Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukee101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Just bought a Just-Mobile AluPen capacitive stylus that I plan on using for my iPad/iPhone, but wanted to give it a shot on my MacBook Pro's trackpad as well (same capacitive-touch technology).

The problem is that with the MacBook, when you're using a drawing app like Pixelmator, it waits for click input to start drawing "ink" to the canvas. It's not like an iPad where you're either drawing (contact on screen) or you're not (no contact).

How do I get this stylus to work intuitively on my MacBook the way it works on my iPad? I don't want to be clicking the trackpad when I'm drawing. It distorts things and degrades the stylus's tip much faster because of all the added pressure.

There's got to be a way...

PS
I tried enabling "Tap to click" and "Dragging" in the Trackpad settings pane but those don't work intuitively either. There's got to be a better solution.

jahala

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
Inklet is a program that will turn your trackpad into a tablet so it works like the screen of an iphone/ipad. It works well and is not very expensive. There is a trial version so you can see if works for you. I use a capacitive stylus with Inklet and Autograph (by same company) with my macbook and macbook air.

marc.garcia

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Inklet is a program that will turn your trackpad into a tablet so it works like the screen of an iphone/ipad. It works well and is not very expensive. There is a trial version so you can see if works for you. I use a capacitive stylus with Inklet and Autograph (by same company) with my macbook and macbook air.
Hi,

I've just given a try to inkle and one stylus pen by wacom (bamboo) that I borrowed for a quick test.

I didn't like the experience but it may be that the stylus I've used is not the right one. Jahala, could you please elaborate a little more on your experience?

Thanks a lot

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Hi,

I've just given a try to inkle and one stylus pen by wacom (bamboo) that I borrowed for a quick test.

I didn't like the experience but it may be that the stylus I've used is not the right one. Jahala, could you please elaborate a little more on your experience?

Thanks a lot

Inklet is supposed to be used with a specific stylus....Can't remember the name, but it's the same company who DEV Inklet. Be warned though, I tried this stylus (POGO I think) with my iPad and it was horrible.

May be different with the pad though.

----------

Found it, but like I said it didn't work well on the iPad:

http://tenonedesign.com/stylus.php

marc.garcia

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Inklet is supposed to be used with a specific stylus....Can't remember the name, but it's the same company who DEV Inklet. Be warned though, I tried this stylus (POGO I think) with my iPad and it was horrible.

May be different with the pad though.

----------

Found it, but like I said it didn't work well on the iPad:

http://tenonedesign.com/stylus.php

@Macman45, thanks for your response. I know the Pogo stylus and stylus pro... I just didn't know one had to use only those stylus... are you totally sure that's a requirement?

Regarding how well they work, one friend owns a Pogo stylus. I'll make sure I test it before I purchase mine... He complains a lot about that product when used with the iPad.

I must say that this strikes me. I discovered inklet on friday (been looking for a trackpad based solution for a while), and I got really excited. I installed the app and watched the video they provide...

Then I started looking for "the best" stylus and came across a comparison test http://www.macworld.com/article/164440/2011/12/macworld_buying_guide_ipad_styluses.html

There, the Pogo sketch seems to work just fine with the iPad. But then I contacted this friend and he said to me "Do not buy it". And now, you second that...

I'm borrowing it on monday. I'll see how well it works with the Trackpad and report back. If you have one, maybe you could give it a shot, and since it does not work well with the iPad, you may at least use it with the Mac if it tuns out ok.

Thanks again for your comments.

Regards,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.