Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eudall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Hi All,

I am currently looking at doing some work using the Freetype2 API. I downloaded the latest stable release (2.4.8) from http://freetype.sourceforge.net/index2.html. After the download I untared the bzip tarball and followed the instructions within docs/INSTALL.UNIX to install:

Code:
   ./configure
   make -s
   sudo make -s install

No errors were reported on the terminal, so I assumed everything was ok and wrote a simple test application following advice from the freetype2 tutorial (http://freetype.sourceforge.net/freetype2/docs/tutorial/step1.html). The application compiles cleanly, however it fails to link. Please see output below:

Code:
Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
  "_FT_Init_FreeType", referenced from:
      _ft_init in ccK9n142.o
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I am compiling the application in the following way:
Code:
   gcc -o ftTest ftTest.c -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/include

I have had a look on Google for this problem, but was unable to find anything useful. I have tried adding '-m32' to the compiler options, per a discussion on StackOverflow, but that produced the same error, but stating architecture i386.

For reference, I am using Mac OS X 10.7.2.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Code:

Ok, I'm not really an expert, but when I compile C/C++ programs, my workflow is

Code:
gcc -c ftTest.c -o ftTest.o
gcc ftTest.o -LIBRARIES -o ftTest

replace -LIBRARIES with your above lib paths.

Eudall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Ok, I'm not really an expert, but when I compile C/C++ programs, my workflow is

Code:
gcc -c ftTest.c -o ftTest.o
gcc ftTest.o -LIBRARIES -o ftTest

replace -LIBRARIES with your above lib paths.

Hi,

Thanks for the fast response, the gcc line I am using provides the same result as yours, but you simply build objects and link these. I double checked using your suggestion, but this provides the same error.

jiminaus

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Sydney
Code:

You've specified where to find the include files, that's good and is why you can compile. But you haven't told gcc to actually link to the freetype2 library. You'll need a -L option and -l (lowercase) option to successfully link. The -L option tells gcc where to find libraries. The -l option specifies a library to actually link against.

Try this:
Code:
gcc -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -lfreetype -o ftTest ftTest.c

Eudall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
You've specified where to find the include files, that's good and is why you can compile. But you haven't told gcc to actually link to the freetype2 library. You'll need a -L option and -l (lowercase) option to successfully link. The -L option tells gcc where to find libraries. The -l option specifies a library to actually link against.

Try this:
Code:
gcc -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -lfreetype -o ftTest ftTest.c

Damn, I knew I had forgot something. Thanks :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.