Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Hello,

I have a Macbook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009) and I would like to know how much RAM will accept. Right now I have 4GB of RAM in it. I think it came with that much. Can I put 6 or 8 GB?

Thanks for the help

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:
  • By visiting EveryMac.com: Actual Maximum RAM
  • By using Mactracker
  • By entering your serial number here to find specs for your model. (Be aware that some models can use more RAM than Apple shows. Check EveryMac or MacTracker to verify.)

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
It looks that I can go all the way up to 8GB

This is the info:
*Apple officially supports a maximum of 4 GB of RAM. Originally, this model was only unofficially capable of stably supporting 6 GB of RAM, but as confirmed by site sponsor OWC, it is capable of supporting 8 GB of RAM if updated to Boot ROM Version MBP51.007E.B05 and running MacOS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard."

Where is the best place to buy them?

----------

My current Boot Version is - MBP53.00AC.B03

This means I can go up to 8GB right?

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What's wrong with OWC?
Nothing. They're a well-established company with an excellent reputation. I highly recommend them, based both on personal experience, as well as thousands of recommendations in this forum over the years. As with any company that does a lot of business, you'll find isolated cases where someone had a less than satisfying experience, but those are quite rare.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
I guess the difference would be noticeable...

Anyone with the same experience with a similar machine?... that would share a feedback on how the computer works after the upgrade to 8GB...

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Yeah... I have a friend that told me that... I'm considering changing to a SSD too and make it part of the new update. More RAM and a SSD... Nice... That would give me a totally new Macbook Pro... Hahahaha. And make me very happy. :)

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I guess the difference would be noticeable...

Anyone with the same experience with a similar machine?... that would share a feedback on how the computer works after the upgrade to 8GB...

If you don't run virtual machines or professional software requiring lots of RAM, there is absolutely no need to upgrade it. My 27" iMac at work runs no faster with 8 GB than my home machine with 4 GB. But when I run virtual machines the extra memory is useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.