Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

greenpois0n_logo-150x150.jpg

Noted iOS jailbreak author pod2g has teamed up with the Chronic Dev Team to release "Absinthe A5", an enhancement to the popular Greenpois0n jailbreaking tool which adds the ability to perform an untethered jailbreak of the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 for the first time.

A related effort from the iPhone Dev Team will include a command-line tool for more control over the jailbreaking process and to assist with diagnosis and repair. Absinthe is currently available only for Mac OS X, although versions for Windows and Linux are set to follow shortly.

Jailbreaking is the process by which users can open up their iOS device systems to load third-party software and hacks not authorized by Apple. Procedures for jailbreaking iOS devices are typically divided into two categories: "tethered" tools that required the device to be connected to a computer each time it is booted, and "untethered" tools that allow the device to be booted independently.

Untethered jailbreaks are obviously the more highly desired of the two forms, and Absinthe represents the first of these untethered jailbreaking tools for iOS devices such as the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 that run Apple's A5 system-on-a-chip.

Device and iOS version combinations that can be jailbroken using Absinthe include the iPhone 4S running iOS 5.0 (9A334) and 5.0.1 (9A405 and 9A406) and all models of the iPad 2 running iOS 5.0.1 (9A405).

Apple warns that jailbreaking can void a device's warranty, and users should be aware of the potential implications of jailbreaking their devices, but most issues can be resolved using common jailbreak tools and devices can be reverted to their non-jailbroken states if necessary.

Update: The Greenpois0n site is currently seeing intermittent availability issues undoubtedly related to high traffic coming from the new release.

Article Link: 'Absinthe A5' Brings First Untethered Jailbreak for iPhone 4S and iPad 2

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Rejoice! Other than jailbreakme.com, this is one of the most simplified jailbreaks. You don't even need to put it into DFU mode.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-20 at 12.27.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-20 at 12.27.58 PM.png
    214.1 KB · Views: 454

Faelyn

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
Joshua Hill @p0sixninja:

"the greenpois0n website has to load on the device in order for the jailbreak to be triggered :-\"

Guess what's completely overloaded at the moment? Riiight :)

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Meh.. I used to be a jailbreak freak but I stopped ever since it took ages for JBs to come out. I quit pirating apps and learned to live without themes and some of the rather nice utilities like SBSettings. When 5.1 comes out it'll (probably) be a long wait again. Nevertheless appreciate the effort that the JB team puts in every time.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
This is a serious question and i hope someone could answer it. I dont get why people keep jailbreaking their iPhone instead of just getting an android? Im an iPhone user and i like it the way it is. if i wanted a jailbroken one, i would simply get a (cheapier) Android..

is it because of the apps? I really just want to know.

guywoodman7

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
New York
This is a serious question and i hope someone could answer it. I dont get why people keep jailbreaking their iPhone instead of just getting an android? Im an iPhone user and i like it the way it is. if i wanted a jailbroken one, i would simply get a (cheapier) Android..

It's the best of both worlds.

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008

The only remaining reason really is that people want to pirate things.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

Some of us don't like using android, and like iOS+ a bit more. Simple as that seeing as android != jailbroken iOS in the slightest.

Bartboy919

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2005
It's crazy how fast that Site went down. Damn, oh well, I got my download. If anyone wants a Cached version, check out idownload blog's Download page. I hate that site for it's blatant fanboyish writing staff, but if it provides downloads, I'll gladly take them.

Boston007

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Someone explain

I'm not being arrogant, so please try to help me understand why people jailbreak?

Besides being able to tether without dealing with your cell provider, I see that as a big positive but what else?

There are HUNDREDS of apps already available, no need to jailbreak.

Customizable? Doesn't really interest me, that's mostly a cosmetic thing.

What are the real benefits? Plus I hear more stories of people go back because they had more problems having the phone jailbroken.

Thanks

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I'm not being arrogant, so please try to help me understand why people jailbreak?

Besides being able to tether without dealing with your cell provider, I see that as a big positive but what else?

There are HUNDREDS of apps already available, no need to jailbreak.

Customizable? Doesn't really interest me, that's mostly a cosmetic thing.

What are the real benefits? Plus I hear more stories of people go back because they had more problems having the phone jailbroken.

Thanks

So you don't like doing the stuff that makes others interested in jail breaking. Others do.

/question answered.

Bartboy919

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2005
The only remaining reason really is that people want to pirate things.

Really, if I recall correctly, Apples stock SMS app is HORRIBLE. I gladly paid the Bitesms Developers $8 to use their App BitseSMS. It's just SO MUCH BETTER. There is really no comparison.

People like you are why I dislike some people in the tech community, I really have no interest in pirated apps, what I'm interested in is a platform that is not full of BS only apple "approves". I'll gladly use my data how I choose, whether it be on my phone or on my computer, thank you very much. Which means I will have a tethering app on my phone relatively soon.

Boston007

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
So you don't like doing the stuff that makes others interested in jail breaking. Others do.

/question answered.

Yes, I see zero interest in those things except being able to tether without paying extra for it. That's about it. Even then I don't see the need to jailbreak. I guess I just wanted to make sure that was IT with regard to why people jailbreak.
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.