Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnmlist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Columbus, Ohio
Well, I had that nightmare moment at about 2 am this morning. I accidentally washed my year old Verizon iPhone. To say I'm sick about it would be an understatement. Luckily, when my wife and I purchased our phones last winter, she insisted on insurance.

During my lunch break, I filed my claim online for a replacement and I'm hoping to have it in hand tomorrow. Man, oh, man am I just sick over this.

I have a couple of questions though:

• Will I be getting a new iPhone 4 16 gb (black) or a refurbished?
  • Is there a chance that they will send me a white 16 gb 4?
  • Has anyone gone through this proces with Asurion and were you pleased with the process and are you happy with your replacement?

:apple:

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Well, I had that nightmare moment at about 2 am this morning. I accidentally washed my year old Verizon iPhone. To say I'm sick about it would be an understatement. Luckily, when my wife and I purchased our phones last winter, she insisted on insurance.

During my lunch break, I filed my claim online for a replacement and I'm hoping to have it in hand tomorrow. Man, oh, man am I just sick over this.

I have a couple of questions though:

• Will I be getting a new iPhone 4 16 gb (black) or a refurbished?
  • Is there a chance that they will send me a white 16 gb 4?
  • Has anyone gone through this proces with Asurion and were you pleased with the process and are you happy with your replacement?

:apple:

You will get a refurb (but basically NEW)

You will get whatever color you had previously (black i'm assuming)

I used them once a few years ago, it was a good experience...

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
You will get a refurb (but basically NEW)

There's no guarantee of that. Asurion isn't Apple, and they don't do the same remanufacture process that Apple does.

This isn't to say the OP won't get a flawless replacement. But I wouldn't hold my breath over it.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
There's no guarantee of that. Asurion isn't Apple, and they don't do the same remanufacture process that Apple does.

This isn't to say the OP won't get a flawless replacement. But I wouldn't hold my breath over it.

Ah, didn't realize... OP if you get a NEW device sealed you'll have to let us know.

NEW > Refurb

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
1. You will get a refurb.

2. I'm pretty sure it will have been refurb'd by Asurion, not Apple.

3. No, you will not get a white one.

4. If you do this two (or 3?) times, your Asurion insurance will be cancelled.

5. You will likely get a refurb with some hidden flaw. You have a very limited time to discover the hidden flaw. Good luck!

6. Fortunately, you can usually convince a Verizon store manager to replace the bad refurb. The store managers are well-aware of how badly Asurion sucks.

7. I've never had a good experience with Asurion.

I had Verizon/Asurion before I got i iPhone. That's been a while. However, recent experiences of friends suggest nothing has changed.

Faideelah

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2011
Even though they claim "next business day" replacement, that is only AFTER your claim is approved. It has to go through processing which takes 1-2 days assuming you didn't forget anything they asked. I went through the process last week and even though I uploaded everything, they said I was missing something. At the end, I was phoneless for about a week(received replacement Tuesday)

mnmlist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Columbus, Ohio
I already have a UPS shipping number so that bodes well, I guess.

I did call back and ask them if it was a new or refurbished phone. They did confirm it is a refurb (figured) and I inquired about getting a new one, he said that it was possbile to do so, if I got the phone and wasn't happy with it. I could have a new one sent.

I wish they would just send a new one to begin with, but I understand why they don't.

HKUSP.40

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
I received a letter from Asurion yesterday stating the fees and deductable had been lowered about in half.

And those new prices would be?.........:confused:

That's the main reason I dropped Asurion. The $169 deductible was ridiculous compared to AppleCare+'s $50 deductible.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
That's the main reason I dropped Asurion. The $169 deductible was ridiculous compared to AppleCare+'s $50 deductible.

The good thing about Asurion is that it covers loss/theft. Outside of that, AppleCare+ all the way. Apple knows it, it's why they offer it. Another way for them to cash in. ;)

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Asurion replacements

Have had several Asurion replacement phones over last 3-4 years, both on family plan Blackberries on Verizon and then an iPhone on AT&T. All replacement phones received were new, not refurbs. I really think it all depends upon what they have in stock when you file your claim. When I dealt with them through Verizon, it was a quick and painless process whether dealing with damage or loss. Last April, I had my AT&T iPhone stolen on a Friday night and started to attempt to file the claim first thing Saturday morning. It was a hellish process - much time spent online and on phone with clueless weekend CS agents trying to get affidavit reports sent/downloaded which I then had to fill out and have notarized before faxing back to them. I had everything done and faxed back by Saturday afternoon but didn't receive the replacement phone until Wednesday afternoon! It was new in original sealed Apple box, albeit with a very yellow-tinted screen. Seriously, I think I spent about 12 hours on the phone with them by the time all was said and done. All this pain and torture for $12.00/month charge and $199 deductible! And yet it would have cost $700 to replace the phone without insurance so I can't afford NOT to have the insurance. AT&T has since replaced this plan with a cheaper plan billed through AT&T. I'm not sure if it's still Asurion coverage - I hope not! My problem with Apple Care+ is that it doesn't cover lost or stolen phones.

