.11.08 Ip4. All i wanted was the ability to enable MMS. I think its a good deal for $45. I use just about 2GB of data every month.

tebiet

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2012
I am using Straight Talk, which is also on at&t. so i was only successful in jailbreaking my 4.11.08 Ip4. All i wanted was the ability to enable MMS. I think its a good deal for $45. I use just about 2GB of data every month.

Could you tell us about the data download and upload speed?

tomekzski

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2012
I need help!!!!

ok so i use simple mobile and got the iphone 4 ios 5.0.1 baseband 04.11.08 or w.e i switch over to h2o and it always says no service. i put it to a regular at&t phone and it works. can anyone help? i know its an at&t iphone because it ends in LL for the model number....if anyone can email about the info as soon as possible thatd be awesome. im a cellular dealer and i cant even find the answer. thanks!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
ok so i use simple mobile and got the iphone 4 ios 5.0.1 baseband 04.11.08 or w.e i switch over to h2o and it always says no service. i put it to a regular at&t phone and it works. can anyone help? i know its an at&t iphone because it ends in LL for the model number....if anyone can email about the info as soon as possible thatd be awesome. im a cellular dealer and i cant even find the answer. thanks!

Maybe the h2o sim is locked to a specific cellphone only?

asidhu

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
jailbroken iphone4 unlock baseband 04.11.08

hey guys i recently purchased a jail broken iPhone 4 ios 5.0.1. Its base band is 04.11.08. The phone is locked with candian carrier FIDO and i need to use it in India with airtel or bsnl. Any idea how do i unlock the baseband? please help

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
hey guys i recently purchased a jail broken iPhone 4 ios 5.0.1. Its base band is 04.11.08. The phone is locked with candian carrier FIDO and i need to use it in India with airtel or bsnl. Any idea how do i unlock the baseband? please help

You cannot unlock it.
There's nothing available that will unlock that baeband at the moment.

eleven7

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
Japan
Where's the best place to keep an eye on updates about an unlock for 4.11.08?
Are any reliable devs officially working on one that I can follow on twitter or something?

b0bab0i

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
Where's the best place to keep an eye on updates about an unlock for 4.11.08?
Are any reliable devs officially working on one that I can follow on twitter or something?

If its released, it will most likely be on the front page of macrumors and every other iOS/apple blog. It will be big news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.