Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
lol....You guys sound like advocates for at&t.

Not at all, I'm a customer just like you and would rather have all you can eat in an ideal world... but it's not an ideal world and we have to adjust to the times and rules ;)

Who is advocating here? The last couple dozen posts I only see truths being told. People simply are saying what is happening, why it is happening, and what can be done to avoid being throttled.

I agree lordofthereef :)

Not advocating at all, just trying to be a realist is all. Rules change all the time and its up to us adjust to them accordingly.

boredandlonely

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
There absolutely is a difference. By forcing customers to choose an explicitly tiered plan, they'll be placing those customers in danger of having to pay additional overage fees if they accidentally exceed their monthly tiered limit.

At least with your current plan, you would never need to worry about the possibility of accidentally having a larger data bill than you had budgeted for, no matter how high you accidentally allow your consumption to creep. (Pun intended...)

But with my current *throttled* plan, the SPEED is so slow it's useless. If I use less than the cap over the month long period (whatever they claim is the cap), then the PLAN becomes near useless.

So unusable plan that rips me off for unusable service, vs. usable plan that rips me off for using the service. IMO, same difference.

I Apple being happy that people can't use their iPhones with AT$T if they hit 2GB as anything more than a dumbphone for half a month unless they are on WIFI. I wonder if Android phones are getting throttled too?

@Apple: Save us!

if I'm paying more than the 2Gb tier costs one could expect to get a little more data before they throttle back. Logic says that if 2GB = $25, a $30 plan should offer at least (2Gb/$25)*$30=2.4Gb before starting to throttle... but again thats thinking logically... something we know AT&T isn't capable of...

EXACTLY!

But I got a tethering notice in Oct so I haven't tethered since... last month as you can see I used 3.7 GB but received no warning of any kind... yet this month as soon as I hit 2Gb... BAM. Warned.

Hear that people who don't tether? You're boned too.

I'm on AT&T and I got my notification about being in the top 5% maybe a week ago. I am at 2.06GB according to AT&T.com

I just ran speedtest and my DL speed is an astonishing .06 Mbps w/ .75Mbps upload.

This is completely ridiculous and I'm pretty angry at this. I am grandfathered in w/ an unlimited plan.

I know posting here won't solve anything but I'm just pissed and need to vent. AAAAAAGHHHHH :mad:

Complain to the FCC. I haven't gotten calls back yet, but the other guy on here did. Waiting with much anticipation for his results, and to hear from the FCC myself. Even if NOTHING results of it, the FCC is obviously noting the complaints. Even if THAT results in nothing, #ATTfail is still FORCED to deal with the FCC and my complaints. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I think I'll look into a complaint to the Better Business Bureau as well, while I wait for the FCC.

It's easy to point blame. I would argue they are not the only ones at "fault". If they were, ATT would throttle them, but not you, since you don't use that much.

EXACTLY!

Who is advocating here? The last couple dozen posts I only see truths being told. People simply are saying what is happening, why it is happening, and what can be done to avoid being throttled.

Well said. If this thread were all opinions, it would be pointless. You know, like most of the comment sections of every page on the internet.

A new thought... Now that the "cap" has apparently settled at 2gb for a couple months... Wasn't the cap allegedly going to be based on the quantity of alleged overuse? And if the overuse has been cut off, wouldn't the cap change? Sounds like another #ATTfail lie to me. An arbitrarily determined cap that had nothing to do with the AMOUNT of overuse. I bet the 2gb cap was determined by "how much can we cut them back, while still making a 1000% profit?" Think that's a ridiculous theory, and #ATTfail would never rip you off like that? Take a look at the 6,135,685,100% profit they make on SMS messages: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/91379

Saw this throttle comparison article today too:
http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/01/appadvice-daily-special-report-the-truth-behind-att-throttling-hands-on-investigation

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Take a look at the 6,135,685,100% profit they make on SMS messages: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/91379

I didn't spend the time to read through the comments, so it may have been mentioned on that very site, but it's worth mentioning that the profits ATT makes here (that insanely large number) on SMS are strictly on in-network texts. It costs them substantially more (although not nearly enough to be in the red) when you send texts off network. The more you send off network, the more of your $20 unlimited plan you are using. Hope that makes sense. :)

At the end of the day, texts are one of those things that have a value because users allow them to (and data has gone that way as well). I didn't send texts until very recently, and only because my work essentially required I be available at certain times throughout the day (I am compensated for this). Since then I have become quit the texting freak, racking up over 5,000 texts a month, most months. Where I used instant messenger before, I am now using texts (a bit backwards, I know, but I still do know people not on the smartphone bandwagon). It is basically a convenience thing. The same way landline minutes calling from San Francisco to New York shouldn't shouldn't cost what they do (the infrastructure has been paid for many times over), texts shouldn't cost the kind of money they do either.