MaKidzOnYaLip

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I think asurion is pretty quick with claims, last week I lost my iPhone 4 and filed a claim and I got a new in box iPhone 4S... I gotta admit I got a Lil excited I got a 4S now

mnmlist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Columbus, Ohio
Okay, just got my replacement from Asurion and it is indeed a refurb.

I've been reading on-line that I can take this to a local Verizon Wireless store and explain the situation and they will exchange this refurb for a new one?

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Wow - that was very quick turnaround! I seriously doubt that Verizon will swap it out - why would you expect them to get involved with your insurance claim?:( This phone was insured through Asurion, a separate entity. I have heard, though, that if you can find a verifiable issue/flaw with the refurb replacement phone they've sent, Asurion will often replace the refurb with a new unit the second go-round.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

I've been reading on-line that I can take this to a local Verizon Wireless store and explain the situation and they will exchange this refurb for a new one?

May I ask what you are worried about? is there something wrong with it? I just don't understand why so many people have an aversion to refurbs.

jkeith0919

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
May I ask what you are worried about? is there something wrong with it? I just don't understand why so many people have an aversion to refurbs.

I bought a refurb 4 & it is perfect! I was wary at first but didn't have the $ to buy new. There is not one thing about my iPhone that reminds me of its refurb status.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
lol you can doubt all you want but i have a 4S now... i was shocked myself :p

You're not being honest.

As stated by someone else... why would you expect verizon to give you a new phone? Do you feel that you're entitled to a new phone because you ran your year-old phone through the wash?

I bought a refurb 4 & it is perfect! I was wary at first but didn't have the $ to buy new. There is not one thing about my iPhone that reminds me of its refurb status.

Did you buy on contract? I've been looking for an off-contract iPhone for my wife.

Anyway, I got 1 refurb from Asurion. It was a samsung fascinate. I had reflashed mine while waiting for it and fixed mine. I went over the refurb as much as possible with a fine-tooth comb. Everything LOOKED good about it... I ended up noticing that on the same volume level as my purchased-new phone, it was VERY low. In fact, on MAX volume it was still very low... I sent the refurb back and kept mine.

MaKidzOnYaLip

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
You're not being honest.

As stated by someone else... why would you expect verizon to give you a new phone? Do you feel that you're entitled to a new phone because you ran your year-old phone through the wash?

Did you buy on contract? I've been looking for an off-contract iPhone for my wife.

Anyway, I got 1 refurb from Asurion. It was a samsung fascinate. I had reflashed mine while waiting for it and fixed mine. I went over the refurb as much as possible with a fine-tooth comb. Everything LOOKED good about it... I ended up noticing that on the same volume level as my purchased-new phone, it was VERY low. In fact, on MAX volume it was still very low... I sent the refurb back and kept mine.

i dont have a reason to lie. maybe they didnt have any 16gb white iPhone 4 in stock, because when they showed me what phone did i have they showed a black iphone and i clicked not my phone and gave me two more options which was a white iPhone and a blackberry.

----------

if a defect does come up maybe try your luck taking it to the apple store, at least you'll get a refurb from them instead of asurion

mnmlist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Columbus, Ohio
After starting this thread, I think it is only fair that I post a follow up. I called Asurion on Friday afternoon and expressed concern about being sent a refurb and I asked if I could get a brand new one. They were more than happy to offer that to me and by 9:30 AM, yesterday (Saturday), the UPS truck rolled up with it. Pretty impressive.

I feel like I need to address some of the posters in this thread that have suggested I shouldn't feel 'entitled' to a new phone. I don't, but thanks for trying to read my mind. I do feel, however, that I would like to get the best possible replacement I can from the insurance company, that's only logical. When I go on the web (and indeed, in this thread) and read some of the 'sketchy' refurb stories, my OCD kicks in.

Bottom line, if you ask Asurion for a brand new phone, and they have one in stock of your model, they will gladly comply. That's the ultimate in customer service and wanting to make your insuree happy. After all, isn't that what we pay insurance for -- to make things like they were before?

Good job Asurion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.