Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
London
Hi Guys,

Im trying to get set up with F@H, but i can't seem to get the Client to talk to the work server (i guess thats how it works?) Im a bit new to all this kinda stuff. I have been looking through the guides on the stanford site, but i can't seem to make head or tail of it all. I have tried to get it set up through the terminal/console client, but am a bit clueless. (although fascinated by how it all works!) (i do understand programming to an extent, and am ok with programming instructions but i can't really 'just do it' per se.

At the moment i have the Graphical Interface installed through the system preferences. I have applied for, received through the stanford.edu site and input my passkey into the system preferences pane, and have set myself to be in team 3446.

Is there anything else to do?

Thanks a bunch, very fascinating stuff, and i wanna be involved... if i could figure out how to actually get involved that would be handy ;) heh..

Thanks A lot
Pete

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
thanks for joining our team!

i'm sure there are plenty here to help you, and i'll start off by asking first: which client did you install? (version number? operating system?)

and second, can you post what errors you are seeing?

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
If its the system preferences version, then its likely v6.

Without seeing the log, it's hard to be sure, but i suspect that the normal v6 work server is out of work. Try adding the -advmethods flag to the additional parameters and see if that helps
(first stop the client, wait a minute, add the flag and start it again - i've never had much luck with the graphical clients setting flags properly so it might not stick on your first try)

Hope that helps

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
London
lol.. i can only answer about 2 of the 6 questions set there? ahaha ;)

Twoodcc was correct its version 6, 6.29r3 to be precise. (i do know how to find the F@H text log file under library. (see included) I'm on lion 10.7.2, most up-to date etc etc (I'm obsessive about such things)

Looking in the client.cfg file its stating that I'm anonymous-(although checking system preferences i noticed that it had changed from my name i registered-MWPULSE, to that in the F@H pane, also it wiped my passkey. The team name remained however.

I haven't touched anything under the 'advanced' tab, nor 'networking' I don't use proxies anywhere particularly...

I have also included the client.cfg opened up in textedit (lavv that program sometimes lol)

What is the SMP Argument? Sounds dangerous! haha ;)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-12-29 at 04.09.47.jpg
    Screen Shot 2011-12-29 at 04.09.47.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 258
  • Screen Shot 2011-12-29 at 04.17.02.jpg
    Screen Shot 2011-12-29 at 04.17.02.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 706

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
London
having just again to change, and keep said changes in the sys pref pane, it doesn't want to stick at all?

Is there anyway, i can just bite the bullet n program it all in? Simples like? ;) heh

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I'm going to get this going again. About a year ago I had it running 24/7 for a few months. Then I upgraded my system and forgot about it.

I'll have install it and start contributing again :)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
having just again to change, and keep said changes in the sys pref pane, it doesn't want to stick at all?

Is there anyway, i can just bite the bullet n program it all in? Simples like? ;) heh

i'll be honest in that i don't deal with the sys pref pane much. i would personally recommend that you totally uninstall what you have, and download the console client. from there, we can direct you in setting it up correctly.

if you really don't wanna mess with the console client, i'd still recommend totally uninstalling everything, and re-downloading and installing the client again.

I'm going to get this going again. About a year ago I had it running 24/7 for a few months. Then I upgraded my system and forgot about it.

I'll have install it and start contributing again :)

thanks! we could really use you on our team! :)

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
London
OK i will look at this tonight and see what i can come up with :)

Let ya know how it goes

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
Ok, I have recently got my hands on a 8800GT for my Mac Pro. Ever since I installed it, I have been trying to figure out how to get the CUDA crunching numbers for Folding. Does anyone know how to get this working with the Folding@Home open beta 7 release 5?

In the System Info pic, it states that CUDA is not detected. Even though, I installed the latest Dev drivers, and CUDA drivers for OS X.
Here are some screen shots of what I am looking at:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-18 at 7.05.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-18 at 7.05.27 PM.png
    137.4 KB · Views: 284
  • Screen Shot 2012-01-18 at 7.05.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-18 at 7.05.08 PM.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 301
  • Screen Shot 2012-01-18 at 7.20.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-18 at 7.20.42 PM.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Pretty sure GPU folding for OS X still doesn't work in v7. Maybe in the future. Have you heard otherwise? It says CUDA is not installed. Did you install it?

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
yes it does. that card might work for folding in windows, but you didn't buy a mac to run windows. hopefully we'll get GPU support for mac in the near future though

Even if we do, it may not be very much of a benefit because Macs use ATI cards now, which aren't as good for Folding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.