Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
How exactly does the Macbook Air cool itself?? There's no vent for air to come out from the fan on the CPU so I am a little confused on how this works. Thanks in advance!!!

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
No, I don't really see them...do you have a picture?

Do you have a macboook air nearby? It's in that area between the LCD panel and the keyboard. It's the ONLY bit of black plastic you can see on the MBA (well, short of the KB, lol).

marc.garcia

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Do you have a macboook air nearby? It's in that area between the LCD panel and the keyboard. It's the ONLY bit of black plastic you can see on the MBA (well, short of the KB, lol).

I've been reading about ventilation and so forth because I'm looking for a hard case and I wonder whether I should go for something official (Speck SeeThru is in Apple Store), or for something "different"

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Clear-Crysta...etTopBoxes&hash=item256a72956d#ht_1252wt_1304

There is quite of a difference in terms of prices but I don't want to damage my air by purchasing something that has not been tested by apple (products on their store are supposed to be sort of certified i've been told).

If the ventilation flow goes through that black plastic piece, this hard case from ebay shouldn't be bad right? What do you guys think?

thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How exactly does the Macbook Air cool itself?? There's no vent for air to come out from the fan on the CPU so I am a little confused on how this works. Thanks in advance!!!
The intake and exhaust vents in all Apple notebooks are located in the rear, near the hinge.
And heat can also escape via the keyboard!
While heat radiates in all directions, no venting is done through the keyboard. The keyboard has a solid piece under it, preventing any meaningful air flow.

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
Easy answer..don't get one. They make the MBA look ugly - it's designed to look slender!

Unless you're planning to take it to a building site or drop it then you're not likely to damage it if you keep it in a case. If you want to keep it scratch free then check out Zagg invisible shield (or something similar)

harryfromglos

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2013
The intake and exhaust vents in all Apple notebooks are located in the rear, near the hinge.

While heat radiates in all directions, no venting is done through the keyboard. The keyboard has a solid piece under it, preventing any meaningful air flow.

Hmm, so why is my 11-inch MBA keyboard getting warm?

----------

the whole metal chassis, too, come to think of it :p

Could that be why my 11-inch MBA keyboard is getting warm?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
"Warm" is rather subjective. My MBA keyboard feels warmer than the aluminum body. But it isn't warm enough to cause me any concern. My 2008 15" MBP would get really hot, to the point that you wouldn't want to put it on your lap while wearing shorts. ;)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hmm, so why is my 11-inch MBA keyboard getting warm?
Heat radiates all directions, especially upward through the keyboard. That doesn't mean the keyboard has vents but rather heat simply dissipates through all the surfaces.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Heat radiates all directions, especially upward through the keyboard. That doesn't mean the keyboard has vents but rather heat simply dissipates through all the surfaces.

Sorry to hijack this thread. However the black strip which you see under your mba is it normal for it to move slightly to the left and right?

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Sorry to hijack this thread. However the black strip which you see under your mba is it normal for it to move slightly to the left and right?

Yes. Slightly. Sometimes, at least in the case of my 2011 11's, it may also be slightly off kilter at the hing edges. My 2013, however, is straight, but still moves just a little.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Yes. Slightly. Sometimes, at least in the case of my 2011 11's, it may also be slightly off kilter at the hing edges. My 2013, however, is straight, but still moves just a little.

Okay thats great. Thanks for the confirmation :)

harryfromglos

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2013
"Warm" is rather subjective. My MBA keyboard feels warmer than the aluminum body. But it isn't warm enough to cause me any concern. My 2008 15" MBP would get really hot, to the point that you wouldn't want to put it on your lap while wearing shorts. ;)

I am now using it from the battery and it is noticeably cooler...perhaps the heat from the charger is radiating up when I use it plugged in?

----------

I am now using it from the battery and it is noticeably cooler...perhaps the heat from the charger is radiating up when I use it plugged in?

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Hey well I do have a mid 2011 model, so since then :apple: have clearly got better built models. :)

I would be very surprised if that guy knows what we are talking about. It takes quite a bit of effort to move, as you and I both know, and its literally a consequence of the design. Every single MacBook Air I have ever used, worked on, deployed, or played with at the Apple Store has done this.

My 2013 still exhibits this behavior, and its not even a week old. I am reasonably sure this is standard operating procedure for this chassis. The MacBook Pro Retina's I deploy at work show this slight movement too.

Last edited:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
OK, I looked a little closer. There is a slight gap on the right side between the plastic and the aluminum, hadn't noticed that before. So I see how it might be possible for the plastic to move, however I am not able to make it move by pushing it with my fingers or even by gently prying it with my fingernail. Why would I want to "take quite a bit of effort" to make it move? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.