Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lokoArt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
Hi guys!
Please help me)
My program needs in admin privilege.
I downloaded this sample http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#samplecode/SMJobBless/Listings/ReadMe_txt.html

It shows how to bless my helper tool.
After run in /Library/launchDaemons exists com.apple.bsd.SMJoblessHelper.plist
and in /Library/privilegedhelpertools/ exist my helper tool.

Please say me. How run my helper tool?
I guess that I have to load and start daemon, but how it can?
I'm disappointed...

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Why do you need administrator privileges? First, it means that your application will never, ever be able to be on the App Store. Second, it means that I would be very, very reluctant to use your software.

And it is _impossible_ to run your helper tool without the user entering their password at some point, if that is what you are trying to achieve.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Hi guys!
Please help me)
My program needs in admin privilege.
I downloaded this sample http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#samplecode/SMJobBless/Listings/ReadMe_txt.html

It shows how to bless my helper tool.
After run in /Library/launchDaemons exists com.apple.bsd.SMJoblessHelper.plist
and in /Library/privilegedhelpertools/ exist my helper tool.

Please say me. How run my helper tool?
I guess that I have to load and start daemon, but how it can?
I'm disappointed...

I wrote an app that starts and stops a daemon. I have had a handful of complaints from users that don't want to enter an Admin password to do so. I say too bad. If you're app is doing something as admin and you're trying to find a way around entering an admin password, my question is why? Convenience never outweighs security.

lokoArt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
I wrote an app that starts and stops a daemon. I have had a handful of complaints from users that don't want to enter an Admin password to do so. I say too bad. If you're app is doing something as admin and you're trying to find a way around entering an admin password, my question is why? Convenience never outweighs security.

Thanks... I'm doing it because my pkg installed in Lion with admin privilegies, and owner of my application is root. I have to fix it. And I decided that I'll not use SMJobBless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.