Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cioccolata

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
I have Apple TV 2. I have jail broken it with seasonpass. I know it's jailbroken because I have the logo on bottom right of the screen. When I hook it up to my computer and start winscp, I type in the ip address from network setting on apple TV, and I have tried root,alpine and frontrow,frontrow for username and password, and neither work. I have it hooked up to my PC via mini usb.
Am I supposed to have the power cable hooked up?
Should I have Itunes open?
Should I have an Ethernet cable hooked into it?
It is coming through my router, but when I look in my router, it is recognized.
I don't know what other information I can give you.
Please help.

Taank

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2010
Unplug the micro usb from the apple tv. Hook up the Apple TV however you normally do next to your tv. Ethernet, wireless, whatever. Power, hdmi, etc.
So, now your apple tv is connected to your network and using the ip you noted earlier.

Now, go to your computer and ssh to it. root. alpine.

See how that goes.

jalo215

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
I'm HAVING SAME ISSUES BUT DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT U MEAN BY CONNECT ATV TO TV THEN SSH INTO FROM COMPUTER.

DO I CONNECT THE ATV TO COMPUTER WITH MICRO USB AND SSH INTO AFTER I CONNECT IT TO TV OR WHILE ITS CONNECTED TO TV?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I'm HAVING SAME ISSUES BUT DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT U MEAN BY CONNECT ATV TO TV THEN SSH INTO FROM COMPUTER.

DO I CONNECT THE ATV TO COMPUTER WITH MICRO USB AND SSH INTO AFTER I CONNECT IT TO TV OR WHILE ITS CONNECTED TO TV?

first, before you can get ssh to work, you need to get a new keyboard, since apparently your caps lock is stuck on, and the username, password and all commands you'll have to type are case sensitive.

SSH goes over ethernet (wireless or wired), not usb.
so if the aTV is up and running and connected to your network, you can connect to it.
if the aTV is connected to your television, you'll be able to go into settings to find the ip address for the TV, as well as being able to check that it's running properly.

jalo215

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
first, before you can get ssh to work, you need to get a new keyboard, since apparently your caps lock is stuck on, and the username, password and all commands you'll have to type are case sensitive.

SSH goes over ethernet (wireless or wired), not usb.
so if the aTV is up and running and connected to your network, you can connect to it.
if the aTV is connected to your television, you'll be able to go into settings to find the ip address for the TV, as well as being able to check that it's running properly.

I fixed my keyboard ....it was never broken :)

thanks waw74 for that info it worked for me. Thanks for making it clear that ssh into atv2 isn't done with usb like the iphone .

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I fixed my keyboard ....it was never broken :)

thanks waw74 for that info it worked for me. Thanks for making it clear that ssh into atv2 isn't done with usb like the iphone .

SSH into iPhone isn't done by USB either.

jpmoneystar

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Fast Way To SSH If You Have Android Device

Fast way to ssh without a computer or apple device. I was a big iPhone fan, I even have a fan page on facebook with 7000 fans but lost interest after changing to android which I enjoy a lot more. Apple is too controlling of their devices that they sell to "YOU" but it seems like they still own it. I am a fan of thier Mac Mini and iMac or Macbooks. Mac mini is the best because of the price tag and because all you need is an HDMI cable and you have the best monitor anyone could dream of. YOUR 50, 60 OR MORE INCH TV. A wireless mouse and keyboard, XBMC, Boxee, iTunes etc and you have Couch surfer and the best entertainment system ever. Save your money and get one of those. I didn't know XBMC was available when I bought both atv2 and Mac mini but I'm glad I did. No Jailbreak, No Buy People.
The new Apple Tv 3 is still not jailbreakable and they dont seem to get it that people mostly buy their devices to jailbreak (especially the atv) What is so special about the atv if you cant jailbreak. If the atv 3 cant be jailbroken I hope people wake up and buy Android devices even their TV. Enough of that.
Thought I would share an SSH alternative for those who don't feel like turning on your computer and would like to do a quick SSH into their devices. This is android so you can use your android phone or tablet to SSH repository or scripts into your ATV or idevice. I use es file explorer a free android app to SSH into my apple TV 2. Since I use xbmc on my LG Optimistic 2x and my Acer A500, I have all the repo's on them. Great to use to clean up cache and memory on the atv2. When you download es file explorer and open it you will see your folders you then swipe to the right twice and at the top left corner you will see a button FTP you press and you will see other options. Choose sftp and a box will pop up which is similar to cyberduck on Mac (I can't remember how winscp or windows version looks, Mac is the Mac)
Fill out the info exactly the same IP, root, password and it will show your connection icon which you then press. Find var and press, then mobile and add your repo's.
If you want to SSH with terminal like on Mac you can also use Better Terminal Emulator which also has a pro version which I use. You choose BTEP (I'm not sure if local would work I'm assuming local will do your android device) and fill out the info the way you would with cyberduck. You can than choose 'create shortcut' which will put a widget on your home screen. You can then access SSH fast just press and start sshing you apple TV or iPhone. I find this way to be so much easier and while your watching your apple TV. Sometimes the memory/cache gets full oso instead of turning on the Mac and waiting then opening cyberduck and waiting, I just turn my sleeping android device on and press and go with es file explorer or with better terminal. I hope this helps. I have one question. Has anyone found a working stagevu repo? Let me know if this helps.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.