Last edited:

boredandlonely

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Regarding SMS.

The point I was trying to make was simply that yes, they ARE evil. There's a reason they are constantly rated the WORST in customer service. In fact, I have 2 paper cups connected by a string that are rated better than #ATTfail.

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
As was recommended I went to the FCC site and filed a complaint online. I don't know if it will actually get anything done but it's a good starting point for something to at least have our complaints on file somewhere.

The link is http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

I strongly encourage everyone here to fill out the form and submit it. It didn't take me more than 5 minutes to do.

Vaughn Logan

Jan 20, 2012
AT&T Bandwidth Throttling

*** Must Read ***

I urge everybody to file a complaint with the FCC. They will examine if there is a policy violation on unlimited plans regarding bandwidth throttling. Every complaint has to be answered by AT&T in writing within 45 days. Phone 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322).

*** Example Text ***

I wish to file an informal complaint with the FCC against AT&T Wireless. I want to examine the possibility of “Policy Violations” and/or “Violations of Policy that are In Development” on the part of AT&T.

AT&T has determined that I am in the top 5% of monthly data consumption users, but has not clearly defined in specific terms (either in Kilobytes of Megabytes) how much monthly data usage they arbitrarily consider too much. And if this were a genuinely defined “Unlimited Data Plan”, it should not matter.

I am under a 2-year contract with AT&T’s grandfathered “Unlimited Data Plan”. I pay on time each and every month for this signed, committed, and contracted wireless service. I have also recently paid to upgrade my handset to an iPhone 4S for the express purpose optimizing my data speeds and enhancing my data performance.

AT&T banners itself as a “Network of Possibilities” offering 2 layers of network technology that deliver 4G or “Fourth-Generation Wireless” speeds that encompass HPSA+ (High Speed Packet Access Plus) and LTE (Long Term Evolution) wireless technologies. Yet, AT&T is limiting my data by invoking “Bandwidth Throttling” and/or “Bandwidth Capping” at rates that are considerably less than even accepted 3G speeds.

“Unlimited” is defined by Merriam-Webster as:

1. lacking any controls : unrestricted
2. boundless, infinite

I believe that AT&T has knowingly misled their customer base by falsely offering an “Unlimited Data Plan” to capture early market-share. To now compensate, AT&T is now imposing intentional and substantial data limits. I believe that AT&T has oversubscribed their network capabilities while failing to upgrade their network capacities to support current market demand. We the customers are left holding-the-bag because AT&T has failed in the proper “Capacity Planning” and “Capacity Execution” of their network.

*** Additionally ***

(1) Be Sure To File An "Informal Complaint" vs. a "Formal Complaint". An Informal Complaints Insures That There Is No Cost To You. A Formal Complaint Is Used To Lay The Groundwork For A Law Suit ... Big $$$.

(2) Be Sure To Use The Term "Violations of Policies That Are In Development". This Covers Grey Areas Which Are Yet To Be Defined Under Current Laws.

The FCC Is Taking Notice ... We Need To Get The Number Of Complaints To A Level Where It Becomes One Of Their Top Issues.

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I don't use nearly enough data to worry about at&t throttling me. I have use wifi pretty much exclusively. I also don't stream movies, or Pandora, etc.

Vaughn Logan

Jan 20, 2012
I don't use nearly enough data to worry about at&t throttling me. I have use wifi pretty much exclusively. I also don't stream movies, or Pandora, etc.

Then you have nothing to worry about, do you? This message is intended for the rest of us who do.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I would not pee on the FCC if they were on fire!:p

AT&T has the right to protect it's network for the rest of us who do not abuse it!:mad:

NoHo

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, now. But that doesn't mean you won't in the future when everything is digital.

