Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
I know with the older iPhones there is only one speaker on the bottom and one mic. Is this true with the new iPhone 4?

I'm only getting audio out of the right speaker. I'm assuming the left speaker is defective because my wires new phone has sound coming out of both.

Does anyone know about this? Has anyone else realized that one speaker does not work? Check both speakers and see, I just realized now after 3 days.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I know with the older iPhones there is only one speaker on the bottom and one mic. Is this true with the new iPhone 4?

I'm only getting audio out of the right speaker. I'm assuming the left speaker is defective because my wires new phone has sound coming out of both.

Does anyone know about this? Has anyone else realized that one speaker does not work? Check both speakers and see, I just realized now after 3 days.

OMG!!!

1.5 million iPhone 4 recalled for defective left peaker.

Wait a minute...

Never mind the left speaker is actual the mic.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2008
lol don't worry op we all fell for this on either one of the past iphones. Imagine how loud the phone would be if it had 2 speakers, would probably shatter the glass on the ip4

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
specs_connectors_20100607.jpg

the Original iPhone, 3G and 3GS all had the speaker on the left side, but with the iPhone 4 Apple moved the speaker to the right, but it still only has 1.

Setter Guy

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010

That's the 3D sound speaker. To hear it, you must use 3D Headphones. If you're in a rush to try it out, tampons dipped in Coca Cola (not diet) and placed in your ears provide a reasonable approximation.

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
Phewww! Thanks. What's strange is when I cover the speaker you can't hear any audio, when I cover my wifes speaker you can still hear it plain as day. Both phones were set to same volume and playing same song.

She obviously has a stronger speaker.

Mjin

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
The iPhone4 has two microphones and one speaker

While most phones have only one microphone, iPhone 4 has two. The main mic, located on the bottom next to the dock connector, is for phone calls, voice commands, and memos. The second mic, built into the top near the headphone jack, is for FaceTime calls and for making your phone calls better. It works with the main mic to suppress unwanted and distracting background sounds, such as music and loud conversations. This dual-mic noise suppression helps make every conversation a quiet one.

trenfro

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2012
I thought the same thing, then i read this forum. It doesn't make sense that is is a microphone. Why would they put those two star-looking things there? Oh wait, those are the microphones!

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Should've been stickied for a long time now.

iPhone so far always have one speaker. The other mesh on the bottom is microphone. The tiny hole near headphone jack is secondary microphone. It's used as noise cancellation so that it can catch your sound better and reduce environmental noise.

Note: It's on the manual, so yeah .. RTM

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I had the same question whe I first got my iPhone (;

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Rocko1 said:
Whats the tiny pinhole on top near the headphone jack?

It's another mic for background noise cancelling purposes.

albania

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2012

all of two speakers were producing music potentialy yesterday, even lock sound is not the same anymore, is more poor :(
do you have any answer for this, thanks !

Catdogchicken

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2011
Sheffield UK
all of two speakers were producing music potentialy yesterday, even lock sound is not the same anymore, is more poor :(
do you have any answer for this, thanks !

No iPhone has ever had 2 speakers on the bottom (2 speaker grill slots yes). 1 has always been the speaker. 1 has always been the mic. This is true as of upto and including the iPhone 4S. Amen... /end.thread

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.