Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Occasionally the email app will not download my gmail and a prompt comes up asking me to reenter the password because it's incorrect. The password is correct and I reenter the correct one. I'm able to check my gmail in safari, it's just the email app not working. It has happened before though it just starts working again. Today it has stopped working for several hours. Any idea why it might be doing this? I have gmail setup as an exchange account.

Thanks.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
i had the same issue it was SUPER annoying the best quickest fix I found was to go in google and change my pw and reinput the new pw in exchange and in all my other settings

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Yeah, I had a password with a space in it, and my iPhone would get it "wrong" half the time, telling me my password was wrong, even when I entered it correctly.

The only fix I found was to simply change my password to something else. Something less complex.

Almy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Even though the password was correct I kept getting a failure message. After some googling I found the google captcha site and that fixed my problem.

https://accounts.google.com/DisplayUnlockCaptcha

It happened a couple more times but that still fixed it. Haven't had trouble since but if I do I'll just try to find a way to disable it.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
Just turn the phone off and power back up. That fixes it everytime my Gmail feels like acting up. If after that i'd look at maybe a password reset but power down has always worked for me

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
Have you tried to setup gmail as an exchange account rather than an IMAP account?

I've run into the same issue before but not after I switched my setup to exchange.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Even though the password was correct I kept getting a failure message. After some googling I found the google captcha site and that fixed my problem.

https://accounts.google.com/DisplayUnlockCaptcha

It happened a couple more times but that still fixed it. Haven't had trouble since but if I do I'll just try to find a way to disable it.

Thank you, this seems to have done the trick, it was driving both me and the wife nuts. Worked like a charm.

john.orban

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2009
Thanks, Almy

The Captcha link did it for me. I have an iMac, iPhone, Mac Pro, MacBook, iPad and iPad Mini - I guess Google thought I was trying to pull something on them.

Thanks for the link.

John

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.