Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dolphinesian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Hi,

Pretty much every document I create has the following features which seem to be lacking in any of the word processing apps (including Pages) in the iPad app store:

- Outline numbering and headers e.g. 1. Heading 1, 1.1. Sub Heading 1
- Table of contents
- Table of figures
- Table of tables
- Figures captions
- Tables captions
- Insert > Reference (for heading, table or figure)

Does anyone know of any apps that would provide these features?

Thanks

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Hi,

Pretty much every document I create has the following features which seem to be lacking in any of the word processing apps (including Pages) in the iPad app store:

- Outline numbering and headers e.g. 1. Heading 1, 1.1. Sub Heading 1
- Table of contents
- Table of figures
- Table of tables
- Figures captions
- Tables captions
- Insert > Reference (for heading, table or figure)

Does anyone know of any apps that would provide these features?

Thanks

This is why I often start a document in Pages on my Mac and transfer it to my iPad. I do a lot of APA style writing, but I do use my iPad to populate the "meat" of the document.

BTW, I created an APA template, but I have not tried to use it natively on my iPad. I usually populate all titles, headers, ToC's, and references either before I start writing, or after when I do my final editing on my Mac.

svredhead2008

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012
Hubert, NC
I have to agree with Hammie. Pages for iPad is the best word processor for the iPad that I have ever used (come to think of it, it's the best Word Processor I have used for any system). I use it for my Macbook Pro, iPad and iPhone. It's awesome!

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
+1 for OnLive. I have tried it, and it's nice. It is a virtual Windows machine, so you have the full experience.

I also like CloudOn. It does not require the server connection that OnLive does, but it does require your documents be stored in your Dropbox folder.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
Pages all the way. It's fast, it's clean, and it just works, in comparison to Word for mac, which is a memory hog, and it is not as stable.

curtisinoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
Pages all the way. It's fast, it's clean, and it just works, in comparison to Word for mac, which is a memory hog, and it is not as stable.

Getting my first iPad soon (when iPad 3 is released). Does the iPad have a built in app/program that can view and or edit "Microsoft Word" documents or is there a paid app for this?

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Getting my first iPad soon (when iPad 3 is released). Does the iPad have a built in app/program that can view and or edit "Microsoft Word" documents or is there a paid app for this?

Yes, I have always been able to view Microsoft Word files on the device without any extra programs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.