Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
Apple co-founder prefers Android to iPhone

Published January 16, 2012

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak says he’s a fan of phones powered by Google’s Android mobile operating system, the Daily Beast reported.

While still the proud owner of an iPhone, Woz admits that in certain situations -- such as voice commands and GPS -- Android is a better bet.

“I have a lower success rate with Siri than I do with the voice built into the Android, and that bothers me,” Woz told the Daily Beast. “I’ll be saying, over and over again in my car, 'Call the Lark Creek Steak House,' and I can’t get it done. Then I pick up my Android, say the same thing, and it's done."

"Plus I get navigation. Android is way ahead on that," he added.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/01/16/apple-co-founder-prefers-android/#ixzz1jeA5Co00

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
This is not new information. To be fair, Steve Wozniak just likes gadgets in general and has no brand loyalty.

GOOGLE_stevewhole.jpg

GOOGLE_stevestatue.jpg

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Yep.

"navigate home" on android, so simple and it works perfectly :)
Or "navigate (address)"
Not sure if "navigate (contact)" works but I imagine it does.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and preference. If anyone can actually get angry over someone elses preferences in technology, they should really look at themselves as a human being.

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
“I have a lower success rate with Siri than I do with the voice built into the Android, and that bothers me”

Got to say it's the same for me. Android's thing understands me brilliantly while Siri really doesn't.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Honestly, these days, both OSes have come so far that they are nearly identical in terms of stability and lag; this is really no longer a talking point of comparison. It's really coming down to what features each of us feel is more important that we can get out of each OS. This is a good thing that benefits the end consumer. Go iOS, and go ICS.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Meh,

I see no problems with Woz liking android. He chooses what works best and there's nothing with that.

Given his desire to delve into the nuts and bolts of things, android is a natural fit for him.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Good for Woz. It doesn't matter what he likes or doesn't, except to him. Get what you like and what works best for you and forget about what others think of it.

Woz is obviously open-minded enough to look past Apple and see other brands and gadgets that he thinks are good.

There really shouldn't be a war among people of which phone is better, because it's all subjective anyway.

Last edited:

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
There's nothing surprising. He prefers some features of Android, and prefers some features of iOS.

He's a tech-guy, who just gets the newest things no matter what brand.

Let the man enjoy what he likes.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Wozniak is pretty cool. He doesn't seem to make anything personal, and he tells anecdotes like they are (anecdotes). He related his statement to a story. It's not so much of a tech write up, but rather his personal experience, and he isn't malicious about it.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
As far as voice recognition goes I've never had good luck with. Siri is one of the best I've used even compared to google.

Navigation isn't comparable . I find the iPhone to be almost useless unless I'm on foot in like a city following a pin.

Strange for him to announce that publicly IMO but its cool he's unbiased.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
I don't use Siri. I also think Google's freebie GPS nav app is the best I've seen of that sort of app for a smart phone.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
That's not all Woz said. He also said:

With the iPhone, something happened with the new OS or the new phone, and it just started running through the battery so fast. I’ve had a lot of issues with things I have to turn off just to save the battery life.

Mochi Hana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Texas
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and preference. If anyone can actually get angry over someone elses preferences in technology, they should really look at themselves as a human being.
This, honestly. I never understand why people get into name-calling and other petty arguments just because someone else prefers another platform.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
ironically, I find the speech to text functionality of the iPhone to be leagues ahead of my android experience... I can actually text in the car (well, speak and it will conver to text for me) without the fear of telling someone something vulger!

----------

and I don't really use siri. Ever.

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
I've said the same thing after adopting the iPHone after 2+ years of Android usage.

I found Google Voice search to be able to more, and more consistently than Siri (although there isn't a personality), and Navigation is just light years ahead. There isn't a integrated Navigation that iOS offers, nor third party apps, that compares to the Google Nav experience.

Competition is good though. In the near future we will see both platforms continually closing these different Gaps on each other.

IMHO, where google really needs it is in the Eco System department. I can't beging to describe to you how nice the Apple system is compared to Google's. Google doesnt have a unified approach, there are disparate efforts that really does leave users with a less than satisfying experience.

I have my iTunes gripes, but it's nice to be able to hook up (or wirelessly sync) to my home PC, add music/update software/sync pics/Backup with one software package, and often with little to no clicks.

The future is looking good for we consumers.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Android is better for voice and navigation. Consumption of media in virtually every aspect i sbetter on the iPhone. THat is what keeps me coming back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.