Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cthomas1489

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
So I use a 2011 MacBook Pro as my main computer and I took the HDD out and put a 120GB SSD in. Needless to say I couldn't really hold my music, movies, etc on there anymore so I use a NAS (Synology ds211j) to hold all my media and stream via iTunes Server (for the music anyway).

I'm not a dev or anything so I haven't used any iCloud / iTunes Match features yet but I do have MobileMe (paid for that a few months before they discontinued it).

Anyway, what I'm wondering is if I plan on using iTunes Match (which I do), will it be able to match from my iTunes Server (shared device) or will I have to have it stored locally to match up with Apple's servers?

And just curious.. once I have my music matched with apple (most isn't from the iTunes store) I really don't need to have it stored on my NAS, locally, or backup device since Apple will always allow me to stream it. (It's only the stuff that didn't match that I have to upload which has a certain size cap right?)

Thanks!

Blu-Ray

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Colorado
Looking for help with almost the same situation as the OP. I actually have the exact same NAS too. :)

I have all of my music (around 1000 albums) on my DS211j NAS and am trying to figure out if iTunes Match will work directly with the NAS. Anyone know?

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
There's a limit of 25,000 non-iTunes-purchased songs. You can have an unlimited number of iTunes songs but only 25,000 others.

BTW, the service doesn't seem to check the number of purchased songs when you try to sign up. I have almost 70,000 songs and as soon as I tried to sign up (within a second) it said I had too many and that was that.

jeutie

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2011
Belgium
Depending on the way you set it up, using iCloud, iTunes Match, Genius, etcetera shouldn't be a problem. I have a Synology NAS myself, and have all my music on there, including my iTunes folder. iTunes is targeted at that drive, and uses it without any problem. (If on a Mac you'll have to mount the drive first before opening iTunes, else it won't find the library.) I enabled iCloud, iTunes Match and Genius, whilst it went a little slower, I had no issues.

iTunes Match doesn't allow you to stream music. It streams it a little bit, and downloads the rest of the songs. Alas, if you listen to all your music on a regular basis, it'll stay on your NAS. As said above, there is a limit on 25,000 non-iTunes purchased songs.

If you use Synology's iTunes server, it won't work. If you have any further questions, feel free to send me an e-mail. (I don't check threads / PM's often.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.