Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knifey-Spoony

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Hey, I'm having an issue with my Macbook Pro not booting. I just uploaded a video of the issue to youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dETegUZ1BhI. Basically when hit the power button nothing happens, when I hold down the power button the fans and hard drive will sound like it's starting up, but then it stops and the sleep indicator will flash a number of times.
Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds, to make sure it's off. Then press it again to turn it on. What happens?

LalaMan1

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2012
Hey, I'm having an issue with my Macbook Pro not booting. I just uploaded a video of the issue to youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dETegUZ1BhI. Basically when hit the power button nothing happens, when I hold down the power button the fans and hard drive will sound like it's starting up, but then it stops and the sleep indicator will flash a number of times.
Thanks

Hmm....It's probably a RAM problem, I had the same thing when I upgraded my RAM. Open up the ram casing, make sure you ground yourself as to not fry the chip (just touch something metal), and push the ram all the way in, make sure u press down at like a 25 degree angle and push hard until it clicks in.

Knifey-Spoony

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds, to make sure it's off. Then press it again to turn it on. What happens?

I've already tried that, and removed the battery and magsafe adapter.

Hmm....It's probably a RAM problem, I had the same thing when I upgraded my RAM. Open up the ram casing, make sure you ground yourself as to not fry the chip (just touch something metal), and push the ram all the way in, make sure u press down at like a 25 degree angle and push hard until it clicks in.

I was thinking the same thing, even though I upgrade my ram like 3 years ago, maybe they got loose. I'll try this when I get home. Hopefully this will fix it!

Thanks GGJstudios and LalaMan1 for the help.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

Find the nearest Apple store, or give them a call. It's a bit unclear what exactly they will do - if the laptop doesn't boot, they can't run the diagnosis, so they might not offer free repair... however they should, because on these models, in 9 out of 10 cases, it's the graphics card that caused the failure.

le2anseb

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
Same issue here

Just for the record, I am now having the same issue. I also upgraded my RAM but didn't have an issue until now (it's been about 4 months).

Knifey-Spoony, did you resolve the issue and if so what did you end up doing?

I just double checked my RAM and my MBP is still not booting. :( Anymore ideas?

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
Geez everyone is having similar issue , mines boots but gets stuck on apple logo i took it to apple they told me HD failure... in ur case trying doing SMC reset and see what happens

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.