Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
I also vote transmission after using uTorrent and a few others. It uses the fewest resources and pulls the best speeds. Unfortunately I've found even transmission doesn't seem to get the speeds that uTorrent on PC does.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Transmission tho latest build has a bug that consumes data during scheduled off time but if your on unlimited bb it's fine!

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
Always used uTorrent and don't see any impact on my system.

Will defo be trying out Transmission though.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I have used both Transmission and uTorrent and uTorrent wins hands down. It is faster for downloading and seeding and does not use many system resources. It also has a decent GUI these days.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I used uTorrent and one day tried Transmission... I quickly removed uTorrent and have not looked back. Transmission is faster, has a great UI and uses way less system resources.

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
How is it faster btw?

Surely its limited by your internet connection. I max out my connection speed with uTorrent, I'm expecting the same from Transmission.

gloryunited

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
Tried Transmission before and it was slow. Been using uTorrent since then.

I just wish we can change the destination path for each task just like the Windows version.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Reminder: Discussion of torrenting software is acceptable. Discussion of using torrent software to pirate or otherwise download commercial content without permission (irrespective of whether you think this is right or wrong) is not permitted on this forum. Likewise, do NOT post links to sites that are used to find or download commercial content without permission.

halledise

macrumors 68000
Reminder: Discussion of torrenting software is acceptable. Discussion of using torrent software to pirate or otherwise download commercial content without permission (irrespective of whether you think this is right or wrong) is not permitted on this forum. Likewise, do NOT post links to sites that are used to find or download commercial content without permission.

which is why I like Frostwire because all users agree to a condition that one will not
>> use torrent software to pirate or otherwise download commercial content without permission << :)

thus it's a sharing of legitimately-owned content

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
which is why I like Frostwire because all users agree to a condition that one will not
>> use torrent software to pirate or otherwise download commercial content without permission << :)

thus it's a sharing of legitimately-owned content

I was wondering how long it would take for the Internet Police to come. But, discussion of torrent software in NOT breaking any rules. Discussion of pirating copyrighted material is though. Since we do not know how the OP intends to use the torrent software, we do not know if he intends to use it for pirating material, thus his discussion is not breaking any rules. Remember, there are legitimate uses for torrent software besides stealing copyrighted material.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I was wondering how long it would take for the Internet Police to come. But, discussion of torrent software in NOT breaking any rules. Discussion of pirating copyrighted material is though. Since we do not know how the OP intends to use the torrent software, we do not know if he intends to use it for pirating material, thus his discussion is not breaking any rules. Remember, there are legitimate uses for torrent software besides stealing copyrighted material.

I hope this is what I (presumably the internet police) just said. :)

Yes, please just don't link to sites that tell you where to get pirated stuff, don't discuss programs or networks that are only used to get pirated stuff and have no other use, and don't discuss how to use legitimate programs (like the one's being discussed here) to get pirated stuff. It's not a freedom of speech issue -- even without SOPA/etc, putting all that stuff on MR has the potential to jeopardize the accessibility of this forum to its users, as well as potentially places the people who provide this forum at legal risk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.