Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
So, when I had MobileMe I would share my calendars with my girlfriend who uses google via the "Add by URL" in Google Calendar.

Once I updated to iCloud, the URLs changed so I went into Google Calendar to add the new URLs but I keep getting the following error
"Could not fetch the url because robots.txt prevents us from crawling the url."

Anyone share their iCloud calendars to google calendar? Anyone having the same problem?

cambrook

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
Yes I get the same message - very frustrating!

I hope that they can get it worked out soon

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Interestingly, I can subscribe to iCloud calendars in Yahoo Calendar perfectly fine, but not Google Calendar (gets the error I listed in the OP).

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Where do you even find the URL of an iCloud calendar to subscribe to it?? I don't see this anywhere on icould.com.

GregTheGrate

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Sharing does appear, but I can't find a URL anywhere

----------

The only way I can find a URL is to copy the link from the email that gets sent to an invitee. Is this the only way?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
i ran into this very same problem today. I also have a friend who uses Windows Live Calendar and he could not subscribe to my MobileMe so he setup a Google Calendar to subscribe to my MobileMe and then he subscribe to the Google Calendar in Live and that worked. Now Google will not Subscribe but he was able to Subscribe with Live to iCloud. However, in Live he did a Refresh Now on the iCloud Calendar but it did get my changes, so maybe it is not really working.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
i ran into this very same problem today. I also have a friend who uses Windows Live Calendar and he could not subscribe to my MobileMe so he setup a Google Calendar to subscribe to my MobileMe and then he subscribe to the Google Calendar in Live and that worked. Now Google will not Subscribe but he was able to Subscribe with Live to iCloud. However, in Live he did a Refresh Now on the iCloud Calendar but it did get my changes, so maybe it is not really working.

Its not working. The only way I see changes is sharing among iCloud accounts. Public sharing needs to get fixed ASAP!

rosslaird

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
Expected Behavior?

I have seen elsewhere (sorry, I can't find the url at the moment) that the Apple tech crew has said that the error "Could not fetch the url because robots.txt prevents us from crawling the url" is "expected behavior" -- in other words, the GCal subscription process is not *supposed* to work. This may be a competition issue between Apple and Google. But even so, it does not look like this is going to get resolved anytime soon.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Just in case you are not aware. This worked when using MobileMe. Google could subscribe to MobileMe Share Calendars (Public).

pt42

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2012
I could find a workaround (some steps) for this that is working for me:

http://pipes.yahoo.com/ei01036/webcal

I agree that this is a bit naive on Google's part, but I would say that Apple's stance is the one that could be considered evil: they know about this and just don't care about their users (pretty much all the other calendar providers allow parsing in their robots.xml file)...

Hope it helps!

CurGeorge8

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2012
I could find a workaround (some steps) for this that is working for me:

http://pipes.yahoo.com/ei01036/webcal

I agree that this is a bit naive on Google's part, but I would say that Apple's stance is the one that could be considered evil: they know about this and just don't care about their users (pretty much all the other calendar providers allow parsing in their robots.xml file)...

Hope it helps!

I tried this method, and was unsuccessful. I used the URL that is sent when you choose "share calendar" and received the error "No pipe results for ical pass through."

Am I using the correct URL? I am trying to access a iCloud calendar that is owned by another iCloud user, but has been shared with me (and a group of others).

fronheiser

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2003
Columbus, WI
I was able to get through this, but unfortunately the time zone came up as GMT rather than GMT-6.

I have friends with Droid phones and I've been able to share to a Google calendar via BusyCal, but some events aren't showing up. It's a perplexing problem.

Tuckinator

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2012
Tried the pipes method myself with mixed results. Seems like my events made it over, but any all-day events or repeating events are not showing up... so if your calendar is all repeating and all-day events you might get nothing out of it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.