----------

IAT&T has the right to protect it's network for the rest of us who do not abuse it!:mad:

Using 2.5GB is abusing it?

Wow, you're really going to hate the people who are now on 3GB and 5GB tiered plans.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Who are "They" and what are "They" going to come for? Just curious.

Regarding "Protecting Their Network", I have the following comment:

I believe that AT&T has knowingly misled their customer base by falsely offering an “Unlimited Data Plan”, when in fact they are imposing intentional and substantial data limits. I also believe that AT&T has oversubscribed their network capabilities while failing to upgrade their network capacities. We the customers are left holding-the-bag because AT&T has failed in the proper “Capacity Planning” and “Capacity Execution” of their network.

Anyway, the rest of my comments are going to filed in a civil litigation case. Enjoy the weekend everyone.

Great idea and plan, I commend you sir.

By they I mean ATT and by come for you I mean they will continue to use lower bandwidth numbers to come after people, maybe one day ATT will decide that 250mb is in the top 5% in your area.

However all I was infering was that it is time to take a stand, and you sir are doing so, again great plan.

shawndre

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
I would not pee on the FCC if they were on fire!:p

AT&T has the right to protect it's network for the rest of us who do not abuse it!:mad:

Dude I just got throttled today. I have the unlimited plan and got throttled at 2.1 gigabytes. How is that abusing it? AT&T is ripping us off

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Dude I just got throttled today. I have the unlimited plan and got throttled at 2.1 gigabytes. How is that abusing it? AT&T is ripping us off

2GB isn't abusing it. That's not what he meant. You can thank all the a holes over the past year who used way over 10GB and streamed Netflix all day. Its because of them that there are no more unlimited plans and 2GB caps (for some.)

And its a shame that people using around 2-4GB a month are being throttled. But it is what it is and nobody can do anything about, AT&T has every right to throttle. At least they let us keep the unlimited plan. What baffles me is all the cry babies constantly complaining about it thread after thread. If its such a problem THEN SWITCH TO VERIZON OR A TIERED PLAN. JESUS CHRIST!!!

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
How can you say that? What do you work for AT&T or something. If you pay for something and you don't get what you originally agreed upon, you have every right to be upset and demand remedy

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
How can you say that? What do you work for AT&T or something. If you pay for something and you don't get what you originally agreed upon, you have every right to be upset and demand remedy

You can thank all the bandwidth hogs for that one. And when you signed up you agreed that AT&T can change their terms and conditions any time they want.

We may change any terms, conditions, rates, fees, expenses, or charges regarding your Services at any time. We will provide you with notice of material changes (other than changes to governmental fees, proportional charges for governmental mandates, roaming rates or administrative charges) either in your monthly bill or separately. You understand and agree that State and Federal Universal Service Fees and other governmentally imposed fees, whether or not assessed directly upon you, may be increased based upon the government's or our calculations.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
If we increase the price of any of the services to which you subscribe, beyond the limits set forth in your customer service summary, or if we materially decrease the geographical area in which your airtime rate applies (other than a temporary decrease for repairs or maintenance), we'll disclose the change at least one billing cycle in advance (either through a notice with your bill, a text message to your device, or otherwise), and you may terminate this agreement without paying an early termination fee or returning or paying for any promotional items

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
If we increase the price of any of the services to which you subscribe, beyond the limits set forth in your customer service summary, or if we materially decrease the geographical area in which your airtime rate applies (other than a temporary decrease for repairs or maintenance), we'll disclose the change at least one billing cycle in advance (either through a notice with your bill, a text message to your device, or otherwise), and you may terminate this agreement without paying an early termination fee or returning or paying for any promotional items

Yeah well no one said life was fair. The fact is this is what you agreed to when you signed your contract. They have every right to throttle and maintain their network.

I don't understand why people just don't switch to Sprint which advertises "TRULY UNLIMITED DATA." This is what everyone wants isn't it?

Last edited:

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Yeah well no one said life was fair. The fact is this is what you agreed to when you signed your contract. They have every right to throttle and maintain their network.

I don't understand why people just don't switch to Sprint which advertises "TRULY UNLIMITED DATA." This is what everyone wants isn't it?

Tell me the difference in unlimited versus truly unlimited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.