Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

daskeyboard.jpg

Das Keyboard, a popular keyboard manufacturer that specializes in "clicky" mechanical keyboards like the Apple Extended Keyboard or the IBM Model M, has announced a Macintosh-edition of its Model S Professional keyboard.

Das's keyboards are a favorite of many computer users, including MacRumors chief Arnold Kim. The Model S Professional for Mac is the same keyboard as the Model S that Das Keyboard has been selling, but with the appropriate "control", "option", and "command" keys for the Macintosh, plus function keys for sleep, brightness +/-, mute, volume +/-, eject, play/pause, next and previous track.

CNET gave the Model S Professional 4/5 stars, praising its "tactile feel and satisfying clack" and noting that "power typists will find comfort, utility, and nostalgia in the Model S Professional's sleek design and springboard performance." The keyboard "brings back the same mechanical key switches and provides tactical and audible feedback that might even improve your typing speed and accuracy." The mechanical key switches of the 2.6 lb. Model S are designed to withstand more than 50 million strokes.

The Model S Professional for Mac will be priced at $133 when it's released, but is available for pre-order for $113. Das Keyboard says it has a limited quantity available for immediate shipping, but the keyboard will be shipped in volume on April 16, 2012.

Article Link: Das Keyboard Releases Model S Professional for Mac

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Das Keyboard, a popular keyboard manufacturer that specializes in "clicky" keyboards like the Apple Extended Keyboard or the IBM Model M, has announced a Macintosh-edition of its Model S Professional keyboard.

Specifically it's a mechanical keyboard. One that uses mechanical switches to operate the keys.

MacAddict2000

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2005
Nice! They could have made the case/key design a little more "Apple" though.

Maybe a clear casing with white keys like the older Apple keyboards (the one I'm using right now) :)

rolfsf

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
never understood...

I never understood the allure of the clicky keyboards - I just assumed it was for people who wanted to sound busier than they actually were.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Not a clicky fan either, but a gloss black keyboard would almost match an iMac better than Apple’s own.

(Why are Apple’s keyboard and mouse still white?? White is gone from the Mac line! I kind of like Apple’s white cables, but lose the white keys! Apple’s keyboards should all look share MacBook Pro/Air colors.)

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Well, the Apple Extended Keyboard II is, deservedly, the BEST keyboard Apple has ever produced, and most probably the best in the history of personal computers. Only those who owned them can tell how good they were; precise touch, excellent feedback and flawless key travel/pressure ratios.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
for the record, I'm not using the Das anymore. After going through some keyboard addiction issues, I'm on the Filco Ninja Brown Tenkeyless

key indicators are on the side:

Attachments

• filco-ninja-majestouch-keyboard.jpg
    filco-ninja-majestouch-keyboard.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 377

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I never understood the allure of the clicky keyboards - I just assumed it was for people who wanted to sound busier than they actually were.

It's less about the "click" as much as it is about the feel of it. The mechanical keys feel very different than standard non-mechanical keys.

arn

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't know about you guys but I have tested myself on an old style clicky keyboard and the new style apple keyboards and I type much faster on the new style. It feels much more comfortable to me too. I can hardly type on old style keyboards anymore!!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've always like the feel of the mechanical type keyboards too. i may invest in one of these new ones later when they come out. - But I do like the standard Apple keyboard a lot too.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Tactile Keyboards

Several years ago, I was at the bank watching the teller type on an IBM keyboard. Out of interest, I asked if it was a Model M keyboard. After flipping the keyboard over, it proved to be a Model M, even though I wasn't sure if it was or not. The clickiness of that keyboard reminded me of my current keyboard, the Matias Tactile Pro, which is easily my favorite keyboard I've used. This Model S looks like it is in similar territory. Not quite sure why they have that "lip" on the top edge of the keyboard, that seems pretty out of place on the keyboard.

biziclop

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
Several years ago, I was at the bank watching the teller type on an IBM keyboard. Out of interest, I asked if it was a Model M keyboard. After flipping the keyboard over, it proved to be a Model M, even though I wasn't sure if it was or not. The clickiness of that keyboard reminded me of my current keyboard, the Matias Tactile Pro, which is easily my favorite keyboard I've used. This Model S looks like it is in similar territory. Not quite sure why they have that "lip" on the top edge of the keyboard, that seems pretty out of place on the keyboard.

Now it is possible to buy an Unicomp-made buckling-spring Model M made for :

http://pckeyboard.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PCK&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=SpacesaverM

I use a plain pc version, and while it is a bit loud, it is a pleasure to use.

grapegraphics

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2003
Canada
White!

I have no doubt that this is a quality keyboard but would love for it to be available in white/brushed aluminum. In my experience, a white keyboard can be seen better in low light. IMHO

Last edited:

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
for the record, I'm not using the Das anymore. After going through some keyboard addiction issues, I'm on the Filco Ninja Brown Tenkeyless

Wow! That's some serious ninja-style stealth typin'. Didn't even know keyboards as cool as this existed.

I'm super happy with the Apple keyboards these days, though.

negatv1

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
MI
Seen? Some of the keyboards don't even have keycaps - it's all Feel.

I have the Matias Tactile Pro, but to me it feels cheap. I like my old school ADB Extended II better, USB-to-ADB adapter and all.

twitter

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
to hear this clicky sound all day in the office is so annoying!!! i nearly bought my windows colleagues some nice quiet mac keyboards

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Not a clicky fan either, but a gloss black keyboard would almost match an iMac better than Apple’s own.

(Why are Apple’s keyboard and mouse still white?? White is gone from the Mac line! I kind of like Apple’s white cables, but lose the white keys! Apple’s keyboards should all look share MacBook Pro/Air colors.)

Maybe they will update the keyboard to black illuminated keys. The USB keyboard could definatley be illumated but I'd imagine you'd need a decent battery on the Bluetooth version to power it for awhile

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
I can safely say that a black (backlit?) version of the apple wireless (or wired) keyboard would be a day 1 purchase for me. My desktop is all about unity, and that would complete it.

dfs

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
California
DasKeyboard

Yes, this is the best keyboard I've ever heard. I used to use a Matias, but it was a dirt-trap, and when a couple of keys stopped working I returned it to the mfr., who refused to honor the warrantee (so caveat emptor!). I’ve had no similar problems with the Das Keyboard. My only gripe about it and the Matias is that both of them are LOUD and probably shouldn’t be used in an environment where they might irritate family members, co-workers etc. (somehow Apple figured out a way to damp down the noise on the Extended Keyboard II). But this “releases Model S Professional for Mac“ is a bit silly. In almost all respects this is the same Das Keybaord Pro as always, for which you could buy a set of Apple-oriented replacement keys.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
I use a Unicomp Model M and love it!

However, I was asked to take it home when I worked at the Sony San Diego Studio. I was told that there were "several complaints" about the noise!

The Model M is not actually a mechanical keyboard. The contact mechanism is, in fact, a dome in newer models. (In the very earliest IBM models, it was hall-effect, I beleive). No IBM Model M has true mechanical switch contacts. (e.g. wiping action).

The magic of the Model M is the patented buckling spring mechanism. It is designed to give positive feedback as to switch actuation. When you hear and feel the "click", the switch has been operated. It is designed to always click AFTER the contact has been made. You know you can then lift your finger.

It is also designed such that this occurs prior to the key bottoming-out. When you type "correctly" on a model M, you are releasing the keys before they bottom-out, minimizing stress on your fingers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.