Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

white_ipad_2_oblique.jpg

Bloomberg briefly reports that Apple's manufacturing partners have indeed begun on production of the iPad 3, with a ramp-up to full capacity taking place by February ahead of a March launch for the device. The report corroborates circulating rumors that the iPad will offer a quad-core processor and sport a high-resolution "Retina" display. The iPad 3 is also said to offer 4G LTE support for faster data connectivity on the go.
Apple Inc. (AAPL)'s next iPad tablet, due in March, will sport a high-definition screen, run a faster processor and work with long-term evolution wireless networks, according to three people familiar with the product. [...]

The tablet will use a quad-core chip, an enhancement that lets users more quickly jump between applications, two of the people said.
Japanese blog Mac Otakara reported nearly identical information earlier this week.

Rumors have been split on whether the iPad 3 will be slightly thicker, thinner, or the same form factor as the iPad 2, with those rumors apparently depending on whether Apple has been able to adopt Sharp's IGZO technology that would allow for a thinner display. While some sources have indicated that Sharp's displays are making the cut for the iPad 3, others have claimed that Sharp failed to win approval from Apple and that a slightly thicker form factor may be required to accommodate a dual light bar design to support the high-resolution IPS display from Samsung and LG.

Update: Bloomberg has now updated its article with additional information on the new features:
Apple is bringing LTE to the iPad before the iPhone because the tablet has a bigger battery and can better support the power requirements of the newer technology, said one of the people.

The new display is capable of greater resolution than the current iPad, with more pixels on its screen than some high- definition televisions, the person said. The pixels are small enough to make the images look like printed material, according to the person. Videos begin playing almost instantly because of the additional graphics processing, the person said.
Sources note that Foxconn's factories will be running 24 hours a day to produce the iPad 3, with a break later this month for the Lunar New Year holiday being followed by an acceleration to full capacity in February.

Article Link: iPad 3 with LTE, Quad-Core Processor and Retina Display Set for March Launch

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Glad to hear that the processor is being updated.
And I don't really care if it turns out to be slightly thinner or thicker.

superfula

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2002
It does sound pretty nice. Perhaps too nice? Who knows. Regardless of the specs, I'll be buying the 3 for my first iPad.

Play442

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
Stuck!!

Ive just got the funds for an ipad 2.. do i buy now or wait..will it be March?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Quad core would suggest a tegra 3 like design. If it is 32nm, they are still with Samsung, but if it is 28nm, that suggests TSMC. A15 is very unlikely if it is indeed quad core. I'm interested to see if they implemented heterogenous multiprocessing like tegra 3 did. They may also go to 543MP4 with the die shrink.

alm99

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
I'm in. I don't care about the cellular connection. If it has quad-core and retina display, take my money.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Now that's what I'm talking about ... the rest is cool but I just want to see an iPad Retina display

superfula

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2002
I'm willing to bet quite a lot that it won't have LTE.

I don't know. There are going to be a slew of LTE tablets appearing shortly. Given Apple's penchant for annual releases, I wouldn't be surprised if they jump to the front. If Verizon is to be believed, it'll need LTE to work on their network. Course this isn't Samsung or Asus so the norm doesn't apply.

ts1973

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2002
Belgium
Not buying the quad core rumor. The A15 SoC is just not ready (promised for early 2013), and Apple will not completely switch to Tegra after all the work they put in the A4/A5 chips.

Not going to happen people.

DotComCTO

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
I've been saying to my friends for some months that the iPad 3 will have the roughly the same form factor and battery life as the iPad 2; however, it will have a quad-core CPU, better cameras and a retina display. As for LTE, I think it is still too power hungry and Apple will not compromise and put that into their product until they can get a low-power LTE chipset.

That being said, I'm starting to cave a little on the quad-core CPU. I think Apple could release an iPad 2S with just the retina display and better cameras and get away with that for one more year. We shall see soon enough.

:cool:

--DotComCTO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.