Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Twilight Elk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Arizona
It's an 80gb iPod Classic; It will connect to the PC for only 3 seconds, then it will eject without syncing or charging. I don't want to restore.

Twilight Elk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Arizona
Reviving this thread because I did not get an answer. If I could get a solution to this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

jewels

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
No one seems to have an answer to this problem.

I too have an 80 Gb iPod Classic that suddenly ejects itself soon after I launch itunes. This is also a new problem- this only started about a month ago.

(If itunes does not automatically launch when I connect the iPod I noticed that the iPod stays connected)

richardhunt

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
It's a bad cable or it's too long. I have this issue with a long cable that came with a 3rd party charger. It works to charge the ipod, heck it even works with an Iphone, it just won't work with the classic and itunes for some reason.

quartzz

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2009
I'm having this problem and still looking for a solution.

my problem, i think, is caused by too many usb devices.

if i have my hauppauge usb tv box, and-or speedtouch adsl modem connected, my ipod disconnects straight away.

sas5209

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2009
Possible bad USB port?

I had this same problem a couple of months ago. Then, all of a sudden it stopped. I didn't think any more about it for a while. Then a couple of days ago I tried plugging in a jump drive, and my pc would not read it, it kept ejecting and reloading. I thought it was a problem with my jump drive. Just a little while later, I plugged my iPod Nano into the same USB port and again, it kept ejecting itself. I then tried a different USB port, and both my jump drive and my Nano worked fine.

Worth a try!

DaninFuchs

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2009
Solved?

Just signed up to throw this out - my roomie has had this problem, iPod Video 80gb Classic fails to sync, disconnects after 3-5 seconds, etc etc.....

Plug it into a powered USB hub. We did, and it worked - my guess is it is due to the device spinning up its hard drive, and overdrawing from the USB port, causing damage (to some) and/or disconnection. Hope this helps.

rembrant

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
Usb

It has nothing to do with usb cable. I have the original usb cable with my ipod classic 80 GB and I had this same problem. Till 3-5 sec connected and auto ejecting.

I plugged the cable into another USB port on my pc and it is now working.

greg.fenton

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2012
Simply wait

On xp64, iTunes sees my iPod then after 2-3 seconds without synchronizing, the iPod disconnects. iTunes still "sees" the iPod, but clicking "Sync" has iTunes freeze while the iPod is blissfully unaware of being connected.

The answer, it seems, is simply to wait. If I wait for 1 to 2 minutes and then have iTunes sync again (clicking the "Sync" button or right-click >> Sync), then the iPod will connect after about 20 seconds and a successful sync ensues.

Bizarre...but then again, I'm running xp64 with iTunes 10.5.2.11 and a Classic 120GB iPod.

Hope this helps a few folks out there (like me when I google this problem again),
greg.fenton

Lin-Lin

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2011
I had this same problem a couple of months ago. Then, all of a sudden it stopped. I didn't think any more about it for a while. Then a couple of days ago I tried plugging in a jump drive, and my pc would not read it, it kept ejecting and reloading. I thought it was a problem with my jump drive. Just a little while later, I plugged my iPod Nano into the same USB port and again, it kept ejecting itself. I then tried a different USB port, and both my jump drive and my Nano worked fine.

Worth a try!

THIS worked for me! now it's syncing just fine :)

Tommy Udo

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2020
Vietnam
I plugged the cable directly into a USB port on the computer instead of going through a USB hub; that fixed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.