Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NorCal916

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Hey,
I was curious if anyone actually knows if there is a difference in the 6th and 7th generation ipod nano's whether its software or hardware related. I went to Walmart today to purchase one but they weren't sure if it was the newest version so I just passed until I can actually tell the difference because I dont want to purchase an older model. Any info would help thanks.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
As far as I know - the only update is the software (and of course, the price). The software is available as a free update if your new Nano comes with the old software when you buy it.

Edit to add - and the part numbers are the same, so you would be unable to tell the difference by looking at the box at the store.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Hey,
I was curious if anyone actually knows if there is a difference in the 6th and 7th generation ipod nano's whether its software or hardware related. I went to Walmart today to purchase one but they weren't sure if it was the newest version so I just passed until I can actually tell the difference because I dont want to purchase an older model. Any info would help thanks.

As far as I know - the only update is the software (and of course, the price). The software is available as a free update if your new Nano comes with the old software when you buy it.

Edit to add - and the part numbers are the same, so you would be unable to tell the difference by looking at the box at the store.

For what it's worth, the employee at the Apple Store assured me that the 6G and 7G nano's are the same.

As for determining the "gen" of the nano from the box, I believe that the label on the box will say what firmware version that it's running. We just bought two nanos at the Apple Store and they both had 1.1 on the box. I'm guessing that a new 7G nano would have 1.2 on the box.

ft

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I know this thread is several months old but, there are slight differences between the 6th and 7th generation Nano. Only a few things changed and it's all internal, upgraded Apple processor and different chip memory. Both versions have the upgraded UI. There is no way to tell the difference without taking it apart, so by all accounts the 6th and 7th generation are the same.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I know this thread is several months old but, there are slight differences between the 6th and 7th generation Nano. Only a few things changed and it's all internal, upgraded Apple processor and different chip memory. Both versions have the upgraded UI. There is no way to tell the difference without taking it apart, so by all accounts the 6th and 7th generation are the same.

it's not upgraded but different AFAIK, it's just different parts numbers/brands w/out improvements?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
As I said, there really is no 7th generation Nano yet. Apple just did some minor internal tweaks to the 6th generation model.

stevemcgee

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
In 6th Generation iPod Nano battery life long enough to support 30 hours of audio play. While similar in function, the 7th generation model improved on this capability with a base life of 36 hours. The 6th Generation iPod Nano offers 80 GB storage capacity, while 7th generation has iPod Nano 160 GB storage Capecity.

JerZyT28

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
In 6th Generation iPod Nano battery life long enough to support 30 hours of audio play. While similar in function, the 7th generation model improved on this capability with a base life of 36 hours. The 6th Generation iPod Nano offers 80 GB storage capacity, while 7th generation has iPod Nano 160 GB storage Capecity.

Is this for real?

Sheev202

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012

This is false. Check out the specs on the Apple website for the 6th generation Nano here: http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/specs.html

There is no 7th generation nano. This is a hoax.

Here are part numbers from Mactracker: MC525LL/A (8 GB Silver), MC688LL/A (8 GB Graphite), MC689LL/A (8 GB Blue), MC690LL/A (8 GB Green), MC691LL/A (8 GB Orange), MC692LL/A (8 GB Pink), MC693LL/A (8 GB Red), MC526LL/A (16 GB Silver), MC694LL/A (16 GB Graphite), MC695LL/A (16 GB Blue), MC696LL/A (16 GB Green), MC697LL/A (16 GB Orange), MC698LL/A (16 GB Pink), MC699LL/A (16 GB Red)

All they did was lower the prices from $150 (8GB) $180 (16GB) to $130 (8GB) $150 (16GB)

It's still the 6th generation Nano.

Battery life is as follows for all 6th generation Nanos: 24 hours music playback

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
The "7th" gen, which is still referred to by Apple as the 6th gen is identical to the 2010 model. The " new" features are obtainable via a software update which adds:
- ability to navigate by large icons
- new clock faces
- new button function allowing double taping of the power button to either stop/start playback or skip forward to the next song.

I believe ifixit tore it down and found no difference between the two, hardware wise.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I thought that the latest nano had some kind of Nike+ update that doesn't need the shoe sensor? And that the previous model didn't? Not sure.

The current iPod nano is the 6th generation. It came out in Sept 2010. Apple updated the firmware (from 1.0 to 1.1) to address concerns about battery life. In October 2011, they updated the firmware to 1.2, which added a few things, one of which was the updated functionality to the Nike+ 'app'.

iPod nanos bought before Oct'10 could be updated to gain all of the current functionality. There are no real differences between nanos bought before or after 10/2011 ... only that 1.2 was built in and the graphics on the boxes were updated.

Internally, there may (or may not) have been changes to component suppliers that result in slight differences. But the consensus is that they aren't significant and don't matter.

ajones46

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Monroe, Michigan
The current iPod nano is the 6th generation. It came out in Sept 2010. Apple updated the firmware (from 1.0 to 1.1) to address concerns about battery life. In October 2011, they updated the firmware to 1.2, which added a few things, one of which was the updated functionality to the Nike+ 'app'.

iPod nanos bought before Oct'10 could be updated to gain all of the current functionality. There are no real differences between nanos bought before or after 10/2011 ... only that 1.2 was built in and the graphics on the boxes were updated.

Internally, there may (or may not) have been changes to component suppliers that result in slight differences. But the consensus is that they aren't significant and don't matter.

Hey thanks.

Alvesang

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Germany
The current version has SanDisk flash memory whereas the former version used flash memory made by Toshiba. Whether that's worth insisting on the "new" nano is up to the individual user.

greatseven

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2012
So its just software upgrade cause from apple website there isnt gen 7th. Maybe all of you have that software ?

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010

I want what you are smoking. If this was true I would ditch my iPod Classic 160gb lol......

----------

P.S. No difference. Just a software update and a price drop.

AT101ET

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
UK (London)
Since the thread has been bumped, I'll give my view. Apple have not released a 7th gen Nano yet. The nano just was sold after apple updated it's software so it's model serial number changed. It offers the same as the older versions which were sold earlier. It's just like the White iPod touch. Its not considered the 5th gen touch. It's the same model which was released with a software update and an alternative to the black touch. It is still regarded as the 4th gen just as the current model nano is still the 6th gen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.