Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeja7676

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2012
I have watched some time ago on youtube about new holografic concept on IPhone. Can someone explain, is this reality, i.e. does this really work at least in laboratories, or just an animated 'concept' of some future feature.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
augmented display or reality exist today has since 3gs search for it on YouTube or the app store. Not true holographic but I think that's what you mean.

Last edited:

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

That video on YouTube is totally fake. Well done, but fake. You won't see any features like that for a few years at least.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Features like that are just (incorrect) views of the future. It's like how people saw the future in 1985 (Back to the Future, or even the novel, 1984). We have almost nothing like what they have/had, because virtually everything we have is better (ok hover board and flying cars would still be sweet). My point is that I see no reason to be going towards the holographic keyboard. I would expect more data entry to become voice activated, personally.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
wow missed that found it on youtube good the things people will come up with for attention on youtube. :rolleyes:

A lot of projects like this get made for classes, and some people have a lot of fun doing them. I wouldn't call the video in question (if we are looking at the same one) a grab for attention.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I think the OP is talking about that totally fake video on youtube that projected a keyboard on a table and you could type on the table basically.

If thats not what you are talking about, here are some cool augmented reality apps

http://www.tripwiremagazine.com/2011/07/45-brilliant-augmented-reality-iphone-apps.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005E...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B005ES6E6W

The video you're referring to may have been fake but projected keyboards do exist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.