Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
And the suppliers will say "good-by, I'll make stuff for Widowz and Android instead. If you want us to meet these conditions, you (Apple) will have to pay us more for our products to cover the cost difference".

Making the assumption that they would find other customers. Imagine Greenpeace saying "why is company X using Y as a supplier, when Apple cancelled their contract with Y because they are exploiting their employees and destroying the environment"?

MattOfStLouis

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2012
Are these violations of Chinese environmental laws, or are the plants expected to meet US standards? These may be violations of very weak standards that amount to very little protection at best in the first place.

I think they mean violations of Chinese environmental laws. I have done a good deal of work in China's environmental sector (several years), and I'd be fine with that standard. China generally has strong environmental laws but enforcement is very spotty.

Large, rich, foreign, and non-state owned companies (like Apple's suppliers) are more likely to be held to strict compliance. Richer provinces (where most Apple products are made) also are much better at enforcing their environmental laws. The bad polluters tend to be state owned companies or locally owned factories in poorer regions.

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK
Be under no illusion fanboys. Apple is ONLY interested in making money. It does not care about the people who make their products. They will only grudgingly pay lip-service to the issues of human rights and dignity for the sake of PR. If slavery was still legal in the US then Apple would likely have the greatest number of forced labor workhouses in the US operating 24/7. Their products are brilliant but their morals stink. Apple have the financial and political clout to change things for the better for asian workers overnight....but the shareholders would go ape and the CEO would be fired. Their agenda has only one single item...to make as much money as possible at whatever cost. You would have to be naive to think otherwise.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Be under no illusion fanboys. Apple is ONLY interested in making money. It does not care about the people who make their products. They will only grudgingly pay lip-service to the issues of human rights and dignity for the sake of PR. If slavery was still legal in the US then Apple would likely have the greatest number of forced labor workhouses in the US operating 24/7. Their products are brilliant but their morals stink. Apple have the financial and political clout to change things for the better for asian workers overnight....but the shareholders would go ape and the CEO would be fired. Their agenda has only one single item...to make as much money as possible at whatever cost. You would have to be naive to think otherwise.

And what evidence do you have for your opinion?

There are some companies in the world that refuse to make money their top priority, and as a result end up being highly successful and making tons of money. That usually happens when a company makes customer satisfaction and employee satisfaction their top priority. Many people don't get it. Most CEO's don't get it. But Steve Jobs did get it, and Tim Cook would have to be a complete moron if he hadn't figured it out yet. There are other companies as well. Motto: "If you look after your customers, and you look after your employees, then the stock will look after the shareholders all by itself".

Summary: You don't have a clue what you are talking about.

ZipZapRap

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
I think it's very telling about our Western society in general, that topics like this on Macrumors, get a couple of pages comment at most, yet talk about anything related to the tech, Android, whatever, and you get 10-20 pages.

Very sad.

ade2bee

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
And what evidence do you have for your opinion?

There are some companies in the world that refuse to make money their top priority, and as a result end up being highly successful and making tons of money. That usually happens when a company makes customer satisfaction and employee satisfaction their top priority. Many people don't get it. Most CEO's don't get it. But Steve Jobs did get it, and Tim Cook would have to be a complete moron if he hadn't figured it out yet. There are other companies as well. Motto: "If you look after your customers, and you look after your employees, then the stock will look after the shareholders all by itself".

Summary: You don't have a clue what you are talking about.

I think it would be naive to think otherwise

ed724

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Be under no illusion fanboys. Apple is ONLY interested in making money. It does not care about the people who make their products.

And if you started a company and employed people, your soul purpose would be to take care of the workers. Think about your first sentence real carefully. :rolleyes:

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Good to see, but what Apple can do here is rather limited.

Yes, since Apple is paying the suppliers they have very little control over them, much like employers have little control over their employees.

Squidoo02

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Does anyone know who within Apple's management structure oversees supplier responsibility? I can't find anything at all about a corporate citizenship team, and while I know there's a "Supplier Responsibility" team, can't figure out who they roll up to